nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   RedHat 8 and a video player (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3050)

krakerx 10-19-02 08:39 PM

RedHat 8 and a video player
 
OK, so I am a n00b when it comes to linux.

I have downloaded XINE, but i can't install the thing. I got both tar files, and followed the INSTALL file. I get s***. It said I needed the SDL libraries, so I get those but I still get no where. Then I try xmms-avi, but they say I don't have a version >= 1.2.3, but I do, I have the version that came with RH 8, 1.2.7.

:mad:

Can some one help me pleeeease.

Thanks

If it helps here are my specs:
Intel Celeron 850
512 MB PC133 SDRAM
40 GB+30 GB
Windows 2000 Pro & RH 8 Psyche
nVidia GeForce2 MX 400

Euphoria 10-19-02 09:31 PM

Re: RedHat 8 and a video player
 
Yeah I have the same freakin problem with XINE.
I installed the SDL libraries but the freakin thing doesnt work.

You can install Real PLayer 8 for linux or mpegtv, it works fine for me.

The problem I have is that I can not play DVDs.

I tried to install mplayer, Ogle, Xine, and none of those worked.

If anyone can help me with the DVD player I would be really thankfull.

I have RedHat 8.0

Thunderbird 10-20-02 03:22 PM

What you need for example to compile an app that uses SDL is the SDL development package. If you don't have the needed development packages installed for an app, it can't compile.

Euphoria 10-20-02 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Thunderbird
What you need for example to compile an app that uses SDL is the SDL development package. If you don't have the needed development packages installed for an app, it can't compile.
yeah, i installed all of the development packages, but still the same thing.

The thing is that Xine is looking for an olderversion of the SDL libraries, but RedHat 8.0 installs the newer version, so when I try to compile it gives me an error, that I dont have the SDl libraries installed.

Maybe I just need to wait until they release a newer source code for xine, if they ever do ........

krakerx 10-20-02 08:50 PM

I have the SDL installed, and it bitches that I don't have a version high enough for it, but I tried an archived version, and the new version that they have posted, and still I get nothing.

arise 10-21-02 05:14 AM

Compile and install Synaptic (GUI for debians apt-get) and if you do that correctly (there was a guide on pclinuxonline.com), you will have Ogle and Xine installed in no time...no worries about dependency hell :)

Lol you even get the icons in the start menu...

PS - Ok i found the actual link here:
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=1890

Euphoria 10-21-02 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by arise
Compile and install Synaptic (GUI for debians apt-get) and if you do that correctly (there was a guide on pclinuxonline.com), you will have Ogle and Xine installed in no time...no worries about dependency hell :)

Lol you even get the icons in the start menu...

PS - Ok i found the actual link here:
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=1890

Thanks dude, you are da man :)

This thing works like a charm.

krakerx 10-21-02 03:11 PM

nice, now if the apt GUI would stop locking up on me

ok, i got it to stop lockin up on me, now the only problem i am having with xine is that it won't paly audio, the video comes up perfectly, but i don't get sound!!!

Euphoria 10-21-02 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by krakerx
nice, now if the apt GUI would stop locking up on me

ok, i got it to stop lockin up on me, now the only problem i am having with xine is that it won't paly audio, the video comes up perfectly, but i don't get sound!!!

Ogle plays perfect for me, but Xine doesnt play DVDs.

It says doesnt have codec for *.vob files.

krakerx 10-21-02 08:04 PM

you can go here:

http://xine.sourceforge.net/index.ph...action=default

they have a list of different plugins

Euphoria 10-22-02 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by krakerx
you can go here:

http://xine.sourceforge.net/index.ph...action=default

they have a list of different plugins

Nice.. now I have two DVD players for my Linux RedHat 8.0

Thx guys

arise 10-22-02 02:48 AM

Hmm, I get choppy playback....I even installed Mplayer, and same thing. Lol it took me a while to realize that the GUI is called "gmplayer" or something, I kept running the "mplayer" which was only the command line app.

Somehow I cannot enable DMA for my DVD drive, even if it supports UDMA2 (yes, UDMA2, not MultiwordDMA 2). If I use "hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd" it says it cannot be enabled. And yes I am doing it as root....

Any ideas?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.