nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Far Cry just got so much prettier... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38404)

superklye 10-09-04 02:42 PM

Far Cry just got so much prettier...

I never really noticed those "Renderer" options in the video options tab before. HOLY CRAP! "Cold" is my favorite...it makes everything look so washed out and so much more, well, real...and the semi-cel shaded "carton" option is frickin' sweet!

Now if only it would stop freezing after 15 minutes of play. :rolleyes:

BioHazZarD 10-09-04 02:49 PM

Re: Far Cry just got so much prettier...

cartoon is just silly but yeeah cold is nice.

Connaught 10-09-04 02:49 PM

Personally I like the complete opposite of cold; Paradise.

It adds so much colour/life to the game that it is just beautiful.

I tend to find cold to be (although sharper image wise) rather plain, as if life has been drained out of the game...but hey, we all have our prefrences. :)

superklye 10-09-04 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connaught
Personally I like the complete opposite of cold; Paradise.

It adds so much colour/life to the game that it is just beautiful.

I tend to find cold to be (although sharper image wise) rather plain, as if life has been drained out of the game...but hey, we all have our prefrences. :)

see, and I'm the exact opposite. I can't take Paradise seriously because it IS so bright. Life isn't like that and it makes me feel like it really is a game. Cold makes it so gritty and so much more lifelike...at least to me.

SWFGestapo 10-09-04 07:51 PM

Try going to the Grand Cayman Isle, or Hawaii. It is insanely bright and the sand glares so much you can't look at it. There is virtually no overcast and even when there is it covers such a small area relative to the horizon from the ocean that it's still bright.
Paradise is definitly more realistic, cold looks like Oregon or London, not a tropical island.
And that was the entire point of Far Cry, that it doesn't look gritty. It looks like a resort, and the incongruous appearance of men with guns and giant monsters creates an entertaining bizarrity we rarely see in games.
Personally I'm about sick of flourescent-lit labratories full of shadowy corners and cramped hallways. :lame:

jAkUp 10-09-04 11:53 PM

I only play on paradise mode also :) Cold looks too "blue" for me

aAv7 10-10-04 02:20 PM

Paradise mode = digital vibrance set to medium

WeReWoLf 10-10-04 04:02 PM

I quite like cartoon mode, but I normally play it in improved mode. I've known about the render options since i first got the game.

Intel17 10-10-04 06:10 PM

I personally don't like the cold render mode.

I like paradise or improved :)

WeReWoLf 10-10-04 06:39 PM

If you want the best representation of Farcry, visit Fraser Island or the Whitsundays.

SWFGestapo 10-10-04 06:49 PM

Far Cry is actually based on the Jurassic Park islands, which were in turn small Hawaiin islands. The original game was a JP ripoff with big islands and lots of foliage where dinosaurs roamed. They scrapped everything but the terrain engine. Hawaii's beaches are just like that, by the way, the white, white sand. There are some black beaches, too, but those hurt. If you can find any island not covered in commercial resorts, you'll see the terrain and vegitation are exactly the same.

pat777 10-10-04 06:49 PM

Damn, I thought the 1.3 patch was just released. :(