nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Need help installing nVidia drivers for RedHat 9.0 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36633)

dawgboy 09-11-04 04:57 PM

Need help installing nVidia drivers for RedHat 9.0

3 Attachment(s)
HI,

I’m a relatively new to Linux.

I’m trying to install nVidia drivers for RedHat 9.0.

I followed the instructions as outlined in the directions. But, when reboot after making the changes, I can't boot RedHat into graphics mode (I get command line interface). The nVidia splash screen does flicker a couple of time so I know I’m on the right track, but I don’t know how to fix this.

At first, I was in 24-bit graphics mode and 1280x1024 resolution. But then I bumped every thing down to 16-bit graphics mode and 800x600 hoping this would help but no luck there either. All I get is the nVidia splash screen to flicker a couple of times then back to command line mode.

My system configuration is as follows:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GOXET-A
Processor: Intel Pentium 3, Tualatin Core, 1.2GHz core speed, 133MHz FSB
Chipset: Intel 815EP
Graphics Card: MSI, model: MX4000-T64 (MX4000 chipset)

Kernel: 2.4.20-6
nVidia driver: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run

I have enclosed the “nvidia-installer.log”, “XF86Config”, and “XFree86.0.log” files.

Just a side note: I was able to get the nVidia drivers to work on Mandrake 9.1. I moved from Mandrake 9.1 to RedHat 9.0 because I was not able to get my sound card and modem to work in Mandrake 9.1 - so I decided to give RedHat 9.0 a try.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

DawgBoy

RustyPaint 09-12-04 06:44 PM

Re: Need help installing nVidia drivers for RedHat 9.0

remove "VideoRam" since it is autodetected

The thing that puzzles me is the loading of libfbdevhw.a

Are you running a graphic console? Go with a text one and see if it makes a difference.

Another option to try is forcing the driver to use your card by:
cat /proc/pci
find:
Bus x, device y, function z
VGA compatible controller...

and add
BusID "PCI:x:y:z"
in this section:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"

dawgboy 09-13-04 11:05 PM

RustyPaint,

Thanks for the reply.

Due to my schedule, I may not have much time till this weekend to go back and work on this.

I'll give your suggestions a try then.

Thanks again.

Regards.

DawgBoy

LordMorgul 09-14-04 01:25 AM

Quote:

(II) Initializing extension GLX
This module will always fail if the nvidia.o kernel module cannot load, make sure the kernel module has loaded prior to X starting. It should auto load because of the char-major entry in /etc/modules.conf, however you should verify that it IS loading. Boot to runlevel 3 (edit /etc/inittab) and then load the module modprobe nvidia then change to runlevel 5, telinit 5. If the module loads with no warning or error (other than a warning about 'tainting' the kernel which is normal) then the glx module will hopefully initialize. You can also see what modules are loaded with lsmod.