nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Stop calling everything photorealistic! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36718)

Subtestube 09-13-04 07:41 AM

Stop calling everything photorealistic!

I was unsure of where to put this - please feel free to move it.

WHY must people INSIST on describing every new game as photorealistic. I was browsing a 1997 PC Gamer the other day, and it described a game as photorealistic. I examined the graphics, and was smug in my noting that 'No, this doesn't look at all like a photo. In fact, it doesn't even begin to look like a game now. Ha ha ha." HOWEVER, now it's all happening again. THESE GAMES DO NOT LOOK LIKE PHOTOS. They don't even look NEARLY like photos or film. Go ahead, actually compare them. See if I'm wrong.

The only computer graphics that I actually have difficulty picking are:
a) Some VERY high quality film effects that are slipped in with Real Life footage.
b) Radiosity and Photon Mapped high res static renders of VERY well modelled scenes.

Note that I'm not saying we will never get photorealistic games, but guys, STOP LYING TO YOURSELVES! Current games are not photorealistic - we're still at least a few years from that milestone.

vampireuk 09-13-04 08:03 AM

Re: Stop calling everything photorealistic!

This thread is photorealistic

zakelwe 09-13-04 08:21 AM

Me and my wife will have to rename our 2nd child now I guess , shame, I thought it was a good name.

At least it will stop our dog wandering over when we mention our childs name, he is called Photorealistic too.

Regards

Photorealistic.

stncttr908 09-13-04 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subtestube

WHY must people INSIST on describing every new game as photorealistic. I was browsing a 1997 PC Gamer the other day, and it described a game as photorealistic. I examined the graphics, and was smug in my noting that 'No, this doesn't look at all like a photo. In fact, it doesn't even begin to look like a game now. Ha ha ha." HOWEVER, now it's all happening again. THESE GAMES DO NOT LOOK LIKE PHOTOS. They don't even look NEARLY like photos or film. Go ahead, actually compare them. See if I'm wrong.

a) Some VERY high quality film effects that are slipped in with Real Life footage.
b) Radiosity and Photon Mapped high res static renders of VERY well modelled scenes.

Note that I'm not saying we will never get photorealistic games, but guys, STOP LYING TO YOURSELVES! Current games are not photorealistic - we're still at least a few years from that milestone.

You said game(s) six times and you don't know where to put the thread. :rolleyes:

S.I.N 09-13-04 09:40 AM

Quote:

Stop calling everything photorealistic?
Quote:

WHY must people INSIST on describing every new game as photorealistic.
What games are these? With all the shiny overdone effects in games of late I dont see how anyone could say this. The playstation 2 has more photorealistic games coming out than the computer.

|JuiceZ| 09-13-04 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stncttr908
You said game(s) six times and you don't know where to put the thread. :rolleyes:

lol, good point :o

vampireuk 09-13-04 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |JuiceZ|
lol, good point :o

Thats some awesome photorealistic moderating there JuiceZ :thumbsup:

Arioch 09-13-04 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.I.N
What games are these? With all the shiny overdone effects in games of late I dont see how anyone could say this. The playstation 2 has more photorealistic games coming out than the computer.

You almost sounded convincing until you put Playstation 2 in there.

Fatman 09-13-04 10:42 AM

I'm going to have to call BS on this one. Many modern games use real photos for textures, Max Payne, STALKER, etc. Granted the resolution is not as high as real world, but it is photo-realistic. Take a look at some flight sims, namely IL2 and LOMAC. Mortal Kombat is another good example. That game is 10 years old, the characters are 2 dimensional, yet photo-realistic.

|JuiceZ| 09-13-04 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vampireuk
Thats some awesome photorealistic moderating there JuiceZ :thumbsup:

:rofl

I hate to talk about the guy but really, is it that serious? So someone says a "game" looks photorealistic, no biggie everyone has the right to their own opinion.

majortom 09-13-04 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subtestube

no, YOURE too photorealistic! i'll have to drop my LOD.

S.I.N 09-13-04 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arioch
You almost sounded convincing until you put Playstation 2 in there.

Playstation 2 has Grand Turismo 4 and Ace Combat 5 coming. I played both of the previous ones and there replay feature were near photorealistic and this time around they say the graphics has improved. Most PC racing games running at higher resolutions cant even come close to the reply feature of Grand Turismo 3 that sometimes looked as if you were watching TV and not a game.