nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA FreeBSD (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   FreeBSD 5.3-Release & Nvidia 6113 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41133)

tabmow 11-20-04 06:36 PM

FreeBSD 5.3-Release & Nvidia 6113

I installed the nvidia-driver port with complete success and went on to change Driver "nvidia" and commented out Load "dri" in my xorg.conf - I find that i had no problems in the xorg log no errors but when i run glxinfo or glxgears i get errors saying that it can't find a rgb buffered visual, i also get messages about agp.ko so i recompiled a new kernel without device agp and i still get the same problem. I had this very same problem when trying to install the nvidia driver's on mandrake 10.1 official as well. Does anyone know why this is happening? I followed the document to the point to no prevail. The card is a GF4 ti4600. Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Thankyou.

erek 11-20-04 07:42 PM

Re: FreeBSD 5.3-Release & Nvidia 6113

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabmow
I installed the nvidia-driver port with complete success and went on to change Driver "nvidia" and commented out Load "dri" in my xorg.conf - I find that i had no problems in the xorg log no errors but when i run glxinfo or glxgears i get errors saying that it can't find a rgb buffered visual, i also get messages about agp.ko so i recompiled a new kernel without device agp and i still get the same problem. I had this very same problem when trying to install the nvidia driver's on mandrake 10.1 official as well. Does anyone know why this is happening? I followed the document to the point to no prevail. The card is a GF4 ti4600. Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Thankyou.

make sure you have
Quote:

Load "glx"
you don't need GLcore...
in your video card device section try adding

Quote:

Option "NvAgp" "1"

tabmow 11-21-04 07:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I tried what you said and i still have no luck. I get this message coming up to the console: NVRM: Detecting agp.ko - aborting Nvidia AGP Setup!

I am going to include my xorg.conf and log for troubleshooting, i don't know what else to do though.

Thanks in advance ;oP

zander 11-21-04 07:17 AM

You're seeing two different problems, both of which are easily solvable. The first is that you're requesting the use of NvAGP, with FreeBSD's AGPGART driver present; the easiest fix for this is to add hint.agp.0.disabled="1" to /boot/device.hints (make sure you reboot). The second problem is that you're running X at depth 8; to address this, add DefaultDepth 24 to the Screen section of your Xorg configuration file.

tabmow 11-21-04 07:36 AM

Thanks heaps mate.
Your a legend!

24038 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4807.600 FPS

Woohoo!

JJ test 12-01-04 06:11 AM

Zander's fix for adding the line to device.hints didn't work for me. I rebooted but I still get the same error. This nVidia driver installer DOESN'T WORK for my expensive video card. I can't do my work! I want to disable agp.ko by default from the installer please!

How can I do this? Please help.

zander 12-01-04 07:19 AM

The device.hints approach to disabling agp.ko only works with recent (past FreeBSD 5.2.1, e.g. FreeBSD 5.3) kernels; on systems using earlier kernels, the kernel needs to be rebuilt w/o agp.ko support (this is beyond the Makefile's capabilities).

JJ test 12-01-04 08:06 AM

Thanks Zander. Yes I'm using FreeBSD 4.10. I'll look into rebuilding it without agp.ko support.

Again thanks very much for your quick and kind response.