nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   framebuffer wanted (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48108)

QNo 03-23-05 07:42 AM

framebuffer wanted

Hi all,

Framebuffer devices are supported with the actual nvidia linux driver. But how can i boot in a framebuffer console? I can't compile the nvidia module in the kernel like vesafb or rivafb.

I have a Athlon 64 nForce mainboard and a GeForce6600 graphics card. OS is a gentoo-linux.

TIA
Chris

Thunderbird 03-23-05 08:30 AM

Re: framebuffer wanted

The nvidia driver can work together with vesafb (although serious problems can arise). Framebuffers like rivafb/nvidiafb can't be used.

Hannibal 03-23-05 10:16 AM

IMHO Nvidia should release some info about their hardware or how their software works that help write nvidiafb which not interact with nvidia kernel module. vesafb + rrc patch works fine but is VERY SLOW especially on old computers :( .

Other solution is that Nvidia can write own fb (maybe with some extra features ) and new nv X-server whitch use it instead current module.

QNo 03-23-05 12:40 PM

Not really what i wanted to hear *sigh* Ok, no fb console ...

Lauwenmark78 03-23-05 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QNo
Not really what i wanted to hear *sigh* Ok, no fb console ...

Correction: no accelerated fb console - except with pathological cases, the VESA Framebuffer plays fine with the NVidia X drivers.

Also notice that the rrc patch is considered somewhat obsolete and has been superceded by the vesafb-tng stuff.

The solution of basing X on a framebuffer driver would probably make 3D acceleration *much* harder to achieve, due to the inner workings of the Linux Framebuffer. And the benefits would be somewhat limited, given the small number of applications for which fb are currently used for most people.

Nebulus 03-25-05 05:38 AM

Iam using latest 2.6.11.5 Kernel, vesaFB kernel module, statically in the kernel with[*], and latest nvidia X driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-7167-pkg2

Iam using lilo as bootmanager, and have added this line to lillo.conf:
vga=0x31A #1280x1024x16 5:6:5 RGB

Linux is booting very nice with 1280x1024 text console, and X11 is running stable with 3D acceleration. I can switch consoles with ALT-Fn, no hangs, no crashes. Cheers.

Linux:[*] Support for frame buffer devices[*] VESA VGA graphics support [*] Video mode selection support
<*> Framebuffer Console support │ │
│ │[*] Select compiled-in fonts [*] Sparc console 8x16 font

mildred 04-05-05 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebulus
Linux is booting very nice with 1280x1024 text console, and X11 is running stable with 3D acceleration. I can switch consoles with ALT-Fn, no hangs, no crashes. Cheers.

Is the tv-out works fine ? Not in my computer.