nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Did anyone ever find a replacement for the 5800U's YSTech Blower? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30301)

ragejg 06-18-04 10:49 PM

Did anyone ever find a replacement for the 5800U's YSTech Blower?

.. I'll betcha there's a quieter fan that basically fits the same form factor/bolt pattern...

Or not?

(crazy)

hmmm, if you know anythig about anyone doin somethin like this, lemme know...

ricercar 06-20-04 03:25 AM

replacement 5800U Blower

This doesn't answer your exact question, but I successfully watercooled a 5800 with a Koolance LH-06 block. It's certainly quieter (0dBA +/- 3DdB), but it's not a fan.

I bought Walter's 5800 Ultra for more NV30 watercooling experiments. I'm concerned that 'normal' RAMsinks aren't going to be sufficient for the DDR2 at 500/1000, and waiting for the Cool Matic FX RAM blocks to get back in stock. (I left the stock RAMsinks on the 5800 non-ultra so I wouldn't have to worry about DDRII for that experiment.)

Rollo 06-20-04 05:15 PM

Re: replacement 5800U Blower

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricercar
This doesn't answer your exact question, but I successfully watercooled a 5800 with a Koolance LH-06 block. It's certainly quieter (0dBA +/- 3DdB), but it's not a fan.

I bought Walter's 5800 Ultra for more NV30 watercooling experiments. I'm concerned that 'normal' RAMsinks aren't going to be sufficient for the DDR2 at 500/1000, and waiting for the Cool Matic FX RAM blocks to get back in stock. (I left the stock RAMsinks on the 5800 non-ultra so I wouldn't have to worry about DDRII for that experiment.)

Other than watercooling, not that I know of Rage. (unless you can convince ABIT to sell you an OTES setup)

I've considered that Zalman or Thermaltake setup with the fan on top, especially as I have a slot fan in front of it blowing right on it anyway, but haven't had the stones to risk the card.

ragejg 06-20-04 06:32 PM

Re: Did anyone ever find a replacement for the 5800U's YSTech Blower?

I'm wondering now how I could get some sort of catalog of different fan motors, something like MCM Electronics or a hobbyist's catalog... something with part number references...

I'll betcha the casing to that fan is a standard form factor, and there just may be a way to bolt a larger setup on there... if it's taller then I could use spacers between the plastic panels so it still could possibly fit...

... The big thing with this card is the ram heat, and if I knew somehow that REAL STURDY AND LARGE Copper heatsinks on the ram and a Copper 1U HSF on the gpu would work, then I'd do it... Problem is, there's no heatpipe in my equation.. did the nv card REALLY need and/or benifit from it, or was it all show?

ricercar 06-20-04 09:12 PM

oh, i maybe understand your question now. You want to replace the fan but not keep the stock copper in place. I do not know of anyone who has done that. I'm tempted but chicken so far. All the copper RAMsinks i see are tiny.

As far as the heatpipe being required, I'm not sure I understand. The copper heatsink on the stock 5800U was designed to have the heatpipe in place. Removing the heatpipe and fins will not allow the RAMs and GPU to remain cool enough; Remove the heatpipe and you need another form of additional cooling.

ragejg 06-20-04 10:42 PM

What I'm sayin is that I'd like to either replace the blower with another and keep the nv cooling solution intact...

or

replace it all together with a different unit that's quieter...

:)

bkswaney 06-21-04 01:14 AM

Re: replacement 5800U Blower

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricercar

Is that a PNY?

ricercar 06-21-04 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkswaney
Is that a PNY?

Um, I bought Waltar's PNY 5800 Ultra to possess two identical cards. Makes risking one with mods a lot easier ;-)

The one I water cooled was an ASUS V9900 TD, 5800 non-ultra.