nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New demo: FBOs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49157)

Abba Zabba 04-14-05 01:30 AM

New demo: FBOs

Frame Buffer Object is the next big thing in OpenGL and is currently supported (although partially) only by NVIDIA hardware (ATi's stuff is in the making :P)
Anyway here's the hawt stuff :D

http://www.realityflux.com/abba/C++/...rm%20Aberr.jpg
Binaries
Source
Engine source

Subtestube 04-14-05 01:55 AM

Re: New demo: FBOs

FBOs are just another implementation of the MRT idea aren't they? I think I read the whitepaper on them the other week - they look neat. Seems to me like you can get around a lot of traps even present in the DX implementation of MRTs, and it'll be nice to finally get away from pbuffers (arrrrgh). Unfortunately, I can't get your demo to run, as my version of OGL doesn't currently support the required extension.. I imagine that if I upgraded to a new beta driver, post 75, I'd be able to run it? Or is that not the case?

EDIT: Ahhhh! I remember where I saw them - there was a presentation on them at the GDC recently that was put online on the NV website.

Abba Zabba 04-14-05 02:02 AM

FBO are mostly a replacement to using the PBuffers and their evil context switch (good riddance).
Also they can save you multiple costly calls to glCopyTexSubImage2D (in the case of a cubemap for instance).
I'm using the 76.41 drivers and so far everything seems to run just fine, however for those who haven't updated their drivers yet, I still provide a couple of fall back solutions that use either PBuffers (sigh...) or the aforementioned glCopyTexSubImage2D...
PS: MRT or multiple render targets are different things.

Subtestube 04-14-05 02:59 AM

Mmm, I'm aware that MRTs are different, but my understanding was that one of the purposes of FBOs was to create a more tightly unified method of using MRTs and Offscreen render targs - or is that not the case?

Linuxhippy 04-15-05 04:21 AM

EXT_Framebuffer??

Hi there!

I am using the linux-driver 7174, but I cannot find EXT_FRAMEBUFFER :-(
Or is it just implemented on a limited set of hardware?

lg Clemens

bkswaney 04-15-05 04:22 AM

Cool! :)

Abba Zabba 04-15-05 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subtestube
Mmm, I'm aware that MRTs are different, but my understanding was that one of the purposes of FBOs was to create a more tightly unified method of using MRTs and Offscreen render targs - or is that not the case?

I dunno about multiple frame buffers active at the same time, I have to read the specs a bit more and get back to you.

Quote:

Hi there!

I am using the linux-driver 7174, but I cannot find EXT_FRAMEBUFFER :-(
Or is it just implemented on a limited set of hardware?

lg Clemens
It's ok, even the official drivers released a couple of days ago have no support for the Frame Buffer extension. It will take sometime before a public release officially supports them. The bit of good news is, this extension is likely to be available on a large selection of hardware ( read all the way back to the Geforce 256).

Linuxhippy 04-15-05 07:21 AM

Great!

Quote:

It's ok, even the official drivers released a couple of days ago have no support for the Frame Buffer extension. It will take sometime before a public release officially supports them. The bit of good news is, this extension is likely to be available on a large selection of hardware ( read all the way back to the Geforce 256).
Wow - thats great! I have a GF488Go in my laptop and you know, changing graphic bard isn't that easy with notebooks ;-)
Just great!

lg Clemens

yooyo 04-17-05 05:44 AM

FBO is not hw feature.. It's a OpenGL API feature.

This mean... When new driveres came out all GF cards will support FBO.

yooyo

lcs 04-17-05 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yooyo
FBO is not hw feature.. It's a OpenGL API feature.

This mean... When new driveres came out all GF cards will support FBO.

yooyo

But when, oh when will the drivers be available for Linux? It feels like I've been waitng forever. :(

yooyo 04-17-05 06:35 AM

NV claims tht they will support FBO in upcoming official rel. 75 drivers. I don't know for a Linux but im sure it will be avaible in next 2-3 months.
AFAIK, official 75 release will be in May 2005.

Abba Zabba 04-17-05 10:47 AM

I don't recall claiming that FBOs are restricted for a specific hardware range, I did read somewhere however that support for this extension might not go out of the GF range (and hence my "all the way back to the GF 256" comment).
I believe ATi might introduce partial support for their R200, aka Radeon 8500-9250, but I'm not sure whetheir they will support the original radeon or not.
/shrugs as he hugs his GF 6800 :D