nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Nvidia drivers hang my system (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37679)

bolange 09-28-04 11:44 PM

Nvidia drivers hang my system

I am running the "testing" version of Debian. My kernel version is 2.6.8. When I start XFree86 up I get the nvidia splash screen and then Gnome appears to load as normal presenting me with my typical desktop. I may swirl the mouse around as much as I like and the text/graphics on xmms and gkrellm scroll across the app as expected. As soon as I click a mouse button the text/graphics quit scrolling and the system locks up. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace (or any other keys for that matter) produces no effect and I have to reboot the system. Can someone assist me in getting my graphics card working properly? It is a GeForce FX 5700LE.

bolange 09-28-04 11:49 PM

Re: Nvidia drivers hang my system

3 Attachment(s)
Attached are the relevant log files...

Also, the drivers appear to install correctly when running the 1.0-6111 install script.

ateam 09-29-04 12:31 AM

While looking through your config file, I noticed:

Code:

Section "Module"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "speedo"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
EndSection

I use X.Org rather than XFree86, however the two don't differ that much. My modules section looks as follows:

Code:

Section "Module"
        Load    "dbe"

SubSection "extmod"
                Option  "omit xfree86-dga"
        EndSubSection

Load    "type1"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "speedo"
        Load    "glx"
EndSection

I suggest following my example to see what happens. If you still experience the same problems, then I don't know what else you can do :(

mctylr 09-29-04 08:58 AM

AFAIK ateam's suggestion about modules is a non-issue. Your modules seem to be loading okay.

I would suggest finding where the problem is first. Is the problem your Debain system? That is, is the system stable without running X? Can you compile a kernel without locking up for example?

Is it the Desktop Environment or Window Manager? GNOME in this case. Install a very minimal window manager like twm (or fvwm2) and test your X configuration with that.

Then if that does work, try increasing the logging from X, 'startx -- -logverbose 5'.

Hope that helps.

bolange 09-29-04 02:31 PM

The computer works fine if I only change the driver line from "nvidia" to "vesa". Also, this logging *is* 'startx -- -logverbose 5'