nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bioware licenses Unreal Engine 3 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36925)

jAkUp 09-16-04 09:16 PM

Bioware licenses Unreal Engine 3

Quote:

BioWare Corp. and Epic Games today announced a licensure agreement, whereby BioWare will license Epic's Unreal® Engine 3 for use in an upcoming title.
The agreement marks the first time the two companies have collaborated, combining the talents of the premier RPG developer with the premier next-generation engine technology creators. A BioWare development team is already hard at work on the Unreal Engine 3-powered game, an as-yet unannounced title which features BioWare's third new intellectual property.

"We're very happy to license Epic's advanced Unreal Engine 3 technology," said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Joint CEO of BioWare Corp. " One of our development teams will now focus on using Unreal Engine 3 to help us create a great gaming experience in a timely manner. The Unreal Engine has powered some of our favorite games, and we're looking forward to upholding the great history of this engine with an awesome game from BioWare ". Dr.Greg Zeschuk , Joint CEO of BioWare Corp. added, " Meanwhile, BioWare will continue to independently develop our own cutting-edge engine technology for future titles !"

We're thrilled that BioWare has chosen to work with Unreal Engine 3." said Tim Sweeney, CEO and Founder of Epic Games Inc. "BioWare's decision reinforces that Unreal Engine 3 is not only a next generation, multi-genre game engine but also that it can work well for all developers, from small teams to world-class, technologically-savvy companies like BioWare."

Mark Rein, Vice President Epic added "BioWare has made some of the best games of all time and we can't wait to see what amazing things they're going to do with Unreal Engine 3!"

Nice :)

SH64 09-16-04 09:36 PM

Re: Bioware licenses Unreal Engine 3

Quote:

an as-yet unannounced title which features BioWare's third new intellectual property.
could they mean KOTOR 3 by that??

Mr. Hunt 09-16-04 09:40 PM

Don't know.... isn't KOTOR the second? :\.... Jade Empire = third? Or maybe I am misunderstanding :\.

Edge 09-16-04 11:42 PM

I'm not sure what they meant by that statement, it sounds more like it's a totally new game not based on any of their previous games (why would they say "third new intellectual property" rather than just KOTOR or Jade Empire?).

SH64 09-17-04 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
I'm not sure what they meant by that statement, it sounds more like it's a totally new game not based on any of their previous games (why would they say "third new intellectual property" rather than just KOTOR or Jade Empire?).

Someone suggested that game to be Star Citadel, a sci-fi action/RPG for PC and Xbox 2 coming in 2006.

sounds reasonable to me .

nVidi0t 09-17-04 03:51 PM

Sounds great.

Intel17 09-17-04 04:31 PM

yay! Go unreal Engine 3 go!!

Vagrant Zero 09-17-04 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SH64
could they mean KOTOR 3 by that??

NO.

Bioware's IP means an IP they own. They do not own KotOR, LucasArts does. They do not own NWN, Atari/Wizards of the Coast does.

So let's see what that means.
Jade Empire = 1st Bioware IP
Dragon Age = 2nd Bioware IP
UR3 Engine Game = 3rd Bioware IP

In other words it's a brand new pc game, not a sequel to anything.

theultimo 09-18-04 06:12 PM

Bauders Gate III, anyone?

superklye 09-18-04 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theultimo
Bauders Gate III, anyone?

I'm pretty sure that's already in production by another company. It was announced a few months back in PCGamer, but, unlike the original BG3 that continued the story of the first two, this one just shares the name and nothing more.

Leech 09-22-04 07:06 PM

It'd have to be an original for it to be an IP of theirs. Otherwise no Star Wars and no D&D games. At least if I'm understanding that right. Either way... if it's an RPG that uses the Unreal 3 Engine, I'm all for it! From seeing some little demos of that thing... oooh yeah, it brings that warm fuzzy feeling...

Leech