nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Software (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   An improved IE (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=288)

saturnotaku 08-01-02 04:58 PM

An improved IE

I'll come out and say it. I like Internet Explorer. It's the most compatible web browser out there, it's fast and pretty easy to use. But one of my own criticisms of IE is the fact that there's no support for tabbed browsing like there is in Mozilla or Opera. One of our friends from across the Pacific has addressed this concern with his program called MyIE2. In addition to tabbed browsing for IE, there are a whole host of other options available for your purusal and customization.

The current version is 0.45 build 1200. It's only about 600 kb to download and you can pull it from MajorGeeks. So far I've suffered from none of Opera's page incompatibilities and Mozilla's instability. If you're an IE junkie but want tab support, give this program a shot. :)

fishlung 08-01-02 05:57 PM

I also have to admit that I think IE is great. Working in web design/publishing, I absolutely hate having to tweak HTML and JavaScript to work with Netscape. I honestly can't stand Netscape (especially the latest). I've used IE so much that I've grown extremely partial to it, and I think it runs flawlessly (as a browser gets). MyIE2 sounds even better. Thanks, I'm going to have to give it a try :)

saturnotaku 08-01-02 06:03 PM

I was concerned at first about its popup control. I have the Popup stopper companion installed for IE and it does a great job. I was worried that it wasn't working with MyIE. But I think I got popup stopper to work by enabling IE browser extensions within the MyIE options.

So far so good on the sites I visit that are popup laden.

I have to agree with you about the development aspects of IE. Netscape is an utter pain for a developer. IMO, Opera and Mozilla have superceded Netscape in terms of the usability.

volt 08-01-02 06:22 PM

I have to disagree with saturnotaku when it comes to Mozilla and compatibility / stability. I've been running Mozilla 1.0 (now 1.1b) and I can't say anything bad about that browser. It's very fast and stable for me. There is only one (currently) bugger though. I hate it's Bookmark manager. So far IE has the best bookmarking capabilities. Thanks for the link though, will definetly try that one :)

McBane 08-01-02 07:44 PM

Ie is T3h W0rst....

Only reason that filth is still/will ever be on my comp is that Bill won't allow other browsers access windows update....:mad:

saturnotaku 08-02-02 12:22 AM

The thing is, a lot of web sites will only be fully functional with Internet Explorer whether you like it or lump it. Like when I was doing configurations and ordering for my laptop, I couldn't use any browser but IE because the links wouldn't work properly with either Mozilla or Opera.

For generic web surfing, I would absolutely use an alternative browser. I personally prefer Mozilla to Opera but the two are very close.

Tomorrow morning I'll definitely head over and download Mozilla 1.1b, though MyIE2 is working out exceptionally well for me.

McBane 08-02-02 05:18 AM

Bleh...The only site that hasn't worked for me in Opera is Windows update...Mozilla had a few more....bleh...I guess Opera is just suited better to my browsing needs....

DadGT 08-02-02 07:33 AM

I have to say that IE is NOT the most compatible browser with regards to standards. The don't properly implement some tags of CSS1 (let alone CSS2) and they handle other things wrong. They look like the most compatible because web designers can sometimes fudge web pages to work with specific browsers. Check out this PNG Demo with IE and tell me what you see.

Ars Technica put up a review of Mozilla. Follow this link to read the review.

PCarr78 08-02-02 08:13 AM

Mozilla crahes a lot

volt 08-02-02 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DadGT
I have to say that IE is NOT the most compatible browser with regards to standards. The don't properly implement some tags of CSS1 (let alone CSS2) and they handle other things wrong. They look like the most compatible because web designers can sometimes fudge web pages to work with specific browsers. Check out this PNG Demo with IE and tell me what you see.

Ars Technica put up a review of Mozilla. Follow this link to read the review.

http://rootforce.phpwebhosting.com/s...ts/mozilla.jpg

styles-T 08-02-02 02:49 PM

What about system resources?

Which Explorer would you recommend..when it comes to memory and system resources?

vampireuk 08-02-02 04:52 PM

I personally have no complaints with IE, it does what I want it to do and im rather use to it:)