nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Feedback Forum (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Move your IRC channel... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34114)

Ice Nine 08-06-04 11:04 AM

Move your IRC channel...

Here's some feedback.

I'd love to participate on your irc channel. But FREENODE? Freenode is typically used by european open source developers last I checked.

EFNET is the de-facto standard for irc. It's the largest and most diverse, and has the highest population of hardware enthusiasts. Heck, #3dfx on efnet has been alive and well (to this day) for many many years. #athlon, #hardocp, #riva, #nvidia, #ati, all on efnet with dozens of users in each channel.

It doesn't make sense to be on freenode. You'd have a MUCH larger audience on efnet.

MUYA 08-06-04 11:05 AM

Re: Move your IRC channel...

We like it at freenode.

Thanks

Sazar 08-06-04 11:20 AM

freenode may be a hard-ass wrt to drops (disconnects me about once a day) but efnet is a bloody POS compared to freenode..

besides we like it there :)

why not try out the channel before suggesting we move it to another server...

Ice Nine 08-06-04 11:30 AM

I have tried it. I visit freenode from time to time and have been in your channel. I typically only visit freenode these days when i have some development questions with regards to some specific sourceforge projects (that seems to be the bulk of things on freenode). There's no one there compared to efnet, which has channels teeming with people. Like it or not, it makes sense to be there because that's the most popular network.

I can relate with you liking a certain network, but if what you're looking for is a strong irc presence with tons of hardware enthusiasts around, efnet is the place to be (like it or not).

And yeah... with regards to disconnects, whois "Karl" on efnet (that's me). I've been connected since 7/30. Over a week with no interruptions. Sorry, EFNET is hardly a "POS". Most of the servers hosted on efnet are hosted by backbone providers or extremely high-traffic-multiple-peer providers.

Kamel 08-06-04 11:31 AM

if nvnews were to move to efnet i would probably leave... crying :cry:

if the irc chan was moved to efnet, people would complain it's not on a diff server etc.

Ice Nine 08-06-04 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamel
if nvnews were to move to efnet i would probably leave... crying :cry:

if the irc chan was moved to efnet, people would complain it's not on a diff server etc.

Yeah, but for every person that left in a whining fit, you'd have 3 more people who WOULD go there because they're already on efnet. Heck, #3dfx has almost 50 people in it right now - and it's a long-dead company.

MUYA 08-06-04 11:34 AM

There is no moving the channel. Your suggestion is welcome but the channel stays where it is and that is final as we don't see a need to head on to Efnet or undernet or other big networks.

Thanks.

Thread Closed

vampireuk 08-06-04 11:49 AM

Just to barge in, I'm on EFnet every single day and it is terrible at times. Freenode gives a lot more security to the chan also.

ragejg 08-06-04 01:24 PM

Just to further barge in, I must say that I like oatmeal cookies sometimes.