nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   What distro do you use? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28936)

Kamel 05-19-04 08:36 AM

What distro do you use?

just curious -- usually a poll like this exists on message forums. being a gaming forum with linux, i feel a poll of what distro/flavor/os you like best would be helpful in deciding which distro to use for gaming.

me personally, i love gentoo linux. the customizability and seeing only 1 thing when i do lsmod makes me almost as happy as using 40mb of memory when i first boot and start the GUI. btw, stage one install; of course.

netviper13 05-19-04 09:43 AM

Re: What distro do you use?

I use Fedora, and am currently downloading Core 2.

connyosis 05-19-04 01:49 PM

Used Redhat, Mandrake and Slackware before I tried Gentoo. Now, I'm never going back. Gentoo rocks, period.

Kamel 05-19-04 04:06 PM

heh, i totally agree. btw, i've probably tried more distros than most have... i've tried redhat, mandrake, suse, slackware, freebsd, knoppix (is that considered "trying a distro"?), and debian. -- so my opinion isn't based on a "i'm used to this distro so i use it" basis; like many are ;/

utanja 05-24-04 09:47 PM

i have used RH since v. 5 thru 9 and fedora1...but i settle into debian....i like the minumal amount of bloat and hate RH ne w policy about service and support...

paulmer2003 05-25-04 09:48 PM

i use Slackware. ive tryed Redhat, shedrake (mandrake), redhat, freebsd. i hated redhat and mandrake there 2 nooby and bloat'y for me. i then tryed freebsd and it was okay, it was fast, but i had 2 learn a new os (unix/bsd) and that was a pain in tha ass then i tryed slackware and i loved it. moral of stopry, use slackware

paulmer2003 05-25-04 09:50 PM

also, on mac os x. so x is VERY nice and it would b toe and tow w/ linux. i love mac's. but the problem is that they are so damn over priced, it is amazing. someday i will get a mac...i hope

Imek 05-30-04 04:40 PM

I'm using Gentoo- I've tried many distros, and it's the one that appeals to me most. Though I am also planning to try FreeBSD and Debian soon.

sorinakis 05-31-04 07:54 AM

I'm using TFM (Alpha Desktop Preview), so I voted "other" :)

kurt454 06-01-04 06:31 PM

Using Slackware 9.1 on one machine. Playing around with Fedora Core 2.

dschueths 06-01-04 11:06 PM

Poll should separate RedHat from Fedora....not many users of RedHat anymore.

Kamel 06-01-04 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dschueths
Poll should separate RedHat from Fedora....not many users of RedHat anymore.

that's actually why i combined them *shruggs*

if you like i suppose i could fix it