nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Pixel shader position switcheroo in 3dMark05... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37836)

Subtestube 09-30-04 06:28 PM

Pixel shader position switcheroo in 3dMark05...

I'm just generally wondering how it is that the typical situation we've seen before has been switched in 3dMark05. I'm not complaining - I'm really interested in what it is about the card architecture that's providing the X800 with better Pixel shader performance than the 6800, when everywhere else we've seen the 6800 series seems to take the lead in fragment shader performance? It seems a little odd to me.

[Note: I'm talking about the strictly Pixel shader test - not the in games]. So... any ideas? Where is it in the X800 architecture that it's getting such radical gains in PS performance?

jbirney 10-01-04 11:41 AM

Re: Pixel shader position switcheroo in 3dMark05...

Subtestube,

thats a good point. However synthetics are forward looking benchmarks. The level, ammount and style of shaders they use are "ahead" of how games will/may use them. Trying to compare current day perfromance to 3Dmark is not a meaning full comparision. For example one of the scenes in 3dmark2k5 hits the 4 million polygon mark. No game today comes close to that. So we need to spend more time understanding how 3dmark2k5 works and give NV/ATI time to still tweak their hardware before we can know for certian if there is a real limitation that cause one to be faster..or something else.

subbo 10-01-04 04:47 PM

To answer (or guess) your question about the superior performance, I'd say its down to the raw number crunching power of the core clock. The 8000+ score was done with 850Mhz+ which is twice what an Ultra can offer, and so is (almost) the score.

rohit 10-03-04 05:29 AM

I feel the same,
Ive seen only overcloked Ultras and GT's get 5K+ scores, n some x800 pros scorin more than an ultra runnin at stock speeds. I guess this has to be related with the core frequency. Higher the core frequency.. higher the score in ,05'.
Even the highest scoring XTPE was cloked at 806MHz core.. whereas the 2 Sli Ultras wer cloked at stock 400 each...
I really dont understand wheather the results are PS bound or FillRate Bound.

Enlighten me if i am wrong!

Btw i scored 3915 with mah MSI GT at stock speed. usin 61.77 drivers
With my rig not even attaining 4k is sad, bad & is drivin me mad.
I dont bleve in oc'ing of mah card coz all the games are runnin absolutely great on stock speeds of my card.
Ocing of mah processor didnt make shi* difference.
it wuldnt hav made any diff anyways, coz ive read the P4 is defeating the athlon64 ... lol thats more than funny.

NEODARK 10-05-04 10:53 AM

its the drivers you are using, get 66.70's or 66.81's they will put you around 4500+ with no tweaks :)