nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The games you love to hate (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37653)

saturnotaku 09-28-04 04:15 PM

The games you love to hate

I had some free time last weekend so I decided to revisit Ninja Gaiden on my Xbox. That's what prompted this thread. I want to know what games you all love to hate - ones that have caused you to want to break your keyboards/controllers in frustration, yet at the same time you were incredibly compelled to finish the game.

Ninja Gaiden is by far number 1 on my list. I absolutely abhor this game, but I still want to play because I feel an incredible sense of reward upon completing a level/mission. The fixed camera issues from the first hurricane pack should help alleviate some of the frustration, and I can't wait to get that downloaded.

Far Cry is another game that's on this list. The outstanding graphics and incredible sense of immersion overshadowed the vast amounts of frustration that came from playing, especially in the later levels. Sure, the ending sucked donkey bong, but the game was still worth every last red cent.

So how about you?

Riptide 09-28-04 05:12 PM

Re: The games you love to hate

I know I'm wierd like this but Jedi Outcast was a game like that for me. There were some areas that had puzzles for which I swear I could not figure it out. But the game was good enough that after raising the white flag and opening up the walkthrough I continued on anyway. I didn't beat Desann with the help of the guide at least. :)

GamerGuyX 09-28-04 06:15 PM

Speaking of games that have pissed us off. What exactly have you guys done when getting mad? Me? I once head-butted my monitor before. :rolleyes: I also once threw a controller on my bed only to have it bounce back up and hit me in the face. (omg) Oh, and I once punched a hole through my door...

But that was a long time ago... :angel2:

Seoulstriker 09-28-04 06:26 PM

Half Life sucks s***.

CaptNKILL 09-28-04 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamingLordX
Speaking of games that have pissed us off. What exactly have you guys done when getting mad? I once head-butted my monitor before. :rolleyes: I also once threw a controller on my bed only to have it bounce back up and hit me in the face. (omg) Oh, and I once punched a hole through my door...

But that was a long time ago... :angel2:

I remember when i was little Nintendo games pissed me off really bad, so Id stomp on the ground. Remember the old nintendos? Ya... Id stomp and the game would pop up inside the system and itd crash. Those systems were such a horrible design :argh:

Vash 09-28-04 07:12 PM

Ninja Gaiden's more love than hate for me... but you know, all it takes is a bad afternoon and that changes pretty quick. Halo on Legendary is definitely the same kinda thing.

I'd also like to add: Tetris, Bejeweled, Far Cry and NFS: Hot Persuit 2 to the list.

karkrash81 09-28-04 07:41 PM

Far cry for sure...i did give up at the last boss though...

X wing alliance comes to mind...that was a hard game

generally i try to avoid games that frustrate me...after reading quite a few reviews i can usually get the gist of a game... i hate first person shooters with maze like maps where you get lost and can't find your friggin' way out... that's just plain bad game design...fortunately most shooters are not like that now

and tetris is worse than drugs for me... i don't play it because if i do, i'll be unable to do anything else for hours...

aAv7 09-28-04 08:26 PM

I agree...Tetris is video game crack.

LiquidX 09-28-04 08:37 PM

Another vote for Ninja Gaiden. I really hate the game even though I should love it and I sometimes put it down for weeks but there is like a urge in me to finish it and be rid of it. I really cant play it for long and hope if there is a sequal its nothing like it.

karkrash81 09-28-04 09:27 PM

now i have that damn tetris music stuck in my head!

Edge 09-28-04 10:07 PM

Heh, I actually thought the difficulty in Ninja Gaiden was about right. There were a few very tough fights (like the first battle against Alma, and that damn Dragon who was very fun but they put the save point wayyyyy on the other side of the level from him), but overall it was nice to play a game that I really felt like I was being challenged. I though Farcry was alright, but the difficulty in that game was just plain unbalanced. First off the checkpoints sucked 90% of the time (it's like they took the save location from the Dragon fight in Ninja Gaiden and decided to make EVERY major checkpoint like that), and secondly some "fights" consisted of waiting about 5 minutes for the marines and mutants to stop killing eachother before rushing in and killing the survivors. Now I like games that have 2 opposing sides fighting eachother, but it's only fun when you can see which side is winning and help out the losing side by picking off a few of the stronger guys for them, like Halo did in later levels. Breakdown is one game that I thoroughly enjoyed, however some of the checkpoints and fights were quite annoying. Combat against multiple people is fairly managable once you figure out how to do it, but some of those enemies were just so damn annoying when they gang up on you (including one very hard part at the end of the game where you fight like 5 waves of enemies in a row).

BTW, check out the Hurricane Pack volume 2, it makes Ninja Gaiden like twice as hard :D

mrrolf 09-28-04 10:26 PM

I used to spit at the TV.
Not a good idea when playing at a friends house.