nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Gefore 4 ti4600 > HDTV > Samsung WS-32Z308P (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50985)

Daij-Djan 05-23-05 03:00 AM

Gefore 4 ti4600 > HDTV > Samsung WS-32Z308P

Hi I am a total newbie with HDTV,
I bought Samsung's new WS-32Z308P hdtv-enabled TV.
Now I want to make windows xp send a hdtv-Signal to my TV.
(I only get 800x600 at 60Hz via TV-Out)

My video card is a GeForce4 Ti4600 with the Conexant CX25871
My Tv does NOT have DVI but only analog inputs. (YUV component, not RGB!)

(I think I need to to go the internal DVI-I but as the TV only has COMPONENT YUV, I need to make it output as YUV... or use a transcoder

P.S I know I should search but I searched for hours and am simply frustrated
Got my new TV and wanted ONLY to display HDTV! (It appeared so easy to me...)

FearMeAll 05-23-05 05:48 AM

Re: Gefore 4 ti4600 > HDTV > Samsung WS-32Z308P

You need dvi on your card to get full hd potential...I believe svideo is a max of 1024x768 and text is blurry that way and colors are not as good.
some of the older hdtvs had a vga slot I think but if you have anything recent they don't. My 46"sony hdtv didn't even had dvi but rather an hdmi plugin. So I went and bought a 150 dollar monster cable that converted dvi(from my 6800) to hdmi. It looks absolutely stunning and text is quite readable and colors are extremely good.
You are probably going to have to get a card that has dvi.
also you pretty much have to get games that support odd widescreen resolutions because if you don't they will look like crap as they won't scale so well. But the games that do work look absolutely stunning.
Go here for good info (widescreengamingforum.com)
BTW there are also component converters you can buy for around 200 dollars that will work. Just search on google for them they exist. I almost got one.
You should have an hdmi plugin though if your tv is a recent design.

Daij-Djan 05-23-05 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearMeAll
You need dvi on your card to get full hd potential...I believe svideo is a max of 1024x768 and text is blurry that way and colors are not as good.

As thankful as I am for an answer the 4ers ?all/most? have DVII:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daij-Djan
(I think I need to to go the internal DVI-I but as the TV only has COMPONENT YUV, I need to make it output as YUV... or use a transcoder

FearMeAll 05-23-05 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daij-Djan
As thankful as I am for an answer the 4ers ?all/most? have DVII:

hmm..read a little more of my post..you can get component converters that will change dvi to component video. It should look pretty good.
look here at a decent price too: dvi to component

Daij-Djan 05-23-05 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearMeAll
hmm..read a little more of my post..you can get component converters that will change dvi to component video. It should look pretty good.
look here at a decent price too: dvi to component

I read all of your post but there was no link! What you found looks okay but is it really DVII (RGB) to Component(YUV)?

quik_2_win 05-23-05 07:53 PM

no, that cable will not convert DVI to analog component. You would need a transcoder to convert VGA to component...or, most 6600GT (and possibly some 6600non-GTs) have a component-out dongle that will work well for HDTV resolutions by supporting most common formats (1080i/720p/ even older EDTV 480p). That would be the easiest and least costly solution as a (quality) transcoder is about the same price as the card...