nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Tim Sweeney V.S. John Carmack (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39234)

Intel17 10-22-04 11:31 AM

Tim Sweeney V.S. John Carmack

Ok guys, who do you think is a better coder of game engines, Tim Sweeney or John Carmack.

Please no responses such as, "Sweeney makes teh better games" or "Carmack's games are soo much better"
Because they don't make gameplay.

Gaco 10-22-04 12:59 PM

Re: Tim Sweeney V.S. John Carmack

They are both very good at their job, but John Carmack has shown supreme capacity and skill that still is unmatched IMO. His superior skills has been proven time after time in ID's games, and the Doom3 just underline that fact. I don't know anything about Tim Sweeny's work, how important he is to Epics games, but as the Unreal Engines are without any doubt are great ones, there has always been a superior engine out - Carmacks.

In any case, in glad that they are both in the industri and I'm delighted for their work and products :)

PS: All this could also change when Epic release Unreal 3? But I guess that Carmack and Co. will have something new ready for us at that time. I just don't see why we should talk so competative about these two fellos, I just see them as great people who have attribute that has contributed greatly to the industri and all the gamers ;)

|JuiceZ| 10-22-04 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaco
PS: All this could also change when Epic release Unreal 3? But I guess that Carmack and Co. will have something new ready for us at that time. I just don't see why we should talk so competative about these two fellos, I just see them as great people who have attribute that has contributed greatly to the industri and all the gamers ;)

Agreed. Truth is, John Carmack is a legend in the pc gaming industry and if it were not for Id, there wouldn't be a fps genre. Tim Sweeney is very much on his way to becoming one though, especially with the release of a game built off the incredibly detailed Unreal3 engine. Theses two guys have definitely made an great impact in the pc gaming industry & should continue into the next several years ;)

nVidi0t 10-22-04 02:28 PM

Carmack is God.

That is all.

DMA 10-22-04 02:32 PM

I have no idea who's best. I know they both look nerdy enough though. :wong:

Fatman 10-22-04 02:35 PM

Both of them made tremendous advancements for the industry, and I'm grateful for their contributions. Also, I can't say that id makes great games. They make amazing technology demos, but game content has always been a little thin.

de><ta 10-22-04 02:38 PM

Cliffy B!!!!(naw)

living proof that a game developer does not have to be fat or nerdish but can be real cool :super:

<runs away>

aAv7 10-22-04 03:01 PM

isn't cliffy b the red-headed step child? He aint cool =P

But my vote goes to Sweeny....he knows how to implement high res textures to a wall.... :bleh:

Carmack basically had one great idea ....and recycled it with updates every 4 years.

-=DVS=- 10-22-04 03:06 PM

Both good , Doom series and Unreal series started FPS crusade :D

Intel17 10-22-04 03:34 PM

Carmack has more talent and knowledge, however, Tim Sweeney is more dedicated as of late, because Carmack is retiring :(

superklye 10-22-04 03:48 PM

wasn't there already a big debate thread about this? or am I imagining it?

Intel17 10-22-04 03:51 PM

I do not believe so...

In Anycase, They're both great at what they do, imo. It's just carmack knows where things are going, Sweeney is maybe as talented, but isnt as good as predicting...