nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Hard Locks and Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4070)

Chalnoth 11-15-02 01:29 PM

Hard Locks and Linux

Yeah, Linux is supposed to be more stable. It doesn't seem to be on my machine.

Anyway, I'm hopeful somebody out there can help me out, as I'm not exactly a Linux guru.

Here's the crux of the problem:

Upon loading apmd, Gnome, or KDE, the system hard locks. I can't switch to a console, and if I happen to be in another console at the "freeze point", all input is frozen. Input gets frozen if I attempt to access the apm file that exists somewhere in /proc.

I managed to nix the apmd problem simply by forcing the system not to load the daemon, but I can't seem to fix the Gnome/KDE problems.

As a side note, I can enter failsafe mode, and I even managed to install and run Unreal Tournament just fine. But, most of X is useless without a windows manager.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, can anybody point me to the settings locations for Gnome and/or KDE? Or perhaps to another X-window manager that I can try out? Perhaps one with less functionality won't freeze the system...

And yes, I expect I have a hardware problem (I'm beginning to think more and more that it's the motherboard, but I'm not sure yet...sometimes I wish I was back home so I could diagnose these things with my bro's comp...).

kappax 11-15-02 09:42 PM

what distro. and what dyou your

.xsession-errors
.gnomerc-errors
and
/var/log/XFree86.0.log

say after you reboot befor you start X again ?

Chalnoth 11-16-02 12:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm using Redhat 7.3 (Just fyi, the problem also occurs, in the exact same form, under Redhat 7.2, so I'm pretty certain I have a hardware problem that I would, nevertheless, like to work around)

Anyway, I've attached the XFree86.0.log file, and here's what the .xsession-errors file states:

SESSION_MANAGER=local/localhost.localdomain:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1583
aumix: error opening mixer

The hard lock error had better not be due to attempting to open the audio mixer! Anyway, I was unable to find the .gnomerc-errors file, or anything similar.

Update:
What's with Linux and these smart-ass remarks? Just noticed this in the log file:
(II) do I need RAC? No, I don't.

Somehow I get the feeling that those that program for Linux have a disdain for other OS's...which shall remain nameless....of course, it might be something else...I have no idea what RAC is, but it sure sounds like a snide jab...

kappax 11-16-02 01:05 AM

this is odd. I would try gettin redhat 8 or someting else new. cus you have no real errors that should lock things down from what i see.

Ryo-Ohki 11-16-02 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chalnoth
Update:
What's with Linux and these smart-ass remarks? Just noticed this in the log file:
(II) do I need RAC? No, I don't.

It's a Linux / Unix trademark. The OS itself, and many programs have these as well. For example, the tar command has something like 'Hmm, this doesn't look like a TAR archive' for a warning message.

And yet, this is still nothing compared to the comments you can find in the source code of certain programs... :)

kappax 11-16-02 02:02 AM

lol night to late to talk.

Chalnoth 11-16-02 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kappax
this is odd. I would try gettin redhat 8 or someting else new. cus you have no real errors that should lock things down from what i see.
Right. It appears to be locking up without generating any kind of error. Well, I'm thinking more and more that I should just go ahead and buy a new motherboard and pray that fixes things. My NIC card is out now, anyway, so downloading a new distro isn't feasible until I get it replaced. I figure it might be a good idea to just go ahead and get a new mobo/CPU with integrated ethernet (The Asus A7N8X is looking mighty sweet...).

Until then, could you point me to either some of the configuration files for gnome (or KDE), or another window manager that I could try?

kappax 11-16-02 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chalnoth
Right. It appears to be locking up without generating any kind of error. Well, I'm thinking more and more that I should just go ahead and buy a new motherboard and pray that fixes things. My NIC card is out now, anyway, so downloading a new distro isn't feasible until I get it replaced. I figure it might be a good idea to just go ahead and get a new mobo/CPU with integrated ethernet (The Asus A7N8X is looking mighty sweet...).

Until then, could you point me to either some of the configuration files for gnome (or KDE), or another window manager that I could try?

well i am on my way to scool, so all i will say is

FLUXBOX :) try fluxbox out.

you can try this too.

you say your network card is not in, that could be the problem

in your /etc/hosts file
add 1 entry

take your hostname and make it's ip 127.0.0.1

so in the file there would be a line that looked like this

127.0.0.1 HostNAME

Chalnoth 11-17-02 08:50 PM

Well, I imanaged to install and run Fluxbox (I'm actually using it right now! oooOOOooo....), and wow, is it ever a stripped-down GUI. At least it does have the proper menus, but I'd really like it if I could select a wallpaper for the desktop.

Anyway, my primary question right now is, how can I select fluxbox to load at startup? Right now I have to log into failsafe mode and run it from the console there.

Additionally, in order to get everything installed properly (Specifically, the graphics drivers), I originally selected text login. How can I change this to graphical login (I imagine I just change the init mode somewhere to 5 from 3?)?

And, my last question. I'm using an nForce motherboard, and I still can't get sound to work properly in all apps. nVidia's drivers apparently use the i810 audio drivers, so is there another place I get try some different i810 audio drivers at?

Update: Well, I guess I fixed the sound issue, due to a nearby thread on this very forum :) The sad thing is, I actually had the alsa drivers on my system from when I was trying to fix this very issue a while ago...I guess I just didn't follow through...

Chalnoth 11-20-02 08:24 PM

Just wanted to add this little update.

I got my new motherboard today! It's an Asus A7N8X, and I also got an Athlon XP 2000+ to go with it.

Now everything in Linux seems to work excellently. Well, except the sound. I'm still working on that.

lunix 11-20-02 09:32 PM

Glad to hear it Chalnoth. ALSA is a great architecture and has some nice stable drivers for lots of DSP chips. I have been using it for years with no troubles. However lots of new ALSA users have some troubles but Im sure you have the skills to get it working.

Chalnoth 11-20-02 10:35 PM

Well, I think nVidia changed the audio driver interface for the nForce2. It doesn't look like nVidia's current drivers work at all, either.

But, since the windows drivers now support OpenAL, I'm hopeful that the next release of their Linux drivers will as well. If they do, then that will be enough for me (previously the only problem I had with nVidia's own Linux drivers was in UT, which apparently uses OpenAL).