nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Mandrake 8.2 cannot get NVdriver to load. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=451)

dbhost 08-05-02 10:00 PM

Mandrake 8.2 cannot get NVdriver to load.

1 Attachment(s)
In the driver FAQ (in the readme file on the download website and in the tarball) I have a problem EXACTLY the same as section 4 question 3. And I have taken all of the actions reccomended to remedy my problem. No change. Simply put NVdriver fails to initialize. When I run lsmod it shows up as being loaded and unused. Both the GLX and the Kernel modules were built from source rpm. When I run insmod like the FAQ asks me to the system complains that the module is already loaded.
How do I get my video working right?
System info:
Hardware.
ECS K7S5A. SiS 735 chipset with SiS 900 NIC and 7012 sound.
AMD Athlon T-bird 1400mhz 266mhz fsb.
512MB DDRAM
20GB ATA100 7200 rpm HDD
8x4x32 CDRW (EIDE cheapie)
16X DVDROM
Chaintech Geforce 4 MX 440 64MB AGP

Software. Currently
Mandrake Linux 8.2 Power Pack Edition All desktop componnents loaded, devel, network etc. Only SAMBA loaded as a server. (So my wife can get to her files from her Win98 machine).

Needs to be reinstalled once the video works right.
Corel DRAW for Linux.
Main Concept, Main Actor.
Soldier of Fortune (for venting after a long day @ work).
Quake III Arena
Quake II The Reckoning
Heretic II (I got a screaming deal on Loki games on closeout).

Can anybody tell me how to get this sucker working?

I am attaching the error output of the Xserver so that you all can take a look to see what I am doing wrong. Thanks.

raistlinneo 08-06-02 12:01 AM

I have the same problem, on the same distro.

I was able to fix it once, but its been a while, and I forgot how I did it. :confused: :(

dbhost 08-06-02 03:02 PM

Fixed it once.

Uh. Thanks? Mandrake wants me to reinstall the OS (already done that once), and then reinstall the driver (this is getting to be a broken record). Sure wish somebody would give me a real answer to what the problem is instead of sending me on a wild goose chase.

hteles 08-06-02 06:00 PM

Hi

I Think that you have an error in your XF86config-4 file, maybe upon on your editing.

PLz, can you rename XF86config-4 to XF86config-4.old and do XFree86 -configure and test it?

Goto init 3 first and then test the config

You can do that with the XFdrake tool, but it won't configure your config to the nvidia module

GL

dbhost 08-06-02 08:59 PM

Tried that, no success. Reinstalled the OS, no success. Unistalled the drivers using rpm -e (packagename) and verified the system and rpm database was clean. Attempted to reinstall drivers by building rpms from source. The build process fails saying it cannot find the file NVdriver.so, same story with the 2960 tarball. WTF is going on with the NVIDIA drivers? Has anybody gotten them to work with Mandrake 8.2 Power Pack? Should I go back to the download edition?
This is flat out nuts!

raym 08-08-02 10:04 AM

Do you see the NVIDIA eye logo pop up while the system trys to start X?

I have been working on this same problem for tow weeks now, and last night had some breakthroughs!

I I found the NVdriver file existed nowhere on my system.
So I downloaded the source tarball, compiled it, and checked for all the files. All the files were now in place, but still no work.
Doing some more reasearch, I found that the instructions left out one step, "modprobe NVdriver".
Once I ran that, everthing came up with openGL working!

By the way, as a learning experience, I refused to reinstall. I learned quite a bit about Linux with this and some other problems that crept into the system as updates and new software were installed.

Most of the help came from user groups like this one.

Neo 08-13-02 02:07 PM

I've exactly the same Prob and I use the
download edition.

I've tried a lot ways to install those drivers
but none worked for me.

Its allways the same error message:
Couldn't initialize NVdriver Kernel Module.

Any suggestions ? :confused:

dbhost 08-13-02 04:01 PM

Depends on the system..

What I did to get mine working, with that same error message is...
I went to Mandrakesoft's website, and downloaded the patch.pl file from the errata page. It is the file download associated with K6 and original Pentium systems. I am not sure why it works but it did... anyway, grab that file, and reinstall (sorry but that is what Mandrake reccomended). Basically boot to CDROM, when you get to the first selection screen where it asks if you want to install or upgrade hit F1. On the next screen type patch and hit enter, then install as usual. Make sure you install the development stuff.
Post install go into software manager and make sure that anything gcc related and kernel source related gets installed. Also make sure make and rpmbuild are installed. Now go fetch the source rpms. Save them in their own directory. I called mine NV. Exit out of X by doing control alt F1, then log in as root and type init 3 to change your runlevel. You do NOT want X running. Log back in as root, or as a regular user and cd to root.
Next cd /home/username/NV (enter)
rpm --rebuild NV* (enter)
cd /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586 (enter)
rpm --ivh NV* (enter)
watch the stuff go by until it brings you back to the command prompt then..
vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (or whatever editor you prefer).
In the modules area make sure you have a line that says...
Load "glx"

And under devices make sure you change driver "nv" to "nvidia"
Save your work. Log out of root, then in as a regular user and startx. You should be looking at a pretty Nvidia splash screen as it gets the screen up and going, and you should be good to go from there...
Good luck. If your experience is anything like mine, you are going to need it, along with some patience...

rev 08-13-02 04:28 PM

Maybe you can help me?

