nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Feedback Forum (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Please make search results, esp. New Posts results last longer (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31191)

CherryPopper 07-03-04 07:59 AM

Please make search results, esp. New Posts results last longer
 
The only major drawback i see from the upgrade to the V 3.0 bulletin system is that any time i do a new posts search.... and start to browse the listings, often by the time i get to page 3 or 4 of the search result threads the listings have suddenly vanished... apparently much more quickly "lost" or deleted than search listings were under the 2.0 system.

Is there any way to increase the time frame for new post search results to "Stay" in memory before loosing them like it is now? I'm sure this setting must be adjustable somewhere.

MUYA 07-03-04 08:09 AM

Re: Please make search results, esp. New Posts results last longer
 
Yeah Dude, I think there is a way to change this setting. I am sure MikeC or JuiceZ will think about it if ther are enough people who want a longer default time before the new posts get renewed :D

CherryPopper 07-03-04 09:22 AM

Re: Please make search results, esp. New Posts results last longer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MUYA
Yeah Dude, I think there is a way to change this setting. I am sure MikeC or JuiceZ will think about it if ther are enough people who want a longer default time before the new posts get renewed :D

Hey thanx for the reply Muya... that would be great actually. I'm sure i can't be the only one who darts off for a coffee or bite to eat etc and then comes back to find the last half of my search listings are no more :fu:

MikeC 07-03-04 10:35 AM

Re: Please make search results, esp. New Posts results last longer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryPopper
The only major drawback i see from the upgrade to the V 3.0 bulletin system is that any time i do a new posts search.... and start to browse the listings, often by the time i get to page 3 or 4 of the search result threads the listings have suddenly vanished... apparently much more quickly "lost" or deleted than search listings were under the 2.0 system.

Is there any way to increase the time frame for new post search results to "Stay" in memory before loosing them like it is now? I'm sure this setting must be adjustable somewhere.

Does this problem only happen when you navigate from page to page? Does it happen when you select a post to read and then return to the page listing the new posts? If so, do you use the back arrow in the browser to return to the listing page?

Update 1: Hmm, I wonder what the selection criteria for the new posts feature is? I went back and ran it again after I posted this message, and the number of new posts was less. The results went from 2 pages to 1 page.

Update 2: I think a post may have been deleted...

MikeC 07-03-04 11:14 AM

Re: Please make search results, esp. New Posts results last longer
 
This doesn't fix your problem, but it does explain how the New Posts feature works:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...+posts+feature

The New Posts button uses the "getnew" feature, which checks posts during your last visit / session. The link that New Posts uses is:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/search.php?do=getnew

There is an option to get postings from the last 24 hours, but I don't know if there is a link to it on any of the vBulletin menus:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/search.php?do=getdaily

MikeC 07-03-04 11:19 AM

Re: Please make search results, esp. New Posts results last longer
 
I found a thread from another customer describing the same problem that you are reporting. I think I'll have to read it a couple of times before I understand it :)

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...+posts+feature

Edit: It appears that New Posts feature is affected by the timeout cookie setting in vBulletin. Right now it's set for 900 seconds (15 minutes). If your session has been idle during the past 15 minutes, your session times out.

CherryPopper 07-04-04 02:55 AM

Re: Please make search results, esp. New Posts results last longer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeC
I found a thread from another customer describing the same problem that you are reporting. I think I'll have to read it a couple of times before I understand it :)

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...+posts+feature

Edit: It appears that New Posts feature is affected by the timeout cookie setting in vBulletin. Right now it's set for 900 seconds (15 minutes). If your session has been idle during the past 15 minutes, your session times out.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the responce.. yes that does appear to be the issue that i was referring to. Normally what will occur is that i will be reading a thread that has been obtained by the "getnew" New Posts search, and then when i hit the back button to return to the search listings an error message is displayed and the remainder of the search listings are lost.

Is it possible to change this time-out cookie from say a 15 to a 60 minute time-out? That would certainly be helpful for me, and i suspect other forum members as well. :bounce:

MUYA 07-04-04 02:57 AM

Re: Please make search results, esp. New Posts results last longer
 
I second that Cheery"u do what" ? Anyway, I would personally like to ask for a 30 min timeout :) 1 hr is too long methink.

CherryPopper 07-04-04 03:17 AM

Re: Please make search results, esp. New Posts results last longer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MUYA
I second that Cheery"u do what" ? Anyway, I would personally like to ask for a 30 min timeout :) 1 hr is too long methink.

Well 30 minutes would certainly be preferably to 15 anyways :) I guess the search feature on the old 2.0 bulletin was not affected by this time-out since i could often leave my perusing for very extended periods of time, return and find all my listings still nicely intact.

MUYA 07-04-04 04:12 AM

Re: Please make search results, esp. New Posts results last longer
 
I think v2.0 was affected by it but the default time was longer I think but ya 30 mins I think would be a good limit to refreshing new seraches.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.