nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   6800GT stuttering (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42808)

Eliminator 12-21-04 06:07 PM

6800GT stuttering
 
i just upgraded to a athlon 64 winchester with Msi neo 2 platinum and now i get the famous stuttering problems with my 6800GT.... i tried riva tuner with motherboard compatibility mode but that doesnt fix it..... i would prefer to keep fastwrites on as I lost 400 pts in 3dmark05 by upgrading to an a64 from an axp... i believe i saw on this forum some tweak in rivatuner... can anyone help me? i really wanna try to keep fastwrites on

saturnotaku 12-21-04 06:29 PM

Re: 6800GT stuttering
 
Yet another case of someone who could have used the search function. But since I'm in a magnanimous (sp?) mood, I'll do it for you:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32759

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37865

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40952

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39173

Chippy 12-22-04 04:19 AM

Re: 6800GT stuttering
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eliminator
i just upgraded to a athlon 64 winchester with Msi neo 2 platinum and now i get the famous stuttering problems with my 6800GT.... i tried riva tuner with motherboard compatibility mode but that doesnt fix it..... i would prefer to keep fastwrites on as I lost 400 pts in 3dmark05 by upgrading to an a64 from an axp... i believe i saw on this forum some tweak in rivatuner... can anyone help me? i really wanna try to keep fastwrites on

400 Points? Pah.

I have lost 4000 points. I used to be able to run my 6800GT at 440/1100 and now I have to drop it down to 410/1100 to stop the stuttering.

This - and today finding out that the borked video processor is not fixed and never will be - makes me very very near to switching to ATI.

A sad time indeed.

Chip

jolle 12-22-04 05:04 AM

Re: 6800GT stuttering
 
the "blit" settings in RivaTuner seemed to do the trick for me..
RivaTuner/ForceWare/DX logo/ Blitting tab.
enable the 2 top of the 3 settings..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chippy
400 Points? Pah.

I have lost 4000 points. I used to be able to run my 6800GT at 440/1100 and now I have to drop it down to 410/1100 to stop the stuttering.

This - and today finding out that the borked video processor is not fixed and never will be - makes me very very near to switching to ATI.

A sad time indeed.

Chip

hehe yeah, nVidia sure screwed you over by not making their hardware capable of running top notch at 90mhz above spec...
I mean what times are these? when people can sell things that wont work way out of intended specs? its all going to hell I tells you..

The VPU is a bummer tho.

Chippy 12-22-04 09:34 AM

Re: 6800GT stuttering
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jolle
I mean what times are these? when people can sell things that wont work way out of intended specs? its all going to hell I tells you..

Rather short sighted view that, Jolle.

You make no allowance for the fact that manufacturers specs are the *minimum* level of performance that the kit is supposed to deliver. Not the *average*. When they say a card's spec is 400MHz, they are not saying some will do 380 and others 420. They are saying they will *all* do 400.

In making a spec like that, they have to allow for some really crappy environments that their kit will have to work in too. Poor PSU's, overheating badly ventilated cases and bad drivers.

Isn't it reasonable that if you are an enthusiast, and you have really good environment for your kit to work in - rock solid power supply, great cooling etc etc - that the kit should actually do a bit better than "spec"? Isn't that what "coolbits" is all about.

What irritates me most is not that my card will "only" do 410MHz. Clearly that's not too bad and I have no grounds for complaint about that. What's *irritating* is that I know it will do so much more. 440MHz is no problem for this card with my other components. But because of a BUG that no-one at BFG or nVidia is prepared to investigate, the performance is compromised.

Its irritating, thats all.

Chip

saturnotaku 12-22-04 10:31 AM

Re: 6800GT stuttering
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chippy
Isn't it reasonable that if you are an enthusiast, and you have really good environment for your kit to work in - rock solid power supply, great cooling etc etc - that the kit should actually do a bit better than "spec"?

