nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   BFG 6800GT OC Runs too hot.. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53383)

draygen 07-10-05 11:11 PM

BFG 6800GT OC Runs too hot..

Hello all,

I recently upgraded to a BFG 6800GT OC and so far I love the thing ...

I have one major issue ... The card idles at 64c.. and under a load it can jump all the way to 85-90C which obviously is waaay too hot.

The card is stock, i have not attempted to overclock it, or modify in any way.. The adjacent PCI slot is free so there is enough room for the two little fans to get airflow.

I put a house fan on the side of my case and it lowered the temp to about 59c idle and it still goes to about 82-85c under a load. I've noticed artifacts in Battlefield 2 and Final Fantasy XI.

Anyone have any suggestions other then returning the card? I've noticed most people are reporting much lower temps .. but overheating is a common problem with this card..

*edit* not sure if it matters, but my machine specs are:

Athlon XP 2700
Generic 400WATT PSU
1GB PC2700
ASUS A7N8X (Dual channel ram rocks!)

Thanks!

Draygen

Rytr 07-10-05 11:20 PM

Re: BFG 6800GT OC Runs too hot..

Contact BFG support and see what they suggest. IMO, your heatsink is not properly contacting the gpu and/or memory. If you fix the problem you might void your warranty. Although you could check for loose mounting screws as just a couple of loose screws could cause inadequate contact causing heat to build up.

draygen 07-11-05 07:46 AM

Thanks for the reply ..I think you are correct about the poor contact with the heatsink...

I took my card out and took a look at the heatsink, i can see a gap between the memory and the thermal pads .. I guess i'll be voiding my warranty rather then waiting weeks to get a replacement card.

hazindu 07-11-05 10:12 AM

Actually, those temps are quite normal for a 6800gt.

rewt 07-11-05 10:32 AM

Yeah but he said it is artifacting so something is not right. I actually took my heatsink off and put some AS5 on the core and memory it seems to work ok. One things for sure, those damn thermal pads are a mess..

j0j081 07-12-05 01:11 AM

Do the wise thing and invest $20 in some better cooling. I was hitting those temps to before buying my Zalman. Now it's great. 85 and up seems to be where the instability begins although its not rare your card gets that high as stated.

draygen 07-12-05 01:38 PM

The saga continues.. :-/

I removed the stock heatsink, applied a bit of Artic Silver to the core / each memory chip ..I saw a minor reduction in heat, about 2-3c both idle and under a load.. The card still artifacts/flickers spikes out of polygons.

Honestly I do not think its a heat issue now .. Because I ended up returning the card and got an exact exchange. It runs at exactly the same temperature and still artifacts/flickers spikes.

I ended up calling BFG Tech support, and after having me check the voltages in the BIOS and various other things, he deteremed its because my card is running on IRQ 19 (virtual IRQ) rather then recommended IRQ 11.. I personally think this is a strange diagnosis, since i've never had any issues with IRQ's since ....what, windows 3.1 / maybe 95?? But basically .. He recommended I force a HAL (hardware abstract layer) during installation of Windows... as its the only way I can change the IRQ. I'm doubtful this will fix the issue but I'm going to try it with one of my old HDDs..

I also searched the web, and found that BFG seems to tell everyone that their issue is because the card isnt running on IRQ 11 , or because its running on any IRQ over 15..

I'm so close to returning it and buying an X800 (i dont really want an ATI, havent owned one since the TNT)....

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Cinema4DXL 07-12-05 02:34 PM

hmm i doubt its IRQ because mine runs on IRQ 19 and ive had this card since last auguest so almost a year now
and its always ran on IRQ 19 for as long asi can remember

draygen 07-12-05 02:56 PM

I agree.. I doubt its an IRQ issue .. We'll see , i'm going to re-install windows tonight after work on a test hard drive .. and PRAY it works ,if it doesnt i'll find something else to try, because i shall not give up, this card is SICK and i would like to keep it!!! =) I am persistent.

loafer87gt 07-12-05 03:54 PM

Your experience sounds quite familiar. BFG may have a lifetime warranty - but their support sucks donkey balls. I have had two 6800 GT cards with the new Twin Fan LED cooler, and both of them were running so hot that they were causing my system to severely instable. My first call to them resulted in me being told that my system either has insufficient ventilation or that my ambient room temperature must be too high. Well, my Antec case has very good ventilation, and when I was having the problems it was January up here in Canada and my apartment was quite cool. During further calls I was told that my Enermax 650 EPS power supply was insufficient, despite having 36A on the 12V rail. I was then told to manually change a number of IRQ's in my system which totally fubar'd things, causing me to lose all my USB functions and necesitating a complete windows reinstall. At this point, I took back my card to the shop I purchased it from, and lo and behold, they experienced the same problems as I was having in a totally different system. So they gave me a second card, and I was very upset to find upon installing the card that I was having the same seemingly heat related lockups. At this point I called BFG and told them that I wanted a replacement cooler with the reference fan design. I was told to send the card back, at my own expense BTW, and that they would bench test the card and perform any necessary repairs to it. Turn around time for them to recieve the card, test it, and resend it back to me would have been around 1 month. I asked if was possible to give them my CC information and have them send out a second card as this was my primary video card for my workstation, but they said that this is against their policies. In the end, I said screw it, and bought an aftermarket Zalman VF700 CU cooler and it reduced my temps from 75-80 degrees at idle down to 50, and my load temps dropped from 110+ down to high 80s. I haven't had any crashes since, but now my warranty is nullified.

So yeah, they have a lifetime warranty, but their service, tech support, and policies still suck hard. This will be the last BFG product I purchase.

j0j081 07-12-05 05:23 PM

I still say it could be overheating because applying some AS5 isn't really ALONE going to reduce those temps enough to make a noticeable difference.

LBJM 07-12-05 09:30 PM

I hated the high temps with the 6800s esp when OCed. When running SLI it really heats up. my Bfg 7800GTX under 3D load gets up to 54C. in 2D it runs 47C. Nvidia's SLI isn't as good as the original 3dfx vodoo2 sli. when it is I'll go back to it.