nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Some Suse 9.1 Pro issues (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40888)

SquireSCA 11-17-04 02:40 PM

Some Suse 9.1 Pro issues
 
OK, I installed it and it took all of 90 seconds to set up the NVidia drivers and get 3D working.

A couple issues though, before I can really consider migrating over from WinXP Pro...

1) DVD(CSS) playback
2) The most common video codecs like DIVX, WMV, etc...
3) I cannot install games like UT2003 or UT2004, as there is some weird way that it mounts the CDROM drives...

cjcox 11-17-04 06:16 PM

Re: Some Suse 9.1 Pro issues
 
http://packman.links2linux.org/

Follow the instructions for libdvdcss2 carefully as well (you'll have to pull in the source from a different location to build).

Should be able to get a functional xine, mplayer, kaffeine, etc after applying all of the updates there (it's what I use and probably most people use).

SquireSCA 11-17-04 09:13 PM

Re: Some Suse 9.1 Pro issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjcox
http://packman.links2linux.org/

Follow the instructions for libdvdcss2 carefully as well (you'll have to pull in the source from a different location to build).

Should be able to get a functional xine, mplayer, kaffeine, etc after applying all of the updates there (it's what I use and probably most people use).

Cool.

I threw WInXP Pro on my 80GB SATA drive, I set up a 200GB ATA133 drive using FAT32 for storage between both OS's, and I set up a 160GB SATA drive for Suse 9.2 Pro.

WOrks great, NVidia drivers installed with ease, and now all I have to do is set up DVD/DIVX/WMV playback, and find a way to install some games.

I can install game demo's fromd ownloaded files, but I cannot seem to install games like UT2004. It starts to install and then tells me to mount the CDROM. Don't know what the problem is, but it was this way in Suse 9.1 as well, while Mandrake 10 worked just fine...

Any idears?

SquireSCA 11-17-04 10:02 PM

Re: Some Suse 9.1 Pro issues
 
Installed the CSS files but it did not work, so I installed OGLE, and while basic, it does let me watch DVD's.

So now all I need to do is figure out how to install the games, and I should be pretty much there.

Richard1098 12-21-04 12:57 AM

Re: Some Suse 9.1 Pro issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SquireSCA
Installed the CSS files but it did not work, so I installed OGLE, and while basic, it does let me watch DVD's.

So now all I need to do is figure out how to install the games, and I should be pretty much there.

Transgaming's CeDega allows you to run some Windows games. Go to www.transgaming.com Please note that not all games will run, and you should read the release notes before upgrading kernels etc (currently kernel 2.6.9 breaks the copy protect function in cedega, so stay with 2.6.8)

oldsk00l 12-21-04 10:46 AM

Re: Some Suse 9.1 Pro issues
 
I had to setup symlinks to install ut2k+ correctly on my suse partition (when I had it)

I use Suse at work, but I think it licks balls for any kind of home/entertainment use. Use Fedora or Mandrake for gaming. FC2 was slower than crap, but FC3 is pretty snappy.

Suse is teh suck. At work it's been great for me though.

About the symlinks though, I just went into /mnt and ran ln -s /media/<whateveryourdevicedir is eg cdrom> cdrom

oldsk00l 12-21-04 10:47 AM

Re: Some Suse 9.1 Pro issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard1098
Transgaming's CeDega allows you to run some Windows games. Go to www.transgaming.com Please note that not all games will run, and you should read the release notes before upgrading kernels etc (currently kernel 2.6.9 breaks the copy protect function in cedega, so stay with 2.6.8)

No, don't go to transgaming, because it's a waste of money and is far more deconstructive to linux gaming than it is useful.

Transgaming/Cedega is teh suck and nobody should use it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.