nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   OT: Half life 2 porting petition (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41538)

_tf_ 11-28-04 12:03 PM

OT: Half life 2 porting petition

FYI

check http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...hp?storyid=575

Quote:

Linux : Half life 2 porting petition
Posted by Anonymous on 2004/11/28 13:16:43

Half-Life2 Linux
Please sign this petition for Half Life2 to be ported to the Linux os.
I believe that there is no substitute for a native Linux game as Wine/Cedega
are significantly slower in my experience.
Valve needs to know there is a market for Linux games as on their forums any
suggestion for a port is dismissed, the usual comment is 'There is no market for a Linux port'.
Please prove them wrong.
L

MattNeedsHelp 11-28-04 01:25 PM

Re: OT: Half life 2 porting petition

Now that's a lame reply! How can there ever be a market for Linux gaming if they don't make the games for Linux?

Strange spirit voice from the skies I hear:
"Port the game and they will come."

-Matt

Spyke 11-28-04 02:31 PM

Haha, Valve doesnt care about Linux!
And besides, they can keep that pile of 'steam'ing sh!t off my hard disk.

Lithorus 11-28-04 04:20 PM

Personally I would rather have them stop with the only-dx-thingy and release their next engine with BOTH OpenGL and/or DirectX. When valve started with the HL2 engine, the level of drivers/features for linux was far from what they are today.

Spyke 11-28-04 04:40 PM

Well, actually Valve does care about Linux, but just on the server side, since they need stable servers, its all about money.

russofris 11-28-04 06:07 PM

Cedega (will) allows you to play HL2 under linux.

There are a number of reasons not to buy/play HL2, but those are for another web board.

Thank you for your time,
FranK Russo

MattNeedsHelp 11-29-04 05:40 PM

I know a lot of people who were upset that when they bought the pre-order for an extra 10 bucks without knowing it was a preorder. Seems it wasn't advertised as a pre-order at the store. They got the thing installed just to find out they had to wait another 3 days+ to get on the internet to unlock the game.

I wouldn't buy it since the computer I have the good stuff on isn't connected to the internet yet.

-Matt

J.F. 11-29-04 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattNeedsHelp
I know a lot of people who were upset that when they bought the pre-order for an extra 10 bucks without knowing it was a preorder. Seems it wasn't advertised as a pre-order at the store. They got the thing installed just to find out they had to wait another 3 days+ to get on the internet to unlock the game.

That wasn't a "preorder". Valve knew that some disreputable stores were selling games before they were supposed to in order to make more money. In order to keep things "fair" for everyone, Valve decided to make it where the game would need to be unlocked first, and the unlocking would only start on the official launch date when the stores were SUPPOSED to start selling it. Anyone who had to wait bought it from a store selling early instead of waiting for the official launch date.

Lithorus 11-29-04 06:39 PM

It wasn't to make it fair to anyone. They did it due to their publishers wishes.

Spyke 11-29-04 10:57 PM

Its not like it was Valve's fault. Incase for those that didnt read this yet:
---------------------------

Half-Life 2 For Sale?
November 13, 2004, 4:57 pm valve
If you have purchased a copy of Half-Life 2, we are sorry you are still waiting to play. This is not Valve's choice. Vivendi is insisting that the game has not yet been released, and has threatened that Valve would be in violation of its contract if we activate the Half-Life 2 Steam authentication servers at this time.

Thanks for your patience and we will update you when we have more news to share.

oldsk00l 11-30-04 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russofris
Cedega (will) allows you to play HL2 under linux.

There are a number of reasons not to buy/play HL2, but those are for another web board.

Thank you for your time,
FranK Russo

Ummm, excuse me, but if you're not a mod or site admin, stfu and goto hell as to what belongs on this board or not.

Cedega is a joke, and so is all of transgaming.

Leech 11-30-04 07:23 PM

Meh, you're not missing much... oh wait, the game kicks ass :D. Actually, (I'm sorry, I feel so dirty) I'm actually playing it under windows. But the Steam thing blows. Required spyware for you to play their game. I figure I'll win the game, and then remove Steam with extreme prejudice. Valve are buggers about porting anything over to linux, and it doesn't help that Cedega will play it. That just convinces Valve even more not to release a linux client. (Buggers are just as bad as Electronic Arts, who also only release servers for linux, and no clients).

I haven't tried this on Cedega yet. Is it really a lot slower than it is in Windows?

Leech