nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA FreeBSD (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   FreeBSD: IRQ sharing? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29632)

midian 06-06-04 01:03 PM

FreeBSD: IRQ sharing?

Hello all,

I was trying to install FreeBSD on my workstation, after using it for a long while on my router. Everything went well untill I wanted to install my nvidia module, first off it freezed my whole computer, and when I booted up my FreeBSD again it didn't find my LAN card.

After investigations I found out that the problem is that my LAN card is in the same IRQ with my GeForce. (in IRQ 11 btw.).

I've searched through the bios and there's no settings about changing the LAN cards IRQ or not even that I could disable it. The LAN card is intergrated so I can't swap PCI slots.

The conclusion: The nvidia module on FreeBSD seems to eat up the whole IRQ and doesn't let the LAN card work.

System specs:
FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p8, AMD Athlon 2600+, 1GB DDR 333, GeForce fx 5700 Ultra and EP-8RDA3+ mother board with NForce2 chipset.

If you have futher questions just ask.

Thanks.

Soul-Crusher 06-06-04 05:48 PM

Re: FreeBSD: IRQ sharing?

You might want to try re-assigning that IRQ in the BIOS. I'm not good with FreeBSD, but I heard that it likes making BIOS calls. IRQ conflicts could be a result of a buggy mainboard BIOS.

midian 06-07-04 05:31 AM

This is not possible, as I said, there's no options for the intergrated LAN card (I'm not even able to disable it). I only have options for the NForce2 LAN card, which I have disabled.

You said I could try to reassign the IRQ adresses in the bios, any suggestions where to search for these options? I found something where I can reserve IRQs, but if I reserver the 11, they both went to irq10. :screwy:

I upgraded the BIOS to the newest one yesterday too, still no hope :(

mayo 06-07-04 01:30 PM

That's a interesting problem you have there. I have similar config (except that I run -CURRENT and not release, and don't have nForce board), but 5.2.1 should not have problems with IRQ sharing. (I've used my setup with 5.2.1 too without any problems in console)

My guess would be some issues with the system drivers with the network driver vs. he gfx driver, since they are both nVidia. Might be worth posting to the current mailing list, or creating a PR (or if you dare and don't mind living on edge, updating to current).

But I must warn you, you won't be able to run X with that card, as the NVidia driver (at least the freebsd one, I've tried linux too, but not sure which version it was) does not support the 5700 chipsets (although the readme claims that it does - I've emailed Nvidia about this, no response yet [it's been 2 weeks]).

Looking at the driver, it knows the card is by nVidia, but has no idea about the card chipset.

m

midian 06-07-04 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayo
That's a interesting problem you have there. I have similar config (except that I run -CURRENT and not release, and don't have nForce board), but 5.2.1 should not have problems with IRQ sharing. (I've used my setup with 5.2.1 too without any problems in console)

My guess would be some issues with the system drivers with the network driver vs. he gfx driver, since they are both nVidia. Might be worth posting to the current mailing list, or creating a PR (or if you dare and don't mind living on edge, updating to current).

But I must warn you, you won't be able to run X with that card, as the NVidia driver (at least the freebsd one, I've tried linux too, but not sure which version it was) does not support the 5700 chipsets (although the readme claims that it does - I've emailed Nvidia about this, no response yet [it's been 2 weeks]).

Looking at the driver, it knows the card is by nVidia, but has no idea about the card chipset.

m

Ok, so I'll dump the idea of FreeBSD then. And by the way, the LAN card is not NForce2's card, it's a realtek. (My motherboard has two of them, the other one is the NForce2's and the other one is realtek.):
01:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)

I wont dare to upgrade to -CURRENT, I've had too many problems with it in the past.

I've got suggestions about trying to install another LAN card to my system, but it's not possible because I can't disable the Realtek from the bios and if they both were on it would screw up all my other operation systems.

Really many thanks for clearing this up, so I wont be trying hardly to get it working.

Cheers.

mayo 06-07-04 04:13 PM

No problem ..

you might want to wait for 5.3 release, once it comes out.

The only way to get the 5700 chipset to work was to use xorg version with the nvidia driver (4.3 doesn't support 5700, 4.4 doesn't exist in ports yet). But this is only the nv dirver - no acceleration/gl.

m