nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Overclocking a 6800 NU (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41505)

wrugoin 11-27-04 01:31 PM

Overclocking a 6800 NU

Hey everybody, I'm a noob to this forum, and have been a proud owner of a Chaintech 6800 NU for about 3 weeks now. Sorry if this question has been asked, but I couldn't find it with the search feature.

I'm trying to overclock my 6800 NU from 325/700 to 355/755. I have RivaTuner downloaded and I'm using Det 66.93. I'm also using the pipeline/shader soft mod @ 16x1 6vp.

In rivatuner, I've noticed that low-level overclocking is grayed out. So to overclock I use driver-level overclocking. I set my clock speeds to 355/755 and test them. After they pass, I save it to startup settings and exit. I went to the Nvidia display settings and check the clock settings and also found them at 355/755. ALL GOOD? well.....

My problem is when I go back to RivaTuner and look under low-level OCing, it shows the GPU still clocked at 325MHz. The thing is, my memory was successfully clocked to 755MHz. I also check the System Details setting under 3DMark 03 & 05 and they also display my GPU at 325MHz and memory at 755MHz.

So, which is it? Is my GPU failing to OC? If the driver settings show my GPU at 355MHz, should I trust them? Or is 3DMark showing the ACTUAL clock speed and Rivatuner is just failing to change the clock speed of the GPU?

And Fianlly, How do I enable Low-level overclocking with RivaTuner?

Thanks for any and all help,
Mike

Diamond_G 11-27-04 04:48 PM

Re: Overclocking a 6800 NU

AFAIK, you can't with the newer version of the FW drivers. Either the drivers handle the clock speed, or you flash the card with higher clocks.

JWhipple 11-27-04 06:49 PM

Interesting Diamond, I am running a BFG 6800OC (non-ultra/GT) with the same driver version as him and the same Riva Tuner version. I was able to unlock the extra vertex processor but no-go on the memory pipes.. Anyhow, I used RivaTuner to overclock to 415/869 without any issue.

JWhipple 11-27-04 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Check the highlighted setting in the screenshot I am attaching - if it's not set, set it to the same, reboot and try your overclock again.

wrugoin 11-28-04 01:01 AM

5 Attachment(s)
JWhipple, Yeah, I had that setting already checked. I needed it checked to overclock in the first place. With the 16x1pp 6vs soft-mod, any overclocking woudln't pass the test so it needed to be disabled. Here are some screen shots of what I'm seeing.

So, after looking at the attached pics, what would you think the GPU is clocked at? 324MHz or 355MHz?

And again, is there any power-user setting that can be changed that'll allow me to Low-level overclock. (You'll notice that it's grayed out now)

Thanks.

JWhipple 11-28-04 03:32 AM

Based on the first attachment to the left above, I would say 355.. What program is that?

The reason I say that is that since the driver is reporting on thing, and a 3rd party app another, it's time to go to a neutral party and see what they have to say!

wrugoin 11-28-04 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWhipple
Based on the first attachment to the left above, I would say 355.. What program is that?

The reason I say that is that since the driver is reporting on thing, and a 3rd party app another, it's time to go to a neutral party and see what they have to say!

What you'd you consider a neutral party software? Please give an example. I've seen others mention cool bits? Should I give that a try? Or are their programs like CPU-Z for graphic cards?

Oh!, and sorry for not including the logo, but the first attached pic was from 3DMark 2005. Futuremark's System Details screen seems to be spot on accurate with everything else. That's way it conserns me that it only reports 324MHz on my GPU while everything else reports 355. BTW, I now find that RivaTuner/Low-Level Overclocking screen shows 355MHz also. It's just 3DMark showing the default clock speed now.

JWhipple 11-28-04 05:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is Coolbits if you want to use it with the current drivers. Hope this helps!

Just save the attached file and rename the extension to .reg and run it..