nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   command line arguments 7167 MDK10.1 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48237)

billybeag 03-25-05 09:27 AM

command line arguments 7167 MDK10.1

Trying to install the 7167 driver package under mdk 10.1, after a complete reinstall.
Strangely the last ime it managed to identify the kernel source with no probs, this time however, the installer is exiting after not finding the correct kernel source code tree, I have the ld utility installed, I have identified (I think anyway), the correct kernel source and it seems to be located in /boot and is named kernel.h-2.6.8.1-24mdk.
I have tried to point the way to this file with:
./NVIDIA- blah-blah.run -kernel.h-2.6.8.1-24mdk option but it still exits with the same error.
my questions are:
1. am I looking in the right place? I have copied the package to this folder /boot hoping this would help.
2. what are the exact options to run which will show the installer the right folder, I have tried ./ NVIDIA-blah.run -kernel.h-2.6.8.1-24mdk -/boot and it gives me an incorrect usage error.
I am totally knew to linux. So the command line argument busines is a new experience for me.

I have tried searching for a solution in this forum but I am getting tons of results and all those "congratulations nvidia" messages are a bit of a waste of space imho.
It would be a really good idea if specific problems and results were weeded out and listed seperately to save those troubleshooting a bit of time, it would save many repetitive questions too.
I really need to get this up and working my card, geforce4 Ti 4200 keeps freezing with the stock mdk drivers and a few bad shutdowns have borked the odd file.
cheers.
Billy

TurboI 03-28-05 09:56 PM

Re: command line arguments 7167 MDK10.1

OK. First, log out of X windows, and log on as root into terminal mode(press ctrl-alt-f1). Type "init 3" and press enter. This shuts down X from running in the background. Now run the installer, without any command line options. If it gives you problems, make sure you have the kernel source files installed. Either urpmi kernel-source-2.6 or install kernel-source-2.6 from the software installer.

Run the installer, and when it finishes successfully, edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf as described in /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README. Use the "less" command to read it, like less /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README. Anyway, you have to put the line nvidia at the end of /etc/modprobe.preload also, but the README does not tell you that. Reboot, and you should be good. The NVIDIA logo should show up as X loads, and you should be able to run glxgears from the terminal/run command.

Good Luck, post back if you need more pointers...

billybeag 03-31-05 12:34 PM

Thanks that was a great help. I have done everything you mentioned before including the kernel source in the MMC apart from using urpmi, so I installed the kernel source with urpmi as suggested, and the installer gets past the previous block and tries to compile it's own kernel module, why this makes a difference opposed to the MMC I don't know...
However, I am now recieving a different error:

ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This is most likely
because the kernel module was built using the wrong kernel source files.
Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your
kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the
'kernel-source' rpm installed. If you know the correct kernel source
files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the
'--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
-> Kernel module load error: insmod: error inserting './usr/src/nv/nvidia.ko':

I have seen this same message on another thread:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48162

And as a result have been through every variation on there.
I had no problems with the previous release, and there is absolutely no difference in the way I reinstalled MDK 10.1

I now note that there are another set of drivers available since I first posted this, apparently purporting to fix some installation problems.
I will download them and see if they do address the issues that are stopping me from being able to do such a simple installation.

billybeag 03-31-05 12:57 PM

Well these (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1) updated drivers are exiting with the same message.

ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This is most likely
because the kernel module was built using the wrong kernel source files.
Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your
kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the
'kernel-source' rpm installed. If you know the correct kernel source
files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the
'--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
-> Kernel module load error: insmod: error inserting './usr/src/nv/nvidia.ko':
-1 Invalid module format

Looks like the installation issues addressed weren't mine then.

chunkey 03-31-05 01:01 PM

please, run dmesg and attach the output here...

zander 03-31-05 01:14 PM

Please attach the /var/log/nvidia-installer.log file.

billybeag 03-31-05 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay I haven't removed any of the output at all most of it is the Shorewall.
there are a few lines referring to NVidia in there though...

zander 03-31-05 01:21 PM

nvidia: version magic '2.6.8.1-24mdk 686 gcc-3.4' should be '2.6.8.1-12mdk 686 gcc-3.4'

Looks like the kernel source tree is out of sync with the currently installed kernel; my guess is you'll need to install the correct kernel-source package for 2.6.8.1-12mdk or upgrade your kernel to 2.6.8.1-14mdk.

billybeag 03-31-05 01:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok here is the kernel install log

billybeag 03-31-05 01:39 PM

What I am sitting in front of is a standard out of the box installation of Mandrake 10.1, apart from the urpmi command I ran earlier today. I have managed to get this exact same problem on both this reinstall and the previous 2! All of which have been done to try and address this issue.
I don't dispute that the kernel source tree is out of sync with the currently installed kernel as you state, but from a standard installation? Before I urpmi'd the kernel source the installer wouldn't even attempt to build a module.
I even spent 4 hours recompiling a new kernel a few days ago totry and get round this.
you can understand the slight frustration.

zander 03-31-05 01:44 PM

I understand your frustration, but there's nothing the NVIDIA installer can do in this case; you appear to have the 2.6.8.1-24mdk kernel sources installed in /usr/src/linux-2.6.8.1-24mdk, but are running Mandrake's 2.6.8.1-12mdk kernel.

billybeag 03-31-05 02:07 PM

ok thanks Zander I understand.
I gather then, and remember I have only been running linux for a month now, that the kernel sources for even the -12 mdk kernel aren't installed by default in the installation.
In which case with that in mind, I am attempting to install the -24 mdk kernel from the managemnt console software installer. If that doesn't work then I will remove both the 24mdk sources and uninstall that rpm package and try to install the 12mdk source and rpm.