nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   ATI's most secret Linux development tool revealed! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39273)

DSC 10-23-04 03:15 AM

ATI's most secret Linux development tool revealed!

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33784907

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :nanahump: (spit)

Praetor Judis 10-23-04 12:27 PM

Re: ATI's most secret Linux development tool revealed!

As a Linux user with the misfortune of having a Radeon Mobility in my laptop, I find that to be very funny.

It'll be even more funny when my new Geforce Go equipped laptop arrives with the next couple of weeks!

Imbroglio 10-24-04 05:38 PM

lmao, bah i remember those days when i felt so utterly dumb with my 9800pro, now with a 6800gt, i feel soooo much better :)

in all honesty, for some of the ati linux releases, it really wouldnt suprise me if something like that was used, the best drivers for the 9800pro were the ones that first included the card == sad, every other driver after that would break games, or you'd get 5fps in ut2k3, bah, enough ranting, soo happy those days are over :nanahump:

oldsk00l 10-24-04 11:40 PM

Guys that's one of the FEW posts that ATI's Matthew Tippett posted in response to.

LMA 11-10-04 12:36 PM

Lol :)

DaBlade 11-21-04 09:32 AM

Lmao

cgdef 12-11-04 01:16 PM

Well you can keep on ragging on ATI but the truth is that if it wasn't for them Nvidia would have never tried as hard as they did to keep their position in the business. Oh, and it is compleatelly untrue that nvidia cards are so much more superior than ati's.

PS. I'd still like to get my hands on a 6800 Ultra though ... that is if I could afford it and find one.

connyosis 12-11-04 02:17 PM

It is however true that Nvidias drivers are superior to Ati's. What good is a great card if you cannot use it due to crappy drivers? (And the same goes to nvidia and the nvsound driver...)

oldsk00l 12-12-04 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgdef
Well you can keep on ragging on ATI but the truth is that if it wasn't for them Nvidia would have never tried as hard as they did to keep their position in the business. Oh, and it is compleatelly untrue that nvidia cards are so much more superior than ati's.

PS. I'd still like to get my hands on a 6800 Ultra though ... that is if I could afford it and find one.

Actually, ATI has done nothing to spur nVidia to develop better Linux drivers. It was Matrox, 3dfx, and heh, 3dlabs. The only drivers that suck worse in Linux today are 3dfx's, however feature wise 3dfx's linux drivers are still quite competitive to the dilapidated pile of filth/trash that ATI has shovelled upon their users.

In fact, the open source community develops drivers faster than ATI can for the 8500 hardware. The opensourced drivers for the 8500 completely blow fglrx out of the water for all R2x0 cards.

This is how bad ATI's suckage is with this area.

Oh no, ATI gets no credit for nVidia's drivers. Matrox and 3DLabs do, and in fact so does nVidia-customers.

WRT saying "Oh nVidia cards are not THAT much superior to ATI's blah blah"
go eat a rock

Zelda_fan 12-12-04 08:13 PM

this is funny stuff lol

borgzilla 12-18-04 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgdef

There's nothing superior about nvidia under linux. It just works while ati...well you know it.

murali 01-09-05 11:20 AM

If you're saying that the drivers offered at the ATI websites are not trustworthy, should I just stick to the default drivers for x800xt that were installed by Fedora Core 3? Please advice. I know nuts about linux. Just installed successfully yesterday.