nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   So, I want to give this MMFPS thing a try (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37001)

Cheimison 09-18-04 11:01 AM

So, I want to give this MMFPS thing a try

I want to try out the whole huge maps tons of people FPS games. I downloaded a few demos and this is what I got out of them:
Operation Flashpoint was graphically lame. The controls could be a bit awkward, too. Otherwise it seemed decent but I think I'd rather go with something more modern.
Joint Operations: Typhoon Force had acceptable graphics, but I couldn't figure out what was going on. I couldn't see anyone who was shooting at me, it was a bit awkward and more irritating than intense. It was like fighting a sniper, but a magical sniper with no muzzle flash and an m60*.
I'm downloading a demo of 1942. Anyone else have an reccomendations?

*Addendum Rant: The M60 in video games is retarded. M60s have an effective firing rate of about 100 rounds per minute. They are NOT intended to be used as a continuous fire weapon like the M249. The barrels will overheat and can cause catastrophic weapon failure at a rate over 100 or so rounds per minute. 7.62x51 rifles don't run into this as much because of the small magazines and the fact that they are rarely fired on full auto straight through - the recoil is just too much to make such an action worthwhile. But anyways, I wish video games would stop having these fakeass M60s that bear no relation to the actual M60 (the same applies for HK 21E and other similar 7.62 belt-fed weapons). The purpose of these guns is 400-1000m infantry support, NOT suppression fire or squad-combat. I can't imagine what sort of Rambo delusions these game makers must be under.

And I know someone is going to say: but it says here that M60s have a firing rate of 500rpm! or some such. That is the cyclic rate, how fast bullets come out of the gun when you hold the trigger down. However, holding a trigger down for more than 100 rounds/minute is likely to ruin your gun.

nVidi0t 09-19-04 02:13 AM

Re: So, I want to give this MMFPS thing a try

You mean Massive Multiplayer FPS?

PLANETSIDE!

Da Alians 09-19-04 09:50 AM

tribes 2 is old but fun still

Slyder 09-19-04 11:19 AM

Call of Duty ;)

|MaguS| 09-19-04 11:37 AM

Soldner is fun after the massive patching.

CaptNKILL 09-19-04 12:19 PM

I dont think any of these games besides Planetside really are Massively Multiplayer FPSs, but as for large scale FPSs, Battlefield 1942 running the Desert Combat mod is still the best multiplayer experience ive EVER had.

BF1942 and BF Vietnam are ok, but the Desert Combat mod for 1942 blows them both away by a lot. Mostly because of scale\realism. Tanks actually fire over a mile in DC, rather than 100 feet in BF1942 and BFV. I still play Desert Combat all the time, and it hasnt been updated since some time last year. Now I have become a master at anti-aircraft weaponry, especially on the Iraqi team on El Alamein :D

BTW, I agree with what you said about the M60, and you'll be happy to know that not only is DC fun, but it makes sense too. The United States side has an M249 SAW ... the Iraqis on the other hand have a PKM. More power, but it overheats faster.

EDIT: I also tried the Joint Ops demo and noticed the same things you said, plus it runs terrible compaired to other games that look 10x better. That game just all around sucks in my opinion. Feels like a budget title where they created a bunch of features, tied them together loosely, and called it a finished product. None of it really seems to work that well.