nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Nvidia/X/console problem (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29023)

jinxen 05-21-04 08:28 AM

Nvidia/X/console problem
 
When i ctrl+alt+backspace from my desktop, the monitor goes into standby mode and i can't get to the console. I can get back to my desktop again by writing startx, but i dont see it. pretty annoying i say :) Do someone know what may fic the problem?

Thanks, Tommy

macemoneta 05-21-04 10:55 AM

Re: Nvidia/X/console problem
 
Make sure you're not using the frame buffer (vga=xxxx on the kernel boot in lilo or grub). Recent Nvidia drivers don't get along with the Linux frame buffer.

hamsta 05-21-04 03:56 PM

Re: Nvidia/X/console problem
 
I can confirm this strange behaviour. But it has nothing to do with vga= or rhgb. I have disabled both options while booting.

When I have arrived in X, I can switch to Console 1-6 and switch again within 1-6 but I cannot switch back to 7 (with CRTL-ALT-F7). Screen blanks and the whole PC is hanging.

The same is happening here when I try to change resolution within KDE.

This bug came up with FC2, FC1 was working correctly.


Any ideas?



hamsta

hamsta 05-22-04 12:01 PM

Re: Nvidia/X/console problem
 
I could narrow the problem down:

Using Runlevel 3, everything seems to work, until you leave X and try to restart X with startx again. This leads to a blank screen here (same behaviour as switching between console and X).

When you remove the unused nvidia module after leaving X with rmmod nvidia and do a startx again, the nvidia module is loaded automatically but everything works as expected again.

So, removing the module in between resolves the problem, but, of course you can only do this when you have left X already, not when just switching console and X via CTRL-ALT-F1/F7.

Maybe some experts have more ideas now?



Cheers,

hamsta

saqer 05-22-04 02:26 PM

Re: Nvidia/X/console problem
 
hamsta, I have same problem except that when I leave X, the computer hangs leaving white horizontal lines across the screen! I have always to reboot whenever I leave X by a normal logout!

then after the reboot, I can run 'startx' with nvidia driver only if I first run 'startx' with the nv driver and then logout.

any ideas?

hamsta 05-22-04 03:03 PM

Re: Nvidia/X/console problem
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by saqer
hamsta, I have same problem except that when I leave X, the computer hangs leaving white horizontal lines across the screen! I have always to reboot whenever I leave X by a normal logout!
any ideas?

Is the whole computer hanging or only local? Is network still available? If it it, you could take a look deeper into your monitor settings, maybe it's getting out of sync.



hamsta

saqer 05-22-04 10:01 PM

Re: Nvidia/X/console problem
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hamsta
Is the whole computer hanging or only local? Is network still available? If it it, you could take a look deeper into your monitor settings, maybe it's getting out of sync.
hamsta

Not sure. But It is easy to access the computer from my office mate's one. Untill I do so, where shall I look. The x produces no errors at all!

How can I specify the syncs correctly? Shall I add ignore EDID for that purpose? or shall I comment out the modeline in the device section? I did the later and same problem.

By the way, I used the same configuration when I used Fedora 1 and there was no problem, at least appearantly. Only when I had fedora 2 I got this behaviour.

hamsta 05-23-04 05:31 AM

Re: Nvidia/X/console problem
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by saqer
How can I specify the syncs correctly? Shall I add ignore EDID for that purpose? or shall I comment out the modeline in the device section? I did the later and same problem.
By the way, I used the same configuration when I used Fedora 1 and there was no problem, at least appearantly. Only when I had fedora 2 I got this behaviour.

It was just an idea. I have the same problem, FC1 worked correctly, but FC2 not :-( Really bad, hopefully, there will be a solution soon.



hamsta

hamsta 05-26-04 07:06 AM

Re: Nvidia/X/console problem
 
Problem fixed with the 8k-stack-kernel-RPM posted some messages before. Strange, as I already compiled such a kernel myself and it did not work. Anyway, it works :-)



hamsta


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.