nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Weird startup problem with latest kernels/nvidia drivers (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43321)

sanmarcos 01-01-05 06:05 PM

Weird startup problem with latest kernels/nvidia drivers

1 Attachment(s)
Hi first of all, I'm running Debian SID testing/unstable, with Xfree86 4.3.0.dfsg.1-8 0 (policy xserver-xfree86). Currently im running kernel 2.6.8.1, with the 6111 NV driver. Which works fine. But when I try to update to newer kernels, such as .9 or 2.6.10 my driver doesnt work anymore, when I startup it hangs at the NVIDIA splash, and the mouse shows, first with the "busy" cursor", then with the normal cursor overlayed, I can move the cursor, but it leaves a trail, if I try to switch to other virtual terminals, I get a weird black screen with weird stuff on it. Im running a NVIDIA RIVA TNT (16 mb), on an Asus a7s333, on the AGP port. The chip is a SiS 745, so its supported by NvAGP. Also Im running an Athlon XP 2000+ with 256 RAM DDR

Any ideas? On the new kernels, i tried all 6111 to 6106, to 6629 (Latest), and nothing works. I read the Kernel 2.6.10 sticky thread on the board, applied the patches and still nothing. Im totally lost.

EDIT: Here is some new stuff:

marccd@athlon:~$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: RIVA TNT
IRQ: 11
Video BIOS: 02.04.18.03.00
Card Type: AGP

Im using GCC 3.3, from Debian, and I do get some warnings when doing "make install" on the new drivers. but it compiles fine.

Just in case, here goes my Xfree conf.

Lithorus 01-01-05 06:17 PM

Re: Weird startup problem with latest kernels/nvidia drivers

Are all the kernels self-configured and did you disable framebuffer?
Also a log would help alot.

sanmarcos 01-01-05 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Are all the kernels self-configured and did you disable framebuffer?
Also a log would help alot.

Yes, the kernels are self configured, and I have vesafb, but its only started when you append vga= to the boot line, (I use it for having a better resolution in the console), anyways, but I logged in without the vga= line already in single mode, then doing ctrl-d and starting up

Heres a log with 2.6.10 and the latest NV drivers with the patches. (The patches just fix the issue of the virtual terminals, now I can use them). [Not having a black weird screen on all the terminals I mean]

Lithorus 01-01-05 08:30 PM

I know it's not the solution you have hoped for, but why not try with the built-in "nv" provided with Xfree? The only reason to use the nvidia driver is for having accelrated 3d, the 2d is actually faster with the builtin drivers.

Edit:
Either way testing with the "nv" driver would also help figuring out if it the problem is related the nvidia driver specifically.

sanmarcos 01-01-05 08:54 PM

Lithorus: the NV driver is crap. And I need the 3d acceleration, why isnt nvidia releasing an update?,

EDIT: Btw, I tried the NV driver, and it works fine, it starts at a very low resolution, but it works, still I cant use it, I need the nvidia drivers to work, any ideas?

zander 01-02-05 05:20 AM

@sanmarcos: 1.0-6629 is incompatible with some older GPUs; this is a known problem, and NVIDIA hopes to have it resolved in the next driver release. Both 1.0-6111 and 1.0-6629 need to be patched to work with Linux 2.6.10 (Linux 2.6.9+ for 1.0-6111). Please stick to your working configuration until the problem with 1.0-6629 and your GPU has been addressed.

sanmarcos 01-02-05 06:57 PM

Thanks for your answer, when can we expect a new release?..