nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Other Desktop Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Matrox going down (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3280)

sebazve 10-25-02 03:04 PM

Matrox going down

have a look at what this engineer said

http://forums.matroxusers.com/showth...threadid=37155

bad days for matrox.

Mono 10-25-02 06:13 PM

that sucks dude.. Matrox engineers have always been pretty innovative plus the cards were top notch quality. A shame thier getting reemed by tards who prolly have a community college degree in buisness.. or might as well. :(

StealthHawk 10-25-02 08:26 PM

nothing wrong with having a community college degree...or no degree at all.

while in most cases you could probably draw a conclusion about someone's intelligence from having a degree or not, it isn't true about everyone.

my friend's dad works at TRW; he never went to college. he's also going to be hired by them as a consultant once he retires ;)

Mono 10-25-02 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by StealthHawk
nothing wrong with having a community college degree...or no degree at all.

while in most cases you could probably draw a conclusion about someone's intelligence from having a degree or not, it isn't true about everyone.

my friend's dad works at TRW; he never went to college. he's also going to be hired by them as a consultant once he retires ;)

Oh I know.. it was just a general cheap shot at thier managment.

Chalnoth 10-25-02 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mono
that sucks dude.. Matrox engineers have always been pretty innovative plus the cards were top notch quality. A shame thier getting reemed by tards who prolly have a community college degree in buisness.. or might as well. :(
Bah, Community College is great! Went there for my first 2.5 years of post-HS work. The teachers were generally at least of the same caliber as the lower-division teachers here at UC Davis. But the greatest thing is that I have no debt from those years, significantly reducing the amount I'm going to have to pay back.

Of course, people who go to CC and stop aren't being very intelligent...but there's absolutely nothing wrong with CC.

Anyway, back on topic. It is too bad that Matrox is going down the tubes, though I think the primary reason is that they didn't do a good job trying to continually break into the gaming market. Quite simply, their engineers just aren't good enough at designing a product for 3D games to succeed there. Hopefully they'll still be able to go back and focus on their primary market: business. If they can work on producing more solid business cards, and perhaps go for 3D workstation-level cards, they may still be able to stay in the game.

Darth Rancid 10-27-02 03:34 AM

Sad.. but really, we've seen this comming for years now, haven't we?...

thcdru2k 10-27-02 03:50 AM

sucks..my first videocard was a matrox mystique 4mb. i loved that thing.

StealthHawk 10-27-02 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Darth Rancid
i think bells should have been ringing in everyone's head when it was found that Parhelia performed too poorly to be considered a high end gaming card for its price. make no mistake, it IS Matrox's intent, otherwise why would the 3 monitor display be called "surround gaming" and why else would they bother(even for gaming this move makes no sense actually) releasing a 256MB version? they should be doing everything in their power to release Parhelia at a lower price.

sebazve 10-27-02 08:14 AM

whats really makes me angry are those marketting guys that dont know a **** about anything.:mad: .

It is more sad that the parhelia could have been released much more earlier and it would surely kill ATI or any Nvidia product...

saturnotaku 10-27-02 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sebazve
It is more sad that the parhelia could have been released much more earlier and it would surely kill ATI or any Nvidia product...
Matrox would have had to released the Parhelia at the same time as the Radeon 8500 for that to have happened. It would have hurt ATI more than NVIDIA, especially since the Parhelia's shipping drivers were pretty bad.

Quote:

Hopefully they'll still be able to go back and focus on their primary market: business. If they can work on producing more solid business cards, and perhaps go for 3D workstation-level cards, they may still be able to stay in the game.
I completely agree, though the workstation market may be a bit tough since 3DLabs is going to release the P10 on the world.

ErrorS 10-28-02 03:00 AM

This is horrible.. if Parhelia was $150 or less I'd buy it in an instant... i know that wont happen though

I really really really want a Matrox card.. they need to release something that makes the price worth it.. and I hope they get to release a competitave card at a good price before they go under .. even if it doesnt save them, just so they can go out with a bang? seems like being privately owned just isnt possible for such a competitave market.. especially with managemnt as bad as this person says it is at matrox ..

maybe they'll go public.. dunno if it would save them, but it works for nvidia and ati ... Matrox has some great engineers and some support people that make me jealous of the matroxusers.com people ..

damn... i really want Matrox to come out of this with a product that whoops ati and nvidia's ass.. sets new standards and takes no1.. i know it wont happen, but it'd be nice .. im sick of ati and nvidia..

Riptide 11-01-02 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Darth Rancid
Yes sad... But IMHO it was worse when Hercules sold. Now that was a *real* old school company...