nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA FreeBSD (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   What are you doing Nvidiaaaa ??? Where is the AMD64 driver for FreeBSD ??? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53294)

raul_assis 07-09-05 05:08 AM

What are you doing Nvidiaaaa ??? Where is the AMD64 driver for FreeBSD ???

[This post is for Nvidia driver developers and managers]
Nvidia staff,
I'm waiting since February for your company to develop drivers that support FreeBSD for AMD64. Since FreeBSD is the best desktop operating system since it inherits directly from UNIX and AMD64 is around for almost 2 years I'd expect proper support for this combination. I will ask the exact same question to ATI staff. Since I'm planning a graphics card upgrade for the next 6 months, wichever comes first to develop this driver will conditionate my purchase decision.

Thunderbird 07-09-05 05:49 AM

Re: What are you doing Nvidiaaaa ??? Where is the AMD64 driver for FreeBSD ???

Please don't start a sort of flamewar. As you might know the main reason Nvidia supports Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris is not that they like us *nix users so much. The reason mainly is that big customers (Hollywood, medical companies, ..) all wanted drivers. Personally I think that right now there's not much demand from big customers for drivers and that's why it likely isn't a high priority at the moment. (note I don't know if this is the real reason nor do I know what Nvidia's plans are)

arokh 07-09-05 08:16 AM

Who decided that FreeBSD is the best desktop system? And since when did you need 64 bit on the desktop? I bet there's not a single reason for you needing it.

Of course, nvidia should support it, and they probably will at some point, but as the above poster suggests, big customers decide what is prioritized.

cjcox 07-09-05 02:16 PM

Given that Linux is considered to be a "minority" market... and that Linux users out number (conservatively speaking) FreeBSD uers about 5000 to 1.... I'd say you need to be a LOT more patient with Nvidia, who DOES tend to support FreeBSD.

LubosD 07-09-05 04:33 PM

Is there any commercial native software for FreeBSD AMD64 which uses OpenGL?

Spyke 07-09-05 05:03 PM

Most FreeBSD users are alike, they hate Linux, yet use Linux-libs so they can have their game of doom3. Doesn't make sense at all. I hope NVIDIA don't cater to you A64 users after what came from the mouth of *BSD users as of late about Linux.

uOpt 07-10-05 10:13 AM

Nice thread :)

What I can say is that within the FreeBSD camp AMD64 is gaining share rapidly.

What I would really like to see is an improvement of the source layer around the binary core parts of the NVidia drivers that is flexible enough to use the same binary core on Linux and FreeBSD.

Once there, you can have the FreeBSD people hack away at the source envelope as they see fit.

FreeBSD people did some amazing things along the same lines in the past. Making the Linux binary of vmware run seems to be about the same complexity as this project.