nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   kacpid uses 98% of CPU (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40235)

shatter 11-08-04 01:00 AM

kacpid uses 98% of CPU

kacpid uses 98% of CPU. I have a dell 1.3ghz cerleron with 512 ram and the most recent nvidia drivers (1.0-6629). my distro is fedora core 2, kernel version is 2.6.8-1.521. For some reason i keep getting redirected to the NVIDIA binary drivers as the source of the problem. does anyone know of any solution or work around?

andyrock 11-08-04 05:39 AM

Re: kacpid uses 98% of CPU

Searching for kacpid here didn't give any thread other than this one, so probably you should ask again those people who redirected you here :P

zajelo3 11-08-04 03:20 PM

You can turn acpi off by adding "acpi=off" to the kernel boot argument line in /boot/grub/grub.conf like:

title Fedora Core (2.6.9-ck3)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-ck3 ro root=/dev/hda3 rhgb acpi=off apm=off quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-ck3.img

shatter 11-09-04 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyrock
Searching for kacpid here didn't give any thread other than this one...

Thank you for stating the obvious. Hummm, maybe thatís the reason I started this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyrock
...so probably you should ask again those people who redirected you here :P

Why would I do that, so that I can get redirected back here? (Wow, I better be careful being such a "n00b" and all. I could get caught in an infinite loop.) And why would you even reply to a legit question that you know absolutly nothing about? I hope you think this makes you look cool cause I don't. :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by zajelo3
You can turn acpi off by adding "acpi=off" to the kernel boot argument line in /boot/grub/grub.conf like:

title Fedora Core (2.6.9-ck3)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-ck3 ro root=/dev/hda3 rhgb acpi=off apm=off quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-ck3.img

Thank you. :)

nrosier 11-15-04 06:32 PM

Don't want to bash Linux or Nvidia but isn't open-source great? Nobody is responsible anymore. I've got the same problem. Redhat says it's Nvidia related, Nvidia seems to deny so people are stuck with a broken system and nobody seems to care. And they're surprised Windows is so popular (at least with Windows somebody sometimes listens to you).
So basicly the answer to this problem is: solve it yourself... you don't like it, don't use it... well guess what? that's what a lot of folks seem to be doing...
boy did that feel great

shatter 11-16-04 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrosier
Don't want to bash Linux or Nvidia but isn't open-source great? Nobody is responsible anymore. I've got the same problem. Redhat says it's Nvidia related, Nvidia seems to deny so people are stuck with a broken system and nobody seems to care. And they're surprised Windows is so popular (at least with Windows somebody sometimes listens to you).
So basicly the answer to this problem is: solve it yourself... you don't like it, don't use it... well guess what? that's what a lot of folks seem to be doing...
boy did that feel great

Suicide is the only thing that can cure your ignorance.

stkris 08-13-06 04:16 AM

I'm posting a reply because I just installed the official NVidia drivers on my PC running Debian Sarge.

And after rebooting kacpid has started harassing me too!

And this solidly 3 years after the last post. Does not NVidia debug their stuff?

If anybody have figured out a fix I'd be very glad to know about it. :)

Kristine

netllama 08-13-06 02:39 PM

stkris, it seems unlikely that a 2 year old thread has any relevance to what you're reporting. However, I'd need to see an nvidia-bug-report.log along with details on how to reproduce the problem you're reporting. I'd be especially interested in why you rebooted the system, and what changed since rebooting.

Thanks,
Lonni