nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Unreal Tournament 2003 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3035)

Euphoria 10-19-02 12:38 PM

Unreal Tournament 2003

Hi,
i just bought the UT2003 Game and I installoed it on Win XP , but I was wondering is there is a way to installeit in Linux. Like Quake III or RTCW, where you copy the main directory and then you just install the Linux binaries.

Thx

volt 10-19-02 12:57 PM

If you have retail version of UT2003 for Windows, you are able to install it on Linux with no problems.

Linux installation script is on 3rd CD, in the main root:
linux_installer.sh

Just go into your console and do cd <your cdrom> and then ./linux_installer.sh that will run the setup and you will be presented with more information :)

I don't know about Quake 3 or RTCW, I believe those did not have linux binaries.

Euphoria 10-19-02 01:55 PM

Sweet,

I havent even checked that.
Cool, I'll go and try to install it now.

Euphoria 10-19-02 02:10 PM

Damn, I forgot its 3GB to install.
Its going to leave me only 600MB free :)

I also had to uninstall Quake 3, but I still kept RTCW.

Lets see how is Ut 2k3 going to play in linux.

I usualy get better performanc in OpenGl in Linux than in WinXP.

Euphoria 10-19-02 03:52 PM

Dude, I get 15 to 20 FPS more in Linux than in Win XP. and plusin Linux I have everything set to highest setting at 1024x768 and in Win XP I have only up to High at 1024x768. If I set everything to highest in winxp the freame rate goes down to 24FPS.

My system is Athlon XP 2100, 512MB PC 2700, geForce 4 ti 4600.

Plus I play with AA set to 2 x in both Linux and Win XP

volt 10-19-02 04:13 PM

Enjoy it man!
:)

drowis 10-19-02 10:43 PM

volt are there many games out there with a Linux installer?

volt 10-20-02 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by drowis
volt are there many games out there with a Linux installer?
Not that many man. Only the most popular ones. You might need to check out the producer's site to see if they have a Linux version. Right now UT2003 is the only game that I know of that has both win32 and linux binaries included on those 3 CD's.

Euphoria 10-20-02 03:25 AM

Correction to Volt.

Quake 3 and the original UT come with binaries for Linux.
Also you can install RTCW by copying the main directory form the WIn installation and then downloading the Linux binaries form their website.

So pretty much if you own Win version of RTCW, UT, UT2k3, Quake 3 Arena, you can install those games on Linux, too.

drowis 10-20-02 08:09 AM

to bad one of my favorite games from last year is not available. I thought Dungeon Siege was a great game and I would have liked to see it in a linux format. ( I know it is distributed by microsoft so I can continue to dream. )

volt 10-20-02 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Euphoria
Correction to Volt.

Quake 3 and the original UT come with binaries for Linux.
Also you can install RTCW by copying the main directory form the WIn installation and then downloading the Linux binaries form their website.

So pretty much if you own Win version of RTCW, UT, UT2k3, Quake 3 Arena, you can install those games on Linux, too.

Good to know :>

Euphoria 10-20-02 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by drowis
to bad one of my favorite games from last year is not available. I thought Dungeon Siege was a great game and I would have liked to see it in a linux format. ( I know it is distributed by microsoft so I can continue to dream. )
Yeah, I dont think that Microsoft will ever make anything that works on Linux.