nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   ATI under fire ahhhhhahahahaha (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35256)

oldsk00l 08-21-04 06:16 PM

ATI under fire ahhhhhahahahaha

I only signed this petition yesterday, and it was at 2,612 signatures. Checked today and it's 3600+

Anyone who wants to sign it be my guest, nVidia users welcome. Just stated "I run nVidia, especially because of ATI's crap drivers".

http://www.petitiononline.com/atipet/petition.html

roflmao

AthlonXP1800 08-22-04 01:53 PM

Re: ATI under fire ahhhhhahahahaha

Oh I thought ATI headquarters are under fire. :rolleyes: (j/k)

DivotMaker 08-22-04 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldsk00l
Anyone who wants to sign it be my guest, nVidia users welcome. Just stated "I run nVidia, especially because of ATI's crap drivers".

roflmao

Don't know if it is just me, but why would an nVidia user care about an ATI driver petition? What exactly do you have to gain?

Thunderbird 08-22-04 04:47 PM

Really ignore that petition. For some months they have been working on REAL linux drivers. Those drivers are different from the ones they are currently maintaining. Just watch out for future ATI driver releases ..

Kamel 08-22-04 06:01 PM

hey, maybe ati will get off their asses finally and realize that they shot themselves in the foot when deciding not to do linux drivers properly... any time i get in this argument with someone, they claim "well, there is no money to be made with linux" bull****, i bet less than 1% of all linux users even know about this petition, and it is up to 5,000 signatures already (4,991) -- at $300 per video card, that's $1,497,300 -- no money to be made for linux my ass. i understand not all of them are getting $300 video cards, but some are getting higher than that. the majority of the vote from what i saw had a $100 or higher video card.

oldsk00l 08-22-04 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbird
Really ignore that petition. For some months they have been working on REAL linux drivers. Those drivers are different from the ones they are currently maintaining. Just watch out for future ATI driver releases ..

Well, honestly I do hope that petition would force them to let out a beta, heck, alpha version of those drivers. By all indications though, searching for cygwin and mtippett is really really discouraging. Based on the evidence I've seen I'm not convinced they are working on any different codebase from what we've seen in public knowledge. Also, because of how they are developing from cygwin we won't likely see any 64-bit drivers until a 64-bit windows environment shows up. I also don't like that they are using gcc really to compile the core of their driver code.

I kind of think you have it a bit backwards. The 3.2.8 drivers were a strong foundation to build from, for whatever reason three series of drivers after that release were slower, and it wasn't until the latest release that the performance at least matched that version of driver. It would appear they scrapped that code and started maintaining newer, unfortunately horribly optimized and slow code. From what I gather, ATI had a developer contracted out of Germany, wanted him to relocate to CA, and he gave them the middle finger. Linux drivers downhill since.

[edit]
Also, the current driver does not even conform to OGL 1.0 standards. If they are working on an uber-driver, it'd sure do them alot more good than bad to release something now.

@BigBerthea

You're right, to the NV community it's kind of a double edged sword. You sign the petition saying "bwahaha, ATI is teh suxX0rs my nVidia drivers pWn j00!!!!" and then ATI looks at that and writes some AWESOME drivers complete with a control panel etc etc. Then you haven't gained anything, on the other hand spiting ATI sure is fun lately......

hlfmanhlfamazng 08-22-04 09:16 PM

Originally posted by BigBerthaEA

Don't know if it is just me, but why would an nVidia user care about an ATI driver petition? What exactly do you have to gain?

-------------------------------------

It's just you...........

You have ******ALOT*********** to gain by signing it. Nvidia's linux drivers are pretty good, yes. but like anything else they could always be better.

Nvidia for the time being has zero competition in this field so if they screw up or take their time it's not like you have anywhere to go anyways. You should sign that petition knowing that it puts nvidia in a corner, and at least lets them know that users want an alternative. You think they're not watching taht thing skyrocket as much as ATI is?

I've had a few of my friends that aren't even linux users sign it.

hlfmanhlfamazng 08-22-04 09:20 PM

Kamel, I agree. One thing that people fail to remember/mention is that DRI supports ATI cards up to the r200 series. Granted that it's not fully supported(meaning advanced functions such as FSAA and AF and even HyperZ, me thinks but not completely sure) the majority of your important functions are gonna work, and work well(like most other open source drivers).

My current card is a FGL 8800.

holmes 08-22-04 10:36 PM

ATI's linux drivers were the single greatest factor in my getting the 6800GT...
:|

Kamel 08-23-04 05:22 AM

ati's linux drivers are the reason why i traded my 9800 pro aiw for an fx5900u.

oldsk00l 08-23-04 11:09 PM

The [H] sure had an ATI friendly tone in their ATI Linux interview..

NOT!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
If I could somehow capture that laugh that Dr. Betruger had in Doom3 when he imploded the monorail bridge in Doom3, I think that'd just about illustrate how I reacted to that interview and petition happening in a relatively short timeframe.

hlfmanhlfamazng 08-24-04 09:59 PM

Oldskool....

The market is cycling yet again. Have you seen this recent article over at the inquirer?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18029

Just as ATI caught nVidia with their pants down a few years ago, life has come full circle. It's once again nVidia's turn. They've caught ATI with their pants down. Good for them.

That's why it doesn't pay to be a zealot.

The only thing that keeps me with ATI for now is the fact that they opened up some of their specs to the DRI. When I go to upgrade from my 8800, if ATI hasn't released more I'll most likely have a Geforce 8000 or whatever.