nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   GeForce FX 5950 Ultra (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45015)

LisaDarln 01-31-05 02:21 PM

GeForce FX 5950 Ultra

I hope this is the correct forum. I'll move if necessary.

We purchased the GeForce FX 5950 Ultra sometime last year, but didn't use it at that time because we were told it would void the warranty on our computer. The original card that came with the computer has recently failed, and since the computer warranty is no longer an issue, we installed the 5950.

When I try to play EQII, I get this strobe light flickering effect, simulated tears, strange polygon shapes.

Googling the issue, I realize this was a common problem and fixed by using a downgraded driver. However this hasn't worked for me.

The driver versions I've tried are as follows:

Currently I have the 45.23 installed, having reinstalled it again to play with the various game option settings, but still the same results.

I'm ignorant about internal computer components and drivers, but I do know enough to uninstall previous versions before installing new ones, so that's not the problem. There's got to be something else and I'm hoping someone here can help me figure it out.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your replies.

Sincerely,
LisaDarln

MikeC 01-31-05 02:29 PM

Re: GeForce FX 5950 Ultra

Have you tried using Driver Cleaner between installs?

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

LisaDarln 01-31-05 02:35 PM

No, but I will try that right now. Thank you for your response, and I'll reply soon with the results.

LisaDarln 01-31-05 02:55 PM

See, now my ignorance will show.

There's a warning at the start of using this program, so I'm going to ask first.
In the selection box, do I choose nVidia, nVidia stereo, or nVidia WDM?

Thanks.

Clay 01-31-05 03:12 PM

Select the "nVidia" option, this is the main video card driver (Forceware). Just so you know, the other two are (in a nutshell below), you could select to clean those as well if you like:

nVidai Stereo: The NVIDIA 3D Stereo Driver, when used with compatible hardware, allows full-screen stereo1 viewing of many Direct3D or OpenGL based games. No other stereoscopic driver software is required.

When 3D games are played and the driver is enabled, the driver converts the image to 3D stereo and displays it on the screen. You can set up the driver to use either the page flipping or anaglyph method of stereo imaging. With compatible viewing hardware (such as 3D glasses), you'll see the image with the perception of depth.

nVidia WDM: The Microsoft Windows Driver Model (WDM) specifies a common set of services designed to support kernel-mode streaming of data for video capture, MPEG decoders, audio, DVD, and broadcast devices. WDM drivers are necessary for video capture and recording applications.

Clay 01-31-05 03:14 PM

Also, your 5950 may have a power connector near the back of the card. If so, have you connected a power line from your power supply to it? Does the card show any problematic signs just within Windows?

LisaDarln 01-31-05 04:03 PM

I uninstalled the driver and used the cleaner.
Here's the log:
--------------------------------------------------------
-------- 31-01-2005 -- 13:46:06
-------- Driver Cleaner Professional Edition 1.0
--------------------------------------------------------
- nVidia
File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\Inf\NV*.PNF)
File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\Nwiz*.*)
File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\nv4_disp.dll)
File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\nv4_disp.inf)
File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\nv4_mini.sys)
File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\nvct.inf)
File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\nvdm.inf)
File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\nvts.inf)
File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\system32\NV4_Disp.dll)
File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvuDisp.exe)
File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\NV4_Mini.sys)
Directory Deleted (C:\NVIDIA)
Registry Deleted (HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\NVIDIA Corporation)
Registry Deleted (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global)
Registry Deleted (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global)
Registry Deleted (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{1AFBF72B-58EA-41CB-B117-3CDE0857F4A6})
-----------------------------------------------------------------
From there I clicked the 45.23 setup icon. All appeared to install normally, asking for a reboot at the end. Yet, upon reboot, the little "new hardware" found icon comes up by the clock.

There's no sign of nVidia driver at all, no nVidia icon by the clock as there used to be. Nothing in add/remove programs. That's not normal is it?

Thanks again for all the help.

PS: The connections are connected, and no other problems seem to exist elsewhere on the computer. Er... before this weird bit.
EQ2 is the only game I play.

jimmor 01-31-05 04:52 PM

LisaDarln,

When installing a new card and/or new drivers it is most important to do it properly.

So lets just start again with uninstalling and removing any old Nvidia drivers that you may have attempted, but failed with.

Also, it is assumed that you have updated your motherboard with latest device drivers from manufacturers website. Especially now that you are using a 5950u spec'd vga card.

Now reboot and windows device installation facility will inform you that it has found a new device and wants it installed -----------> Don't let windows install the driver, just select to install a new "Display Adaptor" and point the installation facility at the directory where the "nv4_disp.inf" file of the Nvidia driver you want to use resides.

After Nvidia driver installation it is then important to install your monitor against its manufacturers driver, rather than let windows configure things against its "default" or "plug and play" drivers. A windows driver knows nothing about your monitor, so its DEFAULT drivers are only there to be used as a last resort.

And finally once display and monitor drivers are installed and you have rebooted, you must then use something like RefreshForce to set up your monitors refresh rates for all the resolutions you are likely to use. Since it is most important that windows is always in good control of your monitor.

http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/

Also, never set any refresh rates higher than those identified by RefreshForce, otherwise your monitors display may become corrupted or worse you may get locked out.

EDIT:

And for your 5950u card, you should be using a minimum of a 5xxx series driver. So try with 53.03 which is a known stable driver.

SH64 01-31-05 05:29 PM

Yup thats easy .. the 4x.xx drivers wont recognize the 5950 , probably because its not supported by them AFAIK . i had this trouble before BTW :)
just use any of the newer 5x.xx drivers & everything should work fine .

D3M0N S33D 02-02-05 08:08 AM

also lisa the best driver for your card is the xtrem g 71.20c if u need it my msn is amdduron800@hotmail.com i can send u it.

MustangSVT 02-02-05 05:33 PM

In my opinion, the best drivers for a card like yours, the FX 5950 is either 56.72 or 61.77. Don't use drivers older than 56.72. They're not optimized for games like EQ2 and the 4x.xx don't even recognize the 5950U from what I know.

macatak 02-02-05 06:37 PM

I find this procedure works best for me when changing drivers:
Remove installed driver via 'add/remove programs', at restart select 'safe mode'(hold down F8 key at boot-up), run Driver Cleaner: select nvidia,under 'Tools' select: Driver cab,then SP1 cab(Driver cab & SP1 cab not essential), restart, cancell Wizard, double-click downloaded driver package(if d/loaded from nVidia), restart at prompt, either right-click desktop or click nVidia icon to set display settings