nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Over clocking my BFG 6800GT (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47868)

Vengeance 03-18-05 08:09 PM

Over clocking my BFG 6800GT

I hope this is the right forum to post this. But I have a question about OCing my BFG 6800GT OC. :p I have the reference design BFG 6800GT and I installed coolbits overclocking tool. And I have the newest set of drivers from nvidia. I let the coolbits check to see what my maximum OC is and it set my card to 434 on the core and set the memory to 1.12GHz. I've left it set there and ran some benchmarks, and a few games and it's a BEAST! So far so good, no artifacts, and it seems real stable. I try to check the temp as fast as I can after say running 3DMark2K5 and the highest I have seen it was 72c. but it was dropping. This card more than doubled my score in 2K5 with my old 9800Pro. But what my question is this. Is it safe to leave my card at this speed? Or should I set it back to say Ultra speeds?

Vengeance 03-18-05 10:27 PM

Re: Over clocking my BFG 6800GT

:scarey: I just clocked it back to 399 on the core and 1.10 on the memory. I was playing the far cry demo from PC Gamer. I was playing it at 1600x1200 and the textures would set them selfs back to Med. And then in game I started getting some messed up textures. And then it froze up. and then it rebooted my PC..... :eek:
Windows told me that my system just recovered from a serious problem. So I submitted the error report and got this back.....

Error Caused by Graphics Device Driver

Thank you for submitting an error report. Microsoft is unable to determine what specifically caused the problem you reported. To troubleshoot the problem, please see the information listed below.

Analysis

A device driver installed on your computer caused the problem, but we cannot determine the precise cause. Depending on which situation is applicable to you, please do one of the following:

If you are running Windows Server 2003 you may experience crashes if you have adjusted the Hardware Acceleration setting. Microsoft recommends that you set the Hardware Acceleration setting to None for server systems. To check your Hardware Acceleration setting, go to the Advanced section of the display properties dialog box.
If you know the manufacturer of the device, contact the manufacturer's product support service for assistance.
If you don't know the driver's manufacturer and need help diagnosing and resolving this problem, contact your computer manufacturer's product support service.
Updated drivers might be available on the Microsoft Windows Update website. At Windows Update, you can have your computer scanned and, if there are updated drivers available, Windows Update will offer a selection of drivers that you might be able to use. To learn more about updated drivers that might be available, visit Microsoft Windows Update.
For information about Microsoft support options, visit Microsoft Product Support Services.
Additional Technical Information

Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)

:thumbdwn: I'm hoping it was just the demo.

crayzboost 03-24-05 10:27 PM

you might have a problem with the seating of the heatsink, checking the temps quickly after a benchmark is done is not the best way, because temps drop a substantial amount extremely quick.. do a search for a program called RTHDRIBL it is free and well worth it, it will tell you your true load temps if you go over around 75c then i would check your seating..

get that and let us know how you make out..

Ninjaman09 03-30-05 01:06 PM

Far Cry is very prone to crash on an overclock, and tends to tax your system more than any other game out there. Like crayzboost said, try checking the heatsink seating, and run rthdribl. You may find that only FarCry gives you trouble.

Marcos 04-01-05 04:35 PM

ditch yer stock cooling Veng.

Zalman! Zalman! Zalman!

CaptNKILL 04-01-05 07:19 PM

Try unscrewing the plate on the top of the heatsink (the side with the fan on it) and clean out any dust thats in it. My temps raised a lot over the past few months and killed the OCability of my card. I cleaned out a huge hunk of dust and now im running at 420\1.17 with no problems at all.

Theres no guarantee that your card will OC well, but its worth a try. Just be gentle with the screws, dont strip them when taking them out and putting them in.

Vengeance 04-01-05 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
Try unscrewing the plate on the top of the heatsink (the side with the fan on it) and clean out any dust thats in it. My temps raised a lot over the past few months and killed the OCability of my card. I cleaned out a huge hunk of dust and now im running at 420\1.17 with no problems at all.

Theres no guarantee that your card will OC well, but its worth a try. Just be gentle with the screws, dont strip them when taking them out and putting them in.

The card is brand new so I don't think it could be dust. (But the inside of my case is a mess :o ) But my card OC's fine. Up to 434MHz on the core. But I leave it at 400MHz core and 1.10GHz on the memory. This FarCry demo is the only problem I have had so far. I just chalk it up to being a demo. So far everything else runs beautifully! And my card seems rock solid at 400/1.10!
I love nVidia again. :thumbsup:

CKTurbo128 04-03-05 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vengeance
:scarey: I just clocked it back to 399 on the core and 1.10 on the memory. I was playing the far cry demo from PC Gamer. I was playing it at 1600x1200 and the textures would set them selfs back to Med. And then in game I started getting some messed up textures. And then it froze up. and then it rebooted my PC..... :eek:
Windows told me that my system just recovered from a serious problem. So I submitted the error report and got this back.....

Error Caused by Graphics Device Driver

Thank you for submitting an error report. Microsoft is unable to determine what specifically caused the problem you reported. To troubleshoot the problem, please see the information listed below.

Analysis

A device driver installed on your computer caused the problem, but we cannot determine the precise cause. Depending on which situation is applicable to you, please do one of the following:

If you are running Windows Server 2003 you may experience crashes if you have adjusted the Hardware Acceleration setting. Microsoft recommends that you set the Hardware Acceleration setting to None for server systems. To check your Hardware Acceleration setting, go to the Advanced section of the display properties dialog box.
If you know the manufacturer of the device, contact the manufacturer's product support service for assistance.
If you don't know the driver's manufacturer and need help diagnosing and resolving this problem, contact your computer manufacturer's product support service.
Updated drivers might be available on the Microsoft Windows Update website. At Windows Update, you can have your computer scanned and, if there are updated drivers available, Windows Update will offer a selection of drivers that you might be able to use. To learn more about updated drivers that might be available, visit Microsoft Windows Update.
For information about Microsoft support options, visit Microsoft Product Support Services.
Additional Technical Information

Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)

:thumbdwn: I'm hoping it was just the demo.

It's most likely that it's the demo, not your overclocking. The Far Cry demo & Far Cry retail version came out before the GeForce 6 series did and is known to display graphic glitches/issues with thos cards. Patch the retail version to the latest version for it to display proper graphics for GeForce 6 series cards.

saturnotaku 04-03-05 12:31 PM

It's not most likely, it is the demo - for exactly the reason you stated. It has not been updated, and if it hasn't been to this point, it likely never will be.

technews 04-11-05 07:43 AM

woa I should have gone for the BFG !

I've got an Asus 6800GT, it's ok but nothing special. The problem is that I couldn't find any BFGs here in UK. Does anyone know any store that sells those 6800s ?

BornAgainPagan 04-12-05 03:58 AM

My BFG 6800 GT OC runs fine at 425 core, Mem at 1.1 Ghz. Great Vid card. Stomps the crap out of my old ATI 9800. Benchemall -All on high detail, Far Cry 1024x768 59.99 FPS, Call Of Duty 1024x768 170.3 FPS, Doom 3 1024x768 87.6 FPS. Haven't run the Half-Life 2 or PainKiller or others yet, but I'm expecting good results from them too. Those were run at 370 core 1.0 Ghz mem.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
P4 3.4 Ghz Prescott, BFG 6800GT OC 256 MB, Gigabyte GA-8KNXP, 2 Gb Kingston HyperX PC 3200 Memory @ 2,3,3,7, Audigy 2 ZS sound, Logitech Z-640 speakers, 720 Gb of storage on 6 harddrives - 4 on RAID controllers, Lite-on SOHW 1633S DVD/CD Burner, LG DVD drive, 550 watt PSU, Viewsonic G220f 21 in. Monitor @1600x1200

Mr_LoL 04-13-05 03:39 PM

A bit off topic but my ultra is smoking crack. Its running comfortably at 475, 1250 on stock cooling and it still wants to go futher. i'm happy :p