nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   MMORPGs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Order Pizza in EQ2! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46182)

jAkUp 02-18-05 11:09 PM

Order Pizza in EQ2!

Quote:

In this week's latest CNN Game Over Column: "While ads have been trickling into games for a while now, that trickle is about to become a torrent. This week's Game Over column on CNN/Money looks at the coming flood and discusses two of the more unusual approaches. EverQuest II players will be able to order pizza in-game starting next week - and be on the look out for all sorts of ads in the new Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six games. The question is: How will players react?"
http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/17/comm...ming/index.htm

I actually think this is a good idea. Making video games nowadays costs millions. This will help with revenue, and possible better games by developers not worrying so much about loss of money from taking risks with game ideas that are not mainstream.

Its beginning to get to the point where its either, charge more money for games, or have ads and such to make up for the huge expenses in game development. I really doubt they will make the ads too intrusive, although I can see where it might be.

SH64 02-18-05 11:13 PM

Re: Order Pizza in EQ2!

Quote:

and be on the look out for all sorts of ads in the new Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six games. The question is: How will players react?"
exactly what we need now .. ads in games :rolleyes:

ChrisRay 02-18-05 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAkUp
http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/17/comm...ming/index.htm

I actually think this is a good idea. Making video games nowadays costs millions. This will help with revenue, and possible better games by developers not worrying so much about loss of money from taking risks with game ideas that are not mainstream.

Its beginning to get to the point where its either, charge more money for games, or have ads and such to make up for the huge expenses in game development. I really doubt they will make the ads too intrusive, although I can see where it might be.

Battle.net has been doing it for a long time now.

circuitbreaker8 02-18-05 11:18 PM

Lol....people are taking games a little to seriously..

jAkUp 02-18-05 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by circuitbreaker8
Lol....people are taking games a little to seriously..

Why should it not be taken seriously? Gaming is growing and is approaching movie size production quickly. You see it all the time in movies, it only makes sense that one of the other biggest forms of entertainment would have it also, gaming.

Edge 02-18-05 11:58 PM

Actually I've seen this a long time ago, I remember Jet Moto had a whole bunch of billboards and such along the racetracks. I don't actually think it's that bad of an idea as long as the money is put to good use, or better yet the game is made cheaper because of it.

Actually...that just gave me an idea: what if rather than a monthly fee in MMORPGs, they just have advertisements and such in-game to pay to keep the game running? I don't know about you, but I would rather have to walk by a few advertisements in-game than pay a recurring fee! Unfortunatly, it seems Everquest 2 now has income from BOTH sources...so much for passing the savings onto the customer :rolleyes:

LycosV 02-18-05 11:58 PM

I've always liked advertising in games (when it's done correctly). When the pop can on the desk is Pepsi or Coke, or when the billboards advertise Axe (Holy crap there were alot of those in I think NFSU:2) it makes it look more real. Fake items and advertisements in games take time to come up with good ones and distract from the realism. Having real ads in games gives them some extra cash, or at least doesn't cost anything, and it makes the games tap into our actual lives.

nVidi0t 02-19-05 12:00 AM

I feel that adverts would really be detrimental to the sense of disbelief you often get in RPG games in a fantasy/sci-fi setting.

Lil Sassy 02-19-05 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SH64
exactly what we need now .. ads in games :rolleyes:

Some games can benefit from real world ads being part of the environment, but only the ones set in the present.

If it gets to the point where I am drinking Coke to boost my stamina and buying Nike Plate Mail in The Elder Scroll IV, I will stop playing games, (which would REALLY SUCK!!!)

SH64 02-19-05 12:09 AM

That will depend of where they put the ads .. if they put them in the right place in the right game .. it will be alright & fine by me .. & like what you said it could make the game even more realstic .
but if they used it in wrong places throught the game like loading or intro screens that will be a disaster . imagine some companies ask for longer loading screen for there ads ! heh
or ads like " Quake IV powered by Pepsi" or " Stalker .. brought to you by Hardeez" :p

jAkUp 02-19-05 12:13 AM

Hopefully they throw in some Hooter's ads :D

Lil Sassy 02-19-05 12:22 AM

Yea, they'll ship Quake IV with a cheapy usb bar code scanner and Pepsi will start putting a unique bar code on every can.

Want to host a DM with 12 bots? Scan 2 cans. Want a 16 player lan game? You'll need 16 copies of the game, you'll need to BUY the latest patch, and then scan 6 cans, adding a can for each map change.

Argggg, the possibilities!!!!! :thumbdwn: