nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Half-Life 2 Geforce 4200 go problems (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41042)

Old Yeller 11-19-04 10:53 AM

Half-Life 2 Geforce 4200 go problems

I tried to run HL2 on my Dell 8500 laptop and it will only run at about 1 FPS. I have the same problem with Far Cry too. The wierd thing is Doom 3 runs great so I know my laptop should be able to play HL2.

I tried the folllowing:
updated to latest drivers and Direct X
I rolled back to earlier drivers
I disabled the sound card
I set all the games settings to the lowest graphics settings

Nothing works. It's still like watching a slide show!

My laptop specs are:
2.4 MHZ P4
1 gig RAM
Geforce 4200 go

My laptop is for when I'm on the road so I don't use it much but it would be nice to play games sometimes. I know that the 4200 Go should play the game resonably well because Doom 3 plays great.

Anyone else have problems playing Far Cry or HL2 on thier Dell laptop with Geforce graphics? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

rewt 11-19-04 12:07 PM

Re: Half-Life 2 Geforce 4200 go problems

Quote:

I know that the 4200 Go should play the game resonably well because Doom 3 plays great.
You can't compare the performance of games like Doom and FarCry/HL2 to each other. Just because doom runs good doesn't mean FarCry or Half Life will. Why? Because Doom is OpenGL and FarCry is Direct3d (HL2 is also D3D). OpenGL games always run much faster than Direct3D games on nVidia hardware. Just check my sig for example. My doom3 benchmark is with 8x AF. My FarCry benchmark is with no AF and is still lower FPS on average. You're gonna need more power for D3D games, thats just how it is.

waldo555 11-19-04 08:42 PM

Hey! I'm also having problems with Half-Life 2. I have a Dell Latitude D800 with a Geforce 4200 go. I also have a 1.4 Pentium M and 1 Gig of RAM. That should be enough to play and Doom 3 runs fine for me too.

When I start HL2 I get a message that my drivers are out of date. Then I get to some kind of intro scene where it seems to run fine for a little while but then it crashes and I have to do a hard reboot. I never get to any kind of menu screen or anything.

I can't seem to get the drivers off the NVIDIA site to work. The ones on the Dell site are a year old. If anyone can tell me which drivers I can use or If anyone has HL2 up and running let me know please.

CaptNKILL 11-19-04 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rewt
You can't compare the performance of games like Doom and FarCry/HL2 to each other. Just because doom runs good doesn't mean FarCry or Half Life will. Why? Because Doom is OpenGL and FarCry is Direct3d (HL2 is also D3D). OpenGL games always run much faster than Direct3D games on nVidia hardware. Just check my sig for example. My doom3 benchmark is with 8x AF. My FarCry benchmark is with no AF and is still lower FPS on average. You're gonna need more power for D3D games, thats just how it is.

But still, it should be playable. A 4200 Go isnt top of the line, but theres no reason he should be getting "1fps" in HL2. Half-Life 2 runs a lot better on my machine than Doom 3 did, so yeah, id say its ok to say that if Doom 3 runs Half-Life 2 should too.

anzak 11-19-04 08:57 PM

Forum member mobilenvidia has drivers with modded inf files designed for laptops! You can download them HERE.

waldo555 11-19-04 09:40 PM

Ok, so the Nvidia Forceware drivers don't support Geforce 4200 go. Dell's drivers are a year old. But I can't find a driver for the 4200 on the page you linked to anzac. Could someone point it out, thanks alot.

rewt 11-20-04 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
But still, it should be playable. A 4200 Go isnt top of the line, but theres no reason he should be getting "1fps" in HL2. Half-Life 2 runs a lot better on my machine than Doom 3 did, so yeah, id say its ok to say that if Doom 3 runs Half-Life 2 should too.

Your word against mine ;) hehe

I would suggest turning all the settings down as low as possible, in the driver, and in the game itself. Then maybe it'll run at 2 FPS :p

Nah but really if you guys say it should run then it should run. Maybe he just needs to format and reinstall everything from scratch (excluding virus scanners and firewalls, etc).

rewt 11-20-04 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldo555
Ok, so the Nvidia Forceware drivers don't support Geforce 4200 go. Dell's drivers are a year old. But I can't find a driver for the 4200 on the page you linked to anzac. Could someone point it out, thanks alot.

mobilenvidia's drivers support all cards ;)

Old Yeller 11-21-04 12:17 PM

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/
Tried the lastest drivers from this site and everything works now. They are special modified mobile drivers. I was able to hit 38 FPS at 1280x768 in the torture test in Half-Life 2. I"ll have to play awhile to see if there are any bugs.

Thanks to all!!!!