nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   First experience with Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2928)

netviper13 10-16-02 10:50 PM

First experience with Linux

Yes that's right, I installed Redhat 8.0 today. It's been fun for the most part, other than my CLI baptism by fire at least.

One moment I'm up and running the nice Bluecurve interface, then I reboot and am treated to a message saying X doesn't want to run. Hehe, so now I at least sort of know my way around the CLI, and a little bit of how to use Vi.

I would definately have to say that it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be though, and all problems I've had have been easily solved by using logic.

volt 10-17-02 09:44 AM

Re: First experience with Linux

Quote:

Originally posted by netviper13
I would definately have to say that it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be though, and all problems I've had have been easily solved by using logic.
That's the best form I know to solve those problems!
Good luck with it. By the way are you using Gnome or KDE? :P

netviper13 10-17-02 10:09 AM

Using Gnome. I attempted to enable NTFS support last night, but it wouldn't work; so that's my next project.

drowis 10-17-02 11:01 AM

I have been buggig the people in the linux discussion but I thjink this belongs here now.

I had problems getting the drivers installed and I would really like to that Andy for helping me out. The drivers are now in on my nForce board by Asus. Now I have some type of config problem. I am a windows guy but I wanted to try linux on my other machine so for anyone who answers my question please remember I have no idea of what I am talking about so be patient please.

when I go into the Mandrake control center and click on my Network & Internet button it brings up the Mandrake control center under lan configuration it shows my interface as eth0 protocol as dhcp driver as nvnet but the state is down?? why?
It also does not show an ip address so I don't think it recieved one from my router.

I set it for automatic ip detection why is it shutting down my card?

I can hit the connect button and it will bring up the network monitor and change the state to up. it will run a test and give me figures but when the test is over it shuts down my card again??

I am running an Athlon 2000+ Asus motherboard a7n-266-e 256 pc 2100 ram a 20 gig hard drive and Mandrake 9.0

I can see the lights on my linksys 4 port router/switch light up so I know it when the card is up or down as well as the status change in the lan configuration

can someone run me through this from scratch since I have nbo clue what is wrong?

de><ta 10-17-02 12:58 PM

okay

could you please just tell me your problem in one clear sentence.
- from what i read so far you had trouble with installing the driver for your gpu, and i hope that is fixed
-now you are having problems networking.

The two aspects are not related.
Give me the name and prefferably a link to the companies specification of your network card.
Are you trying to set up a samba network? linux to windows etc.
Spill out all the networking related specs.

I have not been to the linux forum lately, cause the one here is a bit of a mess.

I will see if i can help you out.

cheers
dexta

Matthyahuw 10-17-02 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by de><ta
I have not been to the linux forum lately, cause the one here is a bit of a mess.
ummmmmm, tell me about it...

where do you usually go dex? and what are you running?

de><ta 10-17-02 01:05 PM

Re: First experience with Linux

Quote:

a message saying X doesn't want to run. Hehe, so now I at least sort of know my way around the CLI, and a little bit of how to use Vi.

x does not want to run? wow how did you do that? i am assuming you did not recompile anything.

LOL, having fun with the command line:D
I have to use VI for most of my c++ programming. If you want more info on a native command or you are unsure what a function does just type man [and the command]

eg. man vi, gives you the documentation for the vi editor

to quit man, type q. If that does not work use ctrl-Z and type ps and then kill [followed by the number which is assigned to man].
Yeah it is cheesy if you are new to a type of cli. Even better type
man man.:D

Trust me VI is one of the best editors for programming. Try pine instead of your default netscape messenger. It is one nice looking cli mail client.

drowis 10-17-02 02:08 PM

actually it is related because I am useing an Asus nForce board. Now I think it some kind of config problem though

de><ta 10-17-02 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Matthyahuw
ummmmmm, tell me about it...

where do you usually go dex? and what are you running?

Matt, i am not trying to impugn you. You do a good job moderating that forum and cleaning it up. But having a general linux forum like that is just chaotic.
I would suggest that the linux forum be only for helping out with nvidia related problems on linux. Most of the threads i see in that forum are already there. I usually do not offer much advice in there since i am not as good as some of the other folks in there. I try to help out with general queries etc.
(i am not able to figure out whether you are ticked of at me or not)

As for where i get all of my linux related help is from the computer science techie (in my college). He is a genius when it comes to unix programming and linux related troubles. He was the person who helped me out in getting the linux cores installed on the sun sparc 20 which i have hooked up to the mainframe. I am currently using his customized version of the mandrake core kernel 4.3.2 . It has some faults but it is very stable. I am right now trying to get the latest version of x running on my system.

Before i went to college i used to be part of linux small group on an australian irc. Apart from that most of what i learnt comes from books. My first computer a 486 had unix on it instead of windows. So i kinda grew up on the wrong tree.:D

drowis 10-17-02 07:51 PM

any idea what is going on with my system?

I just saw during boot up that it failed to get an ip address from my router

volt 10-18-02 11:04 AM

Quote:

Using Gnome. I attempted to enable NTFS support last night, but it wouldn't work; so that's my next project.
NTFS is not enabled by default. You have to enable it in your kernel and recompile it. Though I found out that on Redhat 8.0 you don't have to do that. Go to http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ it's a great resource on turning on NTFS support. I've heard numerous times that enabling NTFS support is not recommended (WRITE as opposed to READ-ONLY). You can damage your windows partition. You might want to try that site though, I'm sure there are docs about it.

netviper13 10-20-02 12:18 AM

I found a tutorial that didn't require completely recompiling the kernel and it worked great. I'm all up and running now.