nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Feedback Forum (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   ragejg's suggestions: (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36508)

ragejg 09-09-04 10:16 AM

ragejg's suggestions:

I'd like some feedback on some suggestions I have... I didn't put this in the staff forum because I'd like to know what some members think about these ideas...

1. the "reviews" section is a bit too complicated compared to other sites... Yes, by mfg is cool, but most of us in the entusiast community tend to remember things in some sort of chronological order... I'd like to see the reviews listed in chronological order, if possible... BTW, my 5900XTOC review isn't even listed in the reviews section.... I have to do a Google search for "Grabski 5900" to get to my review... and I think this review may be benificial to those looking for a ~ $180-$200 card at the moment.

2. I'd like to reinforce that a weely/biweekly poll would be a neat feature. Any progress on this?

3. Front page posts by staff. I think that the staff members here @ nvnews could really benifit the site by possibly (on a rotational basis of some sort) posting an opinion or news piece on the front page once every few days or so. We as a website staff do work as a team, we do communicate quite a bit, and our input on an occasional basis on the front page might be a pretty cool thing. Personally, I'd like to be able to place a small piece on the front page once every week or two... Could this be done? Does our community think this would be a cool thing?

... So what does everybody think of these ideas? I'd like to help make this site a bit more accesible and friendly to its users...

:)

Pandora's Box 09-09-04 10:46 AM

Re: ragejg's suggestions:

1. i cant comment on since i havent really used the reviews section.

2. weekly poll would be sweet.

3. sounds like a very good idea.

btw who gave you permission to think? (jk) :D

vampireuk 09-09-04 10:46 AM

I agree with you on that, going by models instead of manufacturer would be a good idea so people can compare the different brands easily. Opinions, personally I like reading them but back when I was news posting there was a small group of people who would bitch about trying to add some form of personality to the site :D

A poll is a must too :D

ragejg 09-09-04 10:52 AM

FYI staff postings could be done through the staff forum first or something... so that all staff can agree on teh piece before posting, so no objectionable material is put up. BrianG's stuff is pretty cool, but I think the rest of the staff (myself included) could also contribute... :D

SH64 09-09-04 11:18 AM

1) Agreed ! .

in other related matter : in fact i think the whole "popular articles" section is useless & complicated . (aaa)
thats because some of them are outdated & other are unpopular .
i mean who would look for a 2 years old GeForce Ti4200's preview or Matrox Parhelia's review ???
if you can exchange it with a simple drop down list or just a link for an "articles page" by chronological order like ragejg suggested . it will be much more of a use & will save more space .

2)Hell ya ! ;)

3)Yep why not?! .. (if you remove or shrink the popular articles section there will be a good place for the staff opinions & news :p )

|JuiceZ| 09-09-04 12:21 PM

1)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SH64
i mean who would look for a 2 years old GeForce Ti4200's preview or Matrox Parhelia's review ??

Hey I looked up MikeC's V770 review just a few weeks ago :p

2) agreed.

3) Personally wouldn't mind joining Brian on the soapbox ever once in a while when I can string more than two intelligent sentences together :p Granting the entire staff access has the potential to become fishy though.

Sazar 09-09-04 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ragejg
I'd like some feedback on some suggestions I have... I didn't put this in the staff forum because I'd like to know what some members think about these ideas...

1. the "reviews" section is a bit too complicated compared to other sites... Yes, by mfg is cool, but most of us in the entusiast community tend to remember things in some sort of chronological order... I'd like to see the reviews listed in chronological order, if possible... BTW, my 5900XTOC review isn't even listed in the reviews section.... I have to do a Google search for "Grabski 5900" to get to my review... and I think this review may be benificial to those looking for a ~ $180-$200 card at the moment.

agreed... i only usually ever use the reviews once in a while but its a good idea for comparative purposes...

Quote:

2. I'd like to reinforce that a weely/biweekly poll would be a neat feature. Any progress on this?
I think there was a poll on this recently wasn't there.. and most people wanted one? either way.. it would be nice..

Quote:

3. Front page posts by staff. I think that the staff members here @ nvnews could really benifit the site by possibly (on a rotational basis of some sort) posting an opinion or news piece on the front page once every few days or so. We as a website staff do work as a team, we do communicate quite a bit, and our input on an occasional basis on the front page might be a pretty cool thing. Personally, I'd like to be able to place a small piece on the front page once every week or two... Could this be done? Does our community think this would be a cool thing?

... So what does everybody think of these ideas? I'd like to help make this site a bit more accesible and friendly to its users...

:)
it would be nice for a coupla others though juice makes a valid point about too many cooks spoiling the broth... I think its a simple matter of adding people via admincp to access the news posting section...

it would be nice if for some of the news items that are singular/more important entities (rather than a list) that we could post comments directly on the front page...

something to the extent of the attachment I posted...

/me shrugs

just an add-on to the news idea...

MikeC 09-09-04 06:00 PM

I agree also its just I don't have the time to do this. Who has the know how to redo the reviews index and post the polls and such?

Sazar 09-09-04 07:18 PM

I dunno if the vbulletin forums have info on custom hacks you can just install for polls n stuff... :confused:

I would think they do given the number of sites with similar poll templates in use...

MikeC 09-09-04 07:24 PM

I know how to do the polls Saz. I just don't have the time. :) I barely have time to sleep 6 hours a night with the site and my real job.

MikeC 09-09-04 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Gib-McFragger=-
Excuses, excuses. Maybe if you didn't spend so much time :nanahump: and did a little work once and a while..... :p

Look who's talking :D

Sazar 09-09-04 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeC
I know how to do the polls Saz. I just don't have the time. :) I barely have time to sleep 6 hours a night with the site and my real job.

yeah yeah yeah :angel:

:nanahump:

as for gib's... he'll be part of the club of formerly happy men soon :angel2: