nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   FarCry 1.3 - OpenEXR HDR, 3dc, SM3.0 by default, more! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38849)

Ruined 10-16-04 11:16 PM

FarCry 1.3 - OpenEXR HDR, 3dc, SM3.0 by default, more!

Here are some of the highlights from crytek just released relating to video additions to farcry 1.3, which will be out shortly:

* Normal Map Compression. Requirements: NVidia: Geforce FX Family or better, ATI: x800 card or better. This feature is disabled by default. To enable it, type r_TexNormalMapCompressed 1 in the console after loading a level. Enabling this feature during the game may take some time - the PC may appear to freeze. This variable will not be saved when restarting the game. Enabling normal map compression will have prolonged execution the first time running through a level due to initial compression phase occurring in real time through the level. Subsequent reloads of the same level will yield better performance and therefore we recommend that you run any benchmark twice and to take the second of the two runs for benchmarking purposes since this most closely represents the usual user experience. (my note: this should be 3dc for x800 cards and dxt5 for FX/6800 cards)

* SM 3.0 and SM 2.0x are now enabled by default when graphics settings are set to ‘Very High’. To see performance increases you must have Direct X 9.0c installed.

* Improved tangent-space calculation to improve bumpmap quality.

* Anisotropic filtering disabled for some textures (light-maps, several lookup textures, fall-off maps) for increased performance.

* OpenEXR HDR Lighting. Requirements: NVidia GeForce 6 Family or better. This feature is disabled by default. To enable it set the r_HDRRendering parameter to 1. Not compatible with anti-aliasing.

Ruined 10-16-04 11:37 PM

Re: FarCry 1.3 - OpenEXR HDR, 3dc, SM3.0 by default, more!

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeero1978
when is the release?????!!!???? :)

"soon"

jAkUp 10-16-04 11:38 PM

Jeez, I played with these effects 6 months ago at e3!

MUYA 10-17-04 12:02 AM

so no displacement mapping? hmmm just more augmentation of bump mapping?

still cannot wait for this patch :)

S.I.N 10-17-04 12:07 AM

Good now ultimate can stop crying.

Link to all of this?

MUYA 10-17-04 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.I.N

lol

but harsh mate ;)

aAv7 10-17-04 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.I.N

Link to all of this?

:::wipes tears::: owned: (gay) :thumbsup:

Omega53 10-17-04 01:46 AM

Happy now Ultimate ;)

Gaco 10-17-04 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUYA
so no displacement mapping? hmmm just more augmentation of bump mapping?

still cannot wait for this patch :)

Couldn't it be, that Displacement Mapping would be a part of the SM3.0 mode?

Edge 10-17-04 05:31 AM

Possibly the code itself to use Displacement Mapping, however changing level and texture data to take advantage of it would GREATLY increase the patch file size, and would take quite a bit of time to modify every needed texture for displacement mapping. I think we might see a few mod projects to add displacement mapping into the game, assuming the engine allows for it, however even from the start I thought it was odd that they were planning on adding such a huge feature into a patch.

Subtestube 10-17-04 05:50 AM

It wouldn't just be textures they'd need to change, it'd be Vertex Shaders. I mean.. I guess it's feasible... but most modders wouldn't know what they were doing in a non high level shading language (as opposed to HLSL itself). Any ideas as to whether Far Cry uses HLSL, Cg, GLSL or... just plain plain assembly? You're right though... they'd probably need to make dedicated vertex textures to make it look at all good.

saturnotaku 10-17-04 08:47 AM

It wouldn't be GLSL being that Far Cry is a Direct3D game. ;)