nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Disabling PS2.0 on FX5900 made me happy (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43525)

Daneel Olivaw 01-05-05 10:43 AM

Disabling PS2.0 on FX5900 made me happy

I'm currently running my FX5900XT (1 year old) with VS2.0/PS1.4
The visual loss is less than I expected, and the performance gain is tremendous. I realize this brings me pretty much back to my Ti4200 but at least now FarCry is smooth and I still have nice graphics.

Battle out of Hell looks incredible (outside the orphanage for example) even in PS1.4
I've lost a few reflections in painkiller, and some lighting (torches for example) have gone down in quality, but at least now I can have shadows. And in FarCry, no matter the setting before, inside the carrier was unplayable with those metal highlights.

Nvidia, The way it's meant to be played... not so much.
Bah, I'm still happy with the card. So, if newer games run like crap, FX users could think about disabling PS2.0 compliance. See for yourself, not everyone will like that though.

Pandora's Box 01-05-05 10:57 AM

Re: Disabling PS2.0 on FX5900 made me happy

thats all well and good. but i bet most will say that you shouldnt have to disable ps2.0 on a card that was supposed to have great directx 9 support.

Daneel Olivaw 01-05-05 11:02 AM

I know. That's been talked about quite a bit. I just wanted to say to FX users, "try it, maybe you'll find it ain't so bad."

Lame shadows and no reflections make a game look less special, but 15fps framerates make a game unplayable.
And I wasn't playing FarCry because of that. Now I am. I can aim and shoot a guy in the carrier without wasting 6 bullets because of lag now.

Good nice Rivatuner. This is mostly intended for guys like the one that posted "ack my 5900 scores 1300 points in 3dmark05" which looked to me like flamebait but, oh well.

Sazar 01-05-05 11:26 AM

end of the day... if the card is running the games you want it to run adequately... then thats the most important thing :)

congrats and enjoy... :thumbsup:

Daneel Olivaw 01-05-05 02:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
FarCry, everything at maximum except textures, high (last before max). VS2.0 PS1.4
No AA no AF
MipMap bias -1.0, rivatuner high quality texture filtering
Framerate smooth
recompressed to 85% in ACDsee

Daneel Olivaw 01-05-05 02:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)

FlyingHorse 01-05-05 06:02 PM

How do you disable PS2.0?

Pandora's Box 01-05-05 06:10 PM

isnt far cry mostly using vs anyway?

Daneel Olivaw 01-05-05 08:35 PM

>FlyingHorse: In Rivatuner (a software), http://www.guru3d.com
under Directx -> shaders -> pixel shaders -> force 1.4
I kept vertex shaders at 2.0 since the GeforceFX handles them properly.

I also use high quality texture filtering in Rivatuner, and a mip map bias of -1.0, these two combined give (near) perfect quality without using anisotropic filtering, so performance stays up.

And believe me, the few pixel shaders there are in the carrier made the game unplayable. I had to drop settings that I can now keep at maximum. Try it! (though with either your TNT or 6800 it's not really applicable) :)

Till now, it makes a good difference in Painkiller BOOH and FarCry. I haven't tried anything else.

fivefeet8 01-05-05 08:58 PM

None of those shots you took are using PS2. You'll have to go to the inside areas with lots of pipes to see some PS2 effects.

Daneel Olivaw 01-05-05 09:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fivefeet8
None of those shots you took are using PS2. You'll have to go to the inside areas with lots of pipes to see some PS2 effects.

Indeed, that's where framerates get unplayable. I know FX cards are crap (relatively speaking). But I want to play, so a slideshow of highlights on pipes is not what I'm looking for.

I wanted to show that the incredible graphics, water, trees, etc, are not affected by this.

now for the pipes (PS1.4)

Daneel Olivaw 01-05-05 09:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
. I'm not arguing, I'm making a suggestion. Thanks to all those who reply, pointing out that I need to show where we loose in quality was an important idea.

Thank you fivefeet8 :). Do you know of other obvious effects I should check out?