I don't get my card to work.. maybe yuu can help me...
my system is:

Asus CUBX
Intel P3-700@786MHz
384Mb RAM
1 IBM DTLA-307030 30Gb harddrive
1 Seagate U6 40Gb Harddrive
Geforce 4 Ti4200 64mb

I also use Mandrake 8.2, and i have downloaded the
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2960.i386.rpm
and
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.mdk82up.i586.rpm
and i installed the rpms with rpm -ihv filename.rpm
and everything seemed to work fine.. at least it said 'Installation Successful'
and according to the readme file on nvidias homepage - i should change from driver="nv" to driver="nvidia" in the XF86Config-4
but I don't have any driver="nv" in my file.. I only have Identifier="Generic VGA"
driver="vga"
.. in my XF86Config-4 file...
i have changed the "vga" to "nvidia" but that didn't change anything..
i have also tried to write Load="glx" in the module section, but nothing happens...

It's quite disturbing using Generic VGA as a driver.. the graphic is so laggy and slow..
When i installed Mandrake 8.2 the only gfx-cards that i could choose between was Geforce 3 and older.. no Geforce 4
so now i wonder how i shall get the Geforce 4 driver to work..

I tried all of the older geforce drivers (from geforce 3 and down to Geforce 256) but that didn't work (duh! ;) )

Can you please give me some advice?
I'm a newbie

Thanx
:confused:

gaff 08-13-02 05:32 PM

Thanks

Hello,

I've been having the same problems (complete linux n00b, you'll have to excuse me), I tried this method that dbhost posted and it worked 1st time.

Just wanted to say thanks, spent 3 days pulling my hair out before I saw this :)

-gaff.

dbhost 08-13-02 09:02 PM

Hope to catch everybody...

Let's start with my setup and then how I got it going and why I think I had issues...

My Hardware.
AMD Athlon 1.4GHZ Thunderbird CPU w/ copper cooler.
ECS K7S5A motherbaord. SiS chipset with integrated LAN and sound (SIS 900 and 7012 respectively).
Chaintech Geforce 4 MX 440 64MB DDR AGP card.
DVD + CDRW + WD 20GB ATA 100 hard disk @ 7200rpm (don't need huge, just fast. I have a server for huge).

My Software.
Mandrake Linux 8.2 Power Pack Edition including many of the included commercial apps.
Corel DRAW for Linux
Quake 3 Arena
Soldier of Fortune

Following Mandrakesoft's advice on this setup, I grabbed the patch.pl file, wrote it to a floppy, inserted it in my floppy drive and then...
I booted to the CDROM and when I cam to the first selection screen where it asked if I want to install or upgrade, I hit F1. On the next screen I typed patch and hit enter. I then installed as usual, making certain that the development and documentation groups were selected.
Post install I went into software manager and made sure that anything gcc related and kernel source related got installed. I also made sure make and rpmbuild are installed. Next I made a directory called NV in my home dir. Next I grabbed the source rpms from the NVIDIA site and saved them in the NV directory.
I then logged out of X which brought me back to my text console then ran /bin/su -(enter)
(enter password)(enter)
cd /home/username/NV (enter)
rpm --rebuild NV* (enter)
cd /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586 (enter)
rpm --ivh NV* (enter)
I watched the stuff go by until it brought me back to the command prompt then..
vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

In the modules area I made sure I had a line that said...
Load "glx"
Ther is no equal sign there, that is IMPORTANT!!!

And under devices I changed driver "nv" to "nvidia"
I then saved my file, exited from su and started X. Everything worked smoothly.

Why do I think it got it working right? A few months ago you might remember a snippet in the tech news about AMD Athlon chips and NVIDIA video chips. There was an AGP memory addressing issue that had to be worked around with issuing the "nopentium" append line in your lilo.conf file if it acted up and caused you problems. I hadn't run into this until this problem, but can see how this could have impacted it. Also Mandrakesoft delivers serveral of the commercial apps on the CDROM compiled optimized for i686, which can cause problems with AMD based systems (stupid move on Mandrakesoft's part.). Mandrakesoft issued a patch on their errata page, but list it only for early pentiums and K6 based systems. The patch is called patch.pl, and appears to be a perl script. I am no programmer by any means, but it looks to me like what patch.pl does (from reading the source code of it...) looks like it checks your hardware architecture, assigns the nopentium tag to AMD based boxes, and grabs the appropriate packages for your architecture.

With the exception of Soldier of fortune not giving me any sound, and crashing X when it exits (I think that is sound / SOF related as well) the system runs flawlessly now, the video is IMPRESSIVE!
Here are a couple of do nots for you to try to avoid...
DO NOT use the precompiled rpms if you can avoid them, I have had more trouble with the 2960 precompiled rpm than you can imagine, and from what I am noticing on the newsgroups I am far from alone. It looks like NVidia, or whoever built their rpms dropped the ball. SuSe and Red Hat users are all telling me the same thing... and it appears to be this current version of the drivers...

You now know everything I know about the subject. I don't know if it will help, I was drinking Rum and coke when I reinstalled, maybe that will help...:cool:

zeBarbu 08-14-02 02:29 AM

read the doc!

Hi all!

Hey, do you read the README file?

it is writen:
If you already have an XF86Config file working with a different driver
(such as the 'nv' or 'vesa' driver), then all you need to do is find
the relevant Device section and replace the line:

Driver "nv"
(or Driver "vesa")

with

Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure you have:

Load "glx"

You should also remove the following lines:

Load "dri"
Load "GLcore"

if they exist. There are also numerous options that can be added to
the XF86Config file to fine-tune the NVIDIA XFree86 driver. Please see
Appendix D for a complete list of these options.

All you need to do is to edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, and do what is needed.

(for more info, report to http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_4...960/README.txt
)

have fun!

ZeBarbu