nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Feedback Forum (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   advertising with flash plugin (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44573)

flah 01-24-05 12:29 AM

advertising with flash plugin

Will you please consider making an option for registered users or something, which allows them to disable the showing of the macromedia flash object at the top of the page. I use amd64, so the flash plugin crashes my browser. Because of this I have had to uninstall the flash plugin which means I get a popup window asking me to install _every_ time a page of your forums loads. Fortunately I can stop that by disabling javascript, but then various things on the pages stop working (for example the search functionality). I realise the plugin is probably showing advertising so you may not wish to add the option of disabling it, but I wont see it anyway, and as it is, it is an incredibly annoying. I don't know much (have forgotten a lot) about the html object tag which is used to embed the flash plugin, but I believe it may be possible to add a section of html which will replace the object if the plugin is not installed, without showing a popup. Perhaps your web developers could look into that.
Thanks

MUYA 01-24-05 12:33 AM

Re: advertising with flash plugin

Not unless you start paying to be a member.

netviper13 01-24-05 01:28 AM

AFAIK we have many users with Athlon 64 processors here who have no problems viewing Flash.

Also, if you use Firefox, there is a plugin you can download to block Flash ads until you click on them. But ad revenue helps this site stay open, so I would suggest that only as a last alternative.

jAkUp 01-24-05 01:34 AM

I don't have a problem viewing flash pages.

SH64 01-24-05 01:40 AM

I dont have a problem with that either .

BTW did you notice that your nick only needs an "s" to be flash ? :p .. maybe that was intended ;)

saturnotaku 01-24-05 12:44 PM

I have an Athlon 64 and view this site using IE, Firefox and Opera - no problems with any of them.

flah 01-25-05 02:46 AM

OK no worries I will just put up with it - as you say it is probably not a widespread problem. I had thought that everyone using mozilla without a flash plugin would have it, but I am viewing the pages from work (also using mozilla, without flash installed) and I do not get the annoying popup - just an icon in the place of the object, saying 'click here to get the plugin'.

As for the flash plugin not working for me, that's because I use linux so my apps (eg mozilla) are actually compiled in 64 bit mode, and I think the free flash plugin was only available in 32 bit, which
can't be used easily by a 64 bit app. For the most part I have no interest in anything on the web using flash so I just uninstalled it when I realised why it was crashing.

cheers

saturnotaku 01-25-05 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flah
As for the flash plugin not working for me, that's because I use linux so my apps (eg mozilla) are actually compiled in 64 bit mode, and I think the free flash plugin was only available in 32 bit, which
can't be used easily by a 64 bit app. For the most part I have no interest in anything on the web using flash so I just uninstalled it when I realised why it was crashing.

See, you didn't actually specify any of that in your original post. Flash has issues even on 32-bit installations of Mozilla/Firefox (high CPU usage being the main problem). Macromedia hasn't updated the plugin since the end of October, and a lot has changed on the Firefox code base since then.

flah 01-30-05 01:16 AM

I didnt mention any of that in my first post because I didnt think it was relevant. I thought the problem was to do with the object html tag which embeds the flash plugin, as other sites with flash do not cause a popup dialog.
I have since investigated mozillas source code and I believe it is a combination of factors. The popup is shown by mozillas 'nullplugin' which handles any other unhandled plugin object types. It has a bit of code which pops up a dialog when clicked. I've looked at the source code for the nullplugin and the popup is only shown in response to a mouse release event (from any button). Something about the nvnews site or html document structure (or some other bug in mozilla) somehow causes the plugin wiget to get a mouse event. I don't know what it is as I tried navigating to the page without using the mouse at all and the popup still showed. Other sites embedding flash etc don't show a popup at all unless I actually click on them.

Anyway, I've just deleted the nullplugin - that suits me fine.

Also, Mozilla have accepted a patch already (from someone else) that makes the nullplugin respond only to button 1.

Yonkers 01-30-05 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUYA
Not unless you start paying to be a member.

LMAO!!!! Send mony via Paypal to MUYA@idiglatexmansech.com