No, because hardware is engineered according to specifications set forth by NVIDIA. The GeForce 6800 GT was designed to run at a 350 MHz core and 1000 MHz memory. Anything you get above and beyond that is simply a bonus. What you believe your card should be capable of is irrelevant. While BFG does cater a lot of its business towards the enthusiasts, this group only constitutes a small fraction of the market. They want to appeal to the broadest range possible to produce and push as many units out the door as they can so the most people can buy them. That's simple business theory. Focusing only on such a small target group would be suicide considering the tough competition they face.

Quote:

What's *irritating* is that I know it will do so much more. 440MHz is no problem for this card with my other components.
Perhaps when you had the card clocked so high you were doing damage to it that you couldn't see. And that's your own dumb fault.

Buck Armstrong 12-22-04 11:26 AM

Re: 6800GT stuttering
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chippy
What irritates me most is not that my card will "only" do 410MHz. Clearly that's not too bad and I have no grounds for complaint about that. What's *irritating* is that I know it will do so much more. 440MHz is no problem for this card with my other components. But because of a BUG that no-one at BFG or nVidia is prepared to investigate, the performance is compromised.
Its irritating, thats all.
Chip

Its not a bug, and 440 probably IS a "problem" for that card, regardless of heat or PSU. While the GT might be the same chip as the Ultra, the Ultra has two molex connectors for a reason; it allows the GPU to run stable at speeds above 400, which many GTs won't do for very long. Even when people get their GT to run higher than 410, they soon have to underclock it because the GPU gets damaged. This happens even if you up the voltage, just ask around or use the search function.

So if yours is running stable at 410, you've got a good overclock for a GT. If you want to go higher, you should probably buy an Ultra.

jolle 12-22-04 11:36 AM

Re: 6800GT stuttering
 
OVERclocking, IE going past the given specs, is always a gamble.
Its become more comon, safer and there are alot more tools to help you do it, such as better cooling, cleaner more stable power, failsafes that will shutdown at overheating, Autoreseting BIOSes etc.
Even so, you take the card out of spec at your own risk, and it IS a risk in doing so.
It may not function as intended, signal integrity weakens without raising the Vcore which creates stability issues as errors occur, and raising the voltage adds heat, that will have to be disipated faster then it can generate or the hardware will eventually fail.
OCing is increased stress which may shorten the life of the hardware, as some Voltmodders have experienced at great monetary loss.

There is always a Disclaimer involved with OCing.
Still, there is often some overhead in most hardware these days, if there werent, the varying quality of the GPUs would lead to alot of failures to run at the guaranteed stock speed in alot of cases, and yields would be lower.
But simply assuming that a 350Mhz Core will run just fine at 440Mhz (almost 25% faster) and that its weak if it doesnt, is a bit strong, even with all the special treatment you give it..
400Mhz, which is alot, is something alot of people can get up to with the right cooling, the level of the Ultra, and that is quite a increase really.
Still, some of the GT GPUs might be GTs due to the fact they didnt qualify at the speeds of the Ultra.

Chippy 12-22-04 03:40 PM

Re: 6800GT stuttering
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnotaku
And that's your own dumb fault.

Arse.

55illinois 12-22-04 05:00 PM

Re: 6800GT stuttering
 
No, you're the arse for whining about hardware that doesn't operate properly out of spec. What a concept!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chippy
Arse.


noko 12-22-04 05:08 PM

Re: 6800GT stuttering
 
LOL, mine only did 390mhz stock and I was happy with that OC, more happy after volt mod. Now that temps in Florida are somewhat cold I can OC to 420 artifact free but normally never play a game over 400mhz. Principle is walking on a cliffs edge can be dangerous if you stay there too long. In addition the difference between 400 and 420 is just not noticeable.

Zetto 12-22-04 09:06 PM

Re: 6800GT stuttering
 
jeez chip, go over to ati already and whine on rage3d forums! :D

Just kidding ;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.