nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   MMORPGs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   World of Warcraff or EverQuest 2 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42095)

lmetza 12-08-04 10:04 PM

World of Warcraff or EverQuest 2

Well i want to buy an MMO, but i dont want to get one that i wont like or get bored of easily. Otherwise its wasted money (cuz these dont even have 1 week trials out yet). So ide like to get some opinions from people.
I have only played Planetside before (which i thought was AWSOME, as i was able to sorta glitch the trial and get 4 free weeks by useing new keys and it let me use the same account :-\ ) then i played the SW galaxies trial for a few days but found it was too slow for me.
So what would you recomend?
Im leaning towards World of Warcraft (as i really like Warcraft 3).

-=DVS=- 12-08-04 10:24 PM

Re: World of Warcraff or EverQuest 2

I don't know about WoW but i got EverQuest 2 there is way more stuff to do then any other MMO i playd more then just wack and slash xp sink hog,

Amazing Graphics for the future (a bit slow on current hardware)
Lotsa Quests (solo,group,raid,ect , got some very nice instanced quest reduced mob campeing greatly )
Houseing and decorations (own a house or apartament in different places not just inn , get stuff to decorate inside , have pets ect ect.)
Crafting items ( awesome game in itself , gather resource build from cheap to rare items) (Food/Clothing/Metal work/Wood work/Alchemy/Skill makeing ect)
Dynamic world (world interacts with itself , wolf hunting deer , dog chases cats ect to much to name , day and night changes in real time , night sky looks like real !! :eek: , fog , rain ect ect).
Awesome character customization.

Can probably name more :p

Connaught 12-08-04 10:40 PM

It is very difficult to say,
I own Everquest 2 and I can give you the reasons why i baught it instead of World of Warcraft because i think that would be more effective a displaying my thoughts rather than saying one is better than the other because I simply have not played World of Warcraft.

I baught Everquest 2 because I thought it was my congruent to my style of online play. I originally owned Ultima Online and absolutly loved it. The formation of player guilds and variations of players astounded me and I wanted another game that would reflect that. So I baught Everquest 2.
With its Guild system and prestege, player creations, classes and artisans really gave me hope of what it could be. After playing it for over a month I must say that I am both impressed and confussed. This game is bloody huge and the graphics are awesome (if you have a computer that can run it). That said, the game is also very complex and hard to understand...even now i feel as though I know only 5% of it all. I wish Everquest 2 was easier to get a hold of and become attached, I feel as though I'm trying understand this game but it just keeps pushing me back with its complexity (i.e Artisan Crafting...WOW...so many items to create, so many little hard to find pieces to find. One other thing that I liked about Ultima Online is that you could enjoy the game playing as an Individual or with a group/guild. Everquest 2 does not allow you the oppertunity to enjoy the game (advance in lvl and prestige) without having to rely on finding a group; both in Adventuring class and the Artisan class.
Because of the games highly advanced engine (designed for systems of the future) many have found that the game runs poorly or not as well as they would have liked, myself included. It is getting better though, I baught the game a week after release and had to turn down the settings so much to get a decent fps that the game looked like EQ and not EQ2 like i saw in the videos.
I enjoying playing Everquest 2. I'm not absolutly in love with it to the point i would say im addicted but you know...its a fun game. I'm happy with my purchace.
If you are looking for a game where you can jump right into and have some fun then avoid everquest 2. It takes time to appreciate and understand it, sure the Isle of Refuge is really fun and fast paced, but once you hit the real world (Qyenos or Freeport) you are hit with a seemingly imsurmountable wall of complexity.
I would hightly recommend that you check out Guild Wars if you are looking for a fun and simple (compared to Everquest 2) MMORPG. I did not buy it because if felt that the lack of player housing and relative artisan class left no room for social prestege.

At anyrate, wait a few months and buy Guild Wars or buy either WoW or EQ2...either way you can't go wrong.

-=DVS=- 12-08-04 11:21 PM

Yeah , my first character i just rushed throu EQ2 without exploring or enjoying the game i was all for wack and slash lol :p , big loss of me there is so much more fun if you do it slow pace explore and do stuff.

Guild Wars is a must have you don't need monthly pay you can keep it and play whenever you feel like it (something like online shooter CS have a doze of fun daily), but its arcade type of RPG game , not complex little to do , mainly PvP once you level up , quests and missions are very simple straith forward , but PvP is like combat zones pretty fun you can fight people from other nations , Asians, Europians ect :p in groups not solo . Graphics are nice and slick but not dynamic as EQ2 offcourse.

Whoever playd WoW could tell us about it ?

lmetza 12-08-04 11:39 PM

Just wondering, how is the damage system in EQ2. Cuz i didnt like the damage system in Morrowind where you rarely hit the enemy (swing the sword 20 times, you only hit 5 even though you could visually see the sword make contact each time) even though Morrowind isnt MMO.

-=DVS=- 12-09-04 12:27 AM

Hmm normal hits id say are from 60% to 80% chance of hitting and skill moves are like 95% rarely misses. Thats is if you play a fighter type and your main thing is wacking then you miss rarely , now if you a Mage type and you nuke all the time only ocasionaly melee then yes one hit every 3 swings , but you can rise your skills pretty fast :p

There is also other moves , blocking parrying , evading ect ect that mix up in a combat makeing it more fun.

Lfctony 12-09-04 12:46 AM

A lot of my mates in another forum seem to like Guild Wars a lot. It's been delayed though. I might give it a go though, since it involves no monthly fee.

Ninjaman09 12-09-04 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVS
Hmm normal hits id say are from 60% to 80% chance of hitting and skill moves are like 95% rarely misses. Thats is if you play a fighter type and your main thing is wacking then you miss rarely , now if you a Mage type and you nuke all the time only ocasionaly melee then yes one hit every 3 swings , but you can rise your skills pretty fast

There is also other moves , blocking parrying , evading ect ect that mix up in a combat makeing it more fun.

Hah hah, you actually just described World of Warcraft perfectly too. WoW also has a full guild system, item creation, awesome auctioning system, quests, raids, instance dungeons, blah blah. I think it's a ton of fun and I love the art style of the game. It runs perfectly all the time on my system as well. Like they say, it's really up to you. The only other MMO I've paid to play was City of Heroes, and that got boring really fast. I beta tested Asheron's Call 2, Star Wars: Galaxies (worst of the bunch by far), and WoW. I'm biased towards WoW because I'm a gigantic fan of Blizzard's games, too.

lmetza 12-09-04 06:14 PM

I got everquest 2, walmart was sold out of World of warcraft.

-=DVS=- 12-09-04 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmetza
I got everquest 2, walmart was sold out of World of warcraft.

You can read these tips , not found in Manual or game tutorial , very helpfull ;)
Tips

lmetza 12-09-04 07:02 PM

WTF is disc 10 for, it didnt ask for it during install.

nrdstrm 12-09-04 08:27 PM

Imetza...Dunno...I bought the DVD version. As far as EQII VS. WOW I think it's all down to personal preference. While I like Blizzards games, I'm not fond of the "cartoony" style graphics. I beta tested both and am really happy with EQII. Really if your an MMORPGer you should try both (kinda expensive) for the 30 day free trials and stick with wichever one you like best. For me it's EQII though...
Nrdstrm