nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   What is the best PCI card please?? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39400)

JamesDax 10-25-04 03:01 PM

What is the best PCI card please??
 
5700LE or 5600??

All responses appreciated. Thanks.

tristancarton 10-25-04 03:35 PM

Re: What is the best PCI card please??
 
this has come up alot in the past few weeks(perhaps too many people buying cheap dell or compaq computers) i wish i knew the answer on the 5700le.

anyhow here is the best roundup as far as i can find.(5700le is missing and i am unable to find any reviews for it)
http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=445

if someone has the pci 5700le please post your cpu and 3dmark 2001 scores.

AthlonXP1800 10-25-04 03:38 PM

Re: What is the best PCI card please??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesDax
5700LE or 5600??

All responses appreciated. Thanks.

5700LE

Actually 5700 is same version and faster than slower 5600.

ragejg 10-25-04 03:40 PM

Re: What is the best PCI card please??
 
5700LE or Radeon 9100...

I used to lean towards ATI as far as PCI was concerned, but to be fair and current, it's worth mentioning that R2xx driver support hasn't been so great lately, while nv's full support for the fx line more ensures bug-free gaming...

AthlonXP1800 10-25-04 03:47 PM

Re: What is the best PCI card please??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ragejg
5700LE or Radeon 9100...

Actually Radeon 9100 is based on the same Radeon 8500 core back in 2001, that 3 years old technology and 5700LE is just only 1 year old now.

tristancarton 10-25-04 04:00 PM

Re: What is the best PCI card please??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800
Actually Radeon 9100 is based on the same Radeon 8500 core back in 2001, that 3 years old technology and 5700LE is just only 1 year old now.

very true. also true that the 5700le has the nv3x directx 9.0 ps 2.0 whereas the radeon 9100 only has directx8.1 and ps 1.4. However i will say the 9100s may be three years old but they are still pretty dang quick.(8500 cores in pci form) i own a pci 64mb visiontek 9100 250/250(default speeds) and it actually can play new games at all low settings and fairly low resolutions. it may be three years old and may not be "super new" but it is still one of the top pci cards available.(perhaps the best) i just wish we had a 5700le in that roundup i posted. i believe the 5700le is clocked lower than the 5600 card in that roundup and that kind of scares me.

rage, you are correct that the 5700 nvidia drivers are better than the radeon 8500/9100 drivers.

anzak 10-25-04 04:10 PM

Re: What is the best PCI card please??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800
Actually Radeon 9100 is based on the same Radeon 8500 core back in 2001, that 3 years old technology and 5700LE is just only 1 year old now.

Still, the Radeon 9100 is the fastest PCI card available. But with the current state of drivers for the R2xx I would say pass. What really matters most when it comes to PCI video cards is the amount of frame buffer the card has.

Highest FPS: Radeon 9100 128mb
Smoothest game play in older games: Geforce FX 5700LE 128mb
Smoothest game play in newer games: BFG Geforce FX 5200 256mb

Most newer games eat a lot of video memory and when a PCI card runs out of video memory it's SOL. It cannot interface with the system ram like an AGP card can. Call of Duty is a good example.

It's a toss up between the 128mb 5700LE and the 256mb 5200.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tristancarton
rage, you are correct that the 5700 nvidia drivers are better than the radeon 8500/9100 drivers.

Yes. I am currently using a Radeon 9000 for my primary gaming card. I have encountered no less than 4 bugs in CS: Source (one of which is a white box around every light source and the box can be seen through walls). It's not the game ether because I did not have thoughs troubles with my 6800GT.

tristancarton 10-25-04 04:27 PM

Re: What is the best PCI card please??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by anzak
Most newer games eat a lot of video memory and when a PCI card runs out of video memory it's SOL. It cannot interface with the system ram like an AGP card can. Call of Duty is a good example.

very very good point.

example: my 64 mb 9100 can run the far cry demo at a constant 35-45 at 1024 with everything on the lowest settings possible. however if i bump it up to medium settings the game runs at 5fps-30.(mostly 5, esp. when you move the mouse around alot) this is due to the slow as crap pci bus and the video memory swapping. this will get ten times worse as games get more detailed.

i will say however the pci 9100 i have runs the cs:source timedemo pretty gosh darn well and should be able to run hl2 well.(hl2 runs amazingly well on 8500 cards)

anzak, are you using the 8.07 beta drivers or the omega drivers based off of them for your 9000. i know i had problems in cs source when i used the betas. i went back to the 4.9s and that fixed the problem. not sure about 4.10 because the 9100 isn't in my secondary pc right now.

XanderF 10-30-04 04:55 PM

Re: What is the best PCI card please??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by anzak
It's a toss up between the 128mb 5700LE and the 256mb 5200.

Ummm...why would it be a tossup between a 128mb 5700LE and a 256mb FX5200?

Why not just get the PCI GeForce FX 5700LE 256mb?

Bit pricey, but if your option is ONLY PCI....this card should kick ass!

Kojiro 10-30-04 06:17 PM

Re: What is the best PCI card please??
 
5700 LE has only 4 pixel piplines. AT 250Mhz it will be no better than 5200 (also 4 piplines at 250Mhzs). BFG's PCI 5200 se is at 270 and comes with 256mb of Vram.

the 5700 LE may be able to OC to higher clock speeds than 5200se.

So bottom line you must OC the 5700Le to see any real performance over 5200. The 5600 (also 4 piplines) is clocked at 325. So by default the 5600 owns the 5700LE. And it will be an even better overclocker.

the only thing the 5700 LE has over 5200 and 5600 is more vertex processors and piplines, but that is not going to do jack when rendering high quality textures and lighting which is the real cause for low frame rates in games.

coldpower27 10-30-04 06:28 PM

Re: What is the best PCI card please??
 
The 5700 LE maybe clocked at only 250MHZ, but it also contains the color compression, and Intellisample technology, of it's bigger brothers unlike the FX 5200.

The FX 5700 LE, also get the benefits of having 3 Vertex Shaders and Ultra Shadow technology. I would say the FX 5700 LE 256MB, is one of the best cards available for PCI form, the Radeon 9100 is good, though is hindered by the poor driver support, and lack of DX9.

Daneel Olivaw 10-30-04 08:18 PM

Re: What is the best PCI card please??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kojiro
5700 LE has only 4 pixel piplines. AT 250Mhz it will be no better than 5200 (also 4 piplines at 250Mhzs). BFG's PCI 5200 se is at 270 and comes with 256mb of Vram.

the 5700 LE may be able to OC to higher clock speeds than 5200se.

So bottom line you must OC the 5700Le to see any real performance over 5200. The 5600 (also 4 piplines) is clocked at 325. So by default the 5600 owns the 5700LE. And it will be an even better overclocker.

the only thing the 5700 LE has over 5200 and 5600 is more vertex processors and piplines, but that is not going to do jack when rendering high quality textures and lighting which is the real cause for low frame rates in games.

I'm not sure about the details but the 5700 is closer to a 4x1 while the 5200 is closer to a 2x2. I owned a 5700nu (AGP) for a while, and it performed exactly like a ti4200, which is not bad IMO. And a 5700 core clock can go real high, I think I was running close to 500MHz.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.