nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   MMORPGs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   WOW or Guild Wars? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52626)

Seph gPu 06-25-05 02:45 PM

WOW or Guild Wars?

I want to buy one, I'd like to try both, but only have cash for one. Which is better? I have read some reviews but I always find it better to get the gamers opinion. I like that Guild Wars doesnt have a monthly fee. How much is WOW a month to play? Is there an option to pay for a year and get it out of the way?

I'm leaning towards WOW simply because it seems to have staying power Guild Wars seems to be fizzling out already but I may be wrong. That's why I'm here asking. :)

Zelda_fan 06-27-05 11:45 AM

Re: WOW or Guild Wars?

I have pretty much played WoW exclusively since January of this year, and I can vouch that it is a fun game. It depends on what you are looking for in a game, but for me WoW fits the bill nicely.

|MaguS| 06-27-05 11:55 AM

I found them both boring, WoW is way to easy and GW just lacks something. But they are two different games so its not fair to compare them. GW is a Diablo 2 clone while WOW is a true MMORPG.

Honestly, no MMORPG has hooked me as good as EQLive did back in the day, not even EQ2.

Im currently playing WoW though out of WoW, EQ2, GW and all the other games mainly because I dislike SOEs decisions...

Zelda_fan 06-27-05 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS|
I found them both boring, WoW is way to easy and GW just lacks something. But they are two different games so its not fair to compare them. GW is a Diablo 2 clone while WOW is a true MMORPG.

Honestly, no MMORPG has hooked me as good as EQLive did back in the day, not even EQ2.

Im currently playing WoW though out of WoW, EQ2, GW and all the other games mainly because I dislike SOEs decisions...

Certain parts of WoW are pretty easy, but have you tried some of the high-end raid content? Organizing a 40 man raid team to kill dragons and MC demons is no easy feat.

|MaguS| 06-27-05 12:15 PM

Its all pathetically easy, I have not personally experianced any raids as of yet but have watched over my friends shoulder during some end game raids. Even he agreed with me that none of them compared to EQLives end game content as far as difficulty goes.

Even EQ2 is easy, guess this is the reason I get bored with all current MMORPGs. None of them offered the challange and learning curve that EQLive did.

I hope Vangaurds offers a nice learning curve, Brad at E3 said he was aiming for a middle road between them and not specifically aiming for casual players like current games do.

Zelda_fan 06-27-05 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Its all pathetically easy, I have not personally experianced any raids as of yet but have watched over my friends shoulder during some end game raids. Even he agreed with me that none of them compared to EQLives end game content as far as difficulty goes.

Try it before ya knock it! By end game raids, is your friend talking about scholo, strath, and UBRS raids? Or is he talking about MC and Onyxia raids? BIG difference. Some people consider scholo and strath "end game" becasue unless you are in a good guild, it is impossible to do MC or Onyxia.

Tr1cK 06-27-05 12:55 PM

Well IMO....WoW all the way. I havent played GW, but from what I gather it leaves a LOT to be desired. Why get a game like that just for the pvp when you can have pvp and so much more with a game like WoW. O wait, no monthly fees....I wonder why. Gotta have some catch to get people to play it.

Zelda_fan 06-27-05 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tr1cK
Well IMO....WoW all the way. I havent played GW, but from what I gather it leaves a LOT to be desired. Why get a game like that just for the pvp when you can have pvp and so much more with a game like WoW. O wait, no monthly fees....I wonder why. Gotta have some catch to get people to play it.

yeah and WoW is actually starting to pick up some steam as far as new content is concerned. After released we got: Dire Maul, Battlegrounds, PvP honor system, new epic items. Next patch we are getting: New lvl 60 dungeon, and high end epic raid dungeon Blackwind Lair. Can't wait to check it out!

Marcos 06-27-05 02:37 PM

If you want to play a MMO get WoW.

If you want to play an online RPG get Guildwars.