nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Gainward FX5900 question (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36023)

spookymark 09-01-04 11:14 PM

Gainward FX5900 question

I got this video card about 3 months ago & have been tryin to figure out why the temperature on the chip (while not doing ANYTHING on the pc) is sitting at 64C. Most posts I have seen they all claim that their temperature is at 45C.
Any idea why this could be? Is that bad?
By the way, the temp goes up after I connect second monitor.

Thank you
Mark

jimmor 09-02-04 06:44 AM

Re: Gainward FX5900 question

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookymark
I got this video card about 3 months ago & have been tryin to figure out why the temperature on the chip (while not doing ANYTHING on the pc) is sitting at 64C. Most posts I have seen they all claim that their temperature is at 45C.
Any idea why this could be? Is that bad?
By the way, the temp goes up after I connect second monitor.

Thank you
Mark

Unless you live in the sahara desert, the tropics or death valley in the usa, the temp of 64c at idle is way too high for your card !

And even if you do live in extreme heat, it is most important that you improve the airflow around you card to reduce temps ?

If you dont live in extreme heat, then only other possability is that your card's heatsink is not working properly. Either the fan is not working, or there is bad contact between heatsink surface and GPU chip ?

spookymark 09-02-04 10:28 AM

I live in CA,
the temp outside is not that bad at all so it should not run so hot.
I will call gainward & see what they have to say to that.
It is still under warranty
I have PLENTY of room around the video card & both fans are working on it.

Thanx for the reply though, at least this tells me that it is not normal.

kraigc 09-02-04 01:16 PM

how many case fans are you using? Perhaps you just dont have enough airflow through the case.

spookymark 09-02-04 02:05 PM

I have two on front of case, one in the back, one at the top & then two in the PS.
I am using LianLi case.

ricercar 09-02-04 07:49 PM

64C for 3D gaming is good. 64C for 2D is rather hot, but not device threatening. GeForce FX GPU maximum operating temprature is 140C.

That being said, you may want to reseat the heatsink if you put it on. An NVIDIA white paper claimed that every 10C drop in junction temperature doubled the lifetime of the GPU.

spookymark 09-02-04 10:00 PM

Well I called Gainward as well & they said that it sounds like it is running a little hot.
I did not put the heatsinc on it came this way but I can take it off & put some Arctic Silver 5 on it & see what will happen.
Thank you all for your input.