nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   John carmack on next game engine.. cool stuff. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36208)

Nv40 09-04-04 10:30 PM

John carmack on next game engine.. cool stuff.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/for...opic_id=266373

Quote:

In my current research I've got a
zero-sample one which is the hardware PCF for comparison, a single sample that's randomly jittered, four samples
as kind of the baseline, and also a sixteen sample version which can give you very nice, high quality soft shadows
on there. And I'll probably toss in even higher ones like a 25 or 64 sample version on there which will mostly be
used for offline rendering work if people want to go ahead and have something render and they don't mind
if it's running a few frames a second, you can get literally film quality shadowing effects out of this, by just
changing out the number of samples that are going on in there. This wind up being very close to the algorithm
that Pixar has used for a great many of the Renderman based movies, and it's just running in the GPU's now in
real time at the lower sample levels.

so as you see next engine improvements ,to Doom3 engine ,softshadows and more realism with lighting/softshadows and superior Reflections ..Unreal3 use up to 16samples for the shadows and he is already speaking about 25/64 :retard: in his next upgrade to the engine and will be capable of rendering close to Pixar (from the TOy story creators) quality graphics in real time and on par in non real time.. :drooling: .even thought it will be mostly used for non realtime graphics (not for playing but for artististic work) if you dont mind to get 1-5 fps .. SLI setup with very fast PC's will help even more.. it will be awesome to have a first look of how the game will look in the next 5-10 years.. :D carmack suggested quality lighting/shadows that with my understanding will be far superior even than the ones used in Unreal3 engine. :drooling: :drooling: :clap:

- higher quality normalmaps
-superior reflections.. (ability to not only control the intensity like Doom3 but also the shape of them) this is a really big plus!! means more realistic materials.. (no more plastic look of some things ) this mean life like reflections.
-softshadows everywhere ,with completely new techniques for outdoors.
-Fp blending/filtering will be used as default for the higher quality lighting .
-Subsurfacescatering.. for better skin..
- quality Hair
-very long pixel shaders (fragments shaders) for the game..

probably is the biggest post ever made by John carmack.. and a bit technical.. but so far looks that he is very serious about the graphics the next time.. (like if Doom3 graphics were a major problem by today standars :) )

Mr. Hunt 09-04-04 11:39 PM

Re: John carmack on next game engine.. cool stuff.

Sweet... if it ends up being like that :).

aAv7 09-04-04 11:55 PM

engine smengine.....sound great and all...but where is the focus on gameplay and story elements... this isnt 93....gamer's require more than eye-candy.

nVidi0t 09-05-04 12:08 AM

Would you feel more immersed in a photo realistic world or a world which looked like a bunch of 2d sprites and cartoon like figures?

It's not John Carmack's job to design the game itself, just the big shiny engine.

gmontem 09-05-04 12:20 AM

Something must be wrong with my eyes. None of the Renderman based movies Pixar produced looked photo realistic to me. They looked very cartoony-like. :p

nVidi0t 09-05-04 12:39 AM

That was the point, it was a kids film, but look at the landscapes, lighting and architecture in Pixar's movies. They are bordering photo realism in Shrek 2.

Nv40 09-05-04 12:46 AM

yes John carmack is not the gameplay geek.. but the graphics technician..the gameplay elements in their next game will come from the feedback of their entire team about what they want in their next game. Pixar graphics like toystory/Nemo are not photorealistic ,but movierealistic quality graphics in 3d. if you want real photorealism .. then simply turn on the TV and enjoy watching the news all day .. ;)

next id software game should be capable up to final fantasy graphics.. which use Pixar REnderman everywhere. that is cinematic quality everywhere , that is fiction and reality together :)

gmontem 09-05-04 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nv40
if you want real photorealism .. then simply turn on the TV and enjoy watching the news.. ;)

Maybe that explains why roughly 90% of the programs I watch on TV is CNN and local news stations. lol.

nVidi0t 09-05-04 12:53 AM

Maybe ID's next project is a news game!

Nv40 09-05-04 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nVidi0t
Maybe ID's next project is a news game!

indeed..
it will not be a CNN documentary... :D
Photorealism is very important ,but games will be very boring if they doesnt have some sort of fiction in them. just like photoshop where the things that looks more interesting not necessarily are the ones that looks like the things we are tired to see everyday in the real life.

Soylent 09-05-04 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nVidi0t
Would you feel more immersed in a photo realistic world or a world which looked like a bunch of 2d sprites and cartoon like figures?

It's not John Carmack's job to design the game itself, just the big shiny engine.

I prefer doom/doom 2 still today, screw immersiveness if you can't even keep from falling asleep at the keyboard.

jAkUp 09-05-04 01:49 AM

i choose the imersive :) If the game looks like ass... I just cant get myself into